Chapter Forty-Six

Layla.

Emma and I didn’t speak in the next few minutes after the warning was spoken, and all I wanted to do was ask her a million questions that she probably wouldn’t answer. She didn’t even show that she knew about the things she’d said, it was almost like she had no memory of them at all, but how could that be possible? Could someone have taken over her body for just those few seconds, to give me that warning?

My head was really beginning to ache because I was having hard enough of a time believing that she was a witch, but I had enough proof for that to be true. My finger was reattached, and looked good as new, magic had to be to blame. Medical science, even in this day and age with new technologies that were created by vampires, weren’t good enough to reattach a finger so precisely, so quickly, that it looked as if it were never cut off to begin with. The cut was gone on my palm, even the hesitation marks that scratched my skin; my hand was completely good as new.

I shook my head slightly, and let out a long breath as my fingers played with the pieces of straw that were at both my sides. There was nothing much else to do in a room that was literally so slim that if I laid down on my back my feet could almost brush each side. It was in the shape of a circle, and somehow that only made me feel more claustrophobic.

“I am going to die in here,” I said, and leaned my head against the rough stone that the walls were made of. “You don’t have to not tell me that about my future, because I can’t survive in here much longer.”

Emma cracked a slight smile. “Just breathe, Layla. You’ll be fine. Claustrophobia is just a state of mind, a condition, but state of mind. If you don’t think about it, you won’t have an anxiety attack.”

I snorted in amusement, and took a deep breath as I closed my eyes. “You make that sound so easy,” I mumbled and sighed. “We’re going to die in here, I don’t care what you say, Emma. Clearly, Marcus has an upper hand in this little game. The rules have changed; the future has probably changed too.”

“It is easy, Layla,” She responded, and let out a long breath. “And we’ve just got to trust that this part of the future won’t change.”

“Well, then, at least I know we’re supposed to get out of here,” I said, and laughed a bit under my breath.

“I didn’t say that.”

“You didn’t have to. It was implied.”

She cracked a smile. “Sure, sure.”

Despite that I didn’t know her very well, I admired her strong beliefs. She was willing to sacrifice herself so she wouldn’t have to break any of the rules.

“So,” I began, and bit my lip. “How do you and Justin get along?” I asked her.

“We get along very well, actually. At first he was a bit annoying and wanted to be the pack leader, but after a while we got used to each other,” She responded, and shrugged.

“When did you guys first get together?” I asked her, carefully.

She stared at me for a moment, and her lips pressed together into a thin line. “Together?” She asked me.

I frowned. “Yeah, um, he told me that you guys were together.”

“Oh he did, did he?” She asked rhetorically and rolled her eyes slightly before laughing. “We aren’t together per say, Layla, but I can see why he would say that. Nothing is official right now.”

“He keeps a picture of you in his wallet,” I said, and frowned again. I felt confused because Justin had a completely different reaction to the mentioning of their relationship than Emma did. My brother seemed like he wanted to shout it from the roof tops, but the girl in front of me appeared to want to keep it all a secret from everyone else. “That makes me think that you’re more official than you’re letting on.”