Chapter Forty-Four

Harry.

“You’re keeping her there?” I asked him, and my stomach felt unsettled. “But that’s not even on one of the Isles.”

He snorted in amusement, and I could tell he was still bitter toward me, but since Leigha was there it only reminded him that he owed me for saving him against his own kind. “Yes. Do you really think that the Rogue Order would hide on one of the islands that you control? If you do, then you’re more ignorant than I was led to believe.”

I sighed quietly, and ran my fingers through my hair. “Well, we’re almost back to square one. We don’t have any knowledge of that place, nor do we know the ins and outs of it. It’s almost like a suicide mission.”

“We still have to try, Harry,” Leigha said, a bit too sharply, and narrowed her eyes. “You promised me, and you promised Justin, that we would get her back. Don’t step back just because this is something new.”

I rolled my eyes. “I wasn’t backing down. We’ll just need to go over it with the others, and hope that maybe Liam or Niall know the place. They’ve studied the surrounding islands more than anyone,” I responded.

“You do realize that you could just get the information from me, right?” The lamia vampire said, and looked both us back and forth. Neither Leigha nor I responded, and he grunted in annoyance. “What? Don’t you trust me? Because I trusted you enough to sell out my own kind to get your little witch friend back. This is a two way street, you know.”

“It’s not that we don’t trust you,” Leigha said, gesturing back and forth between myself and her. “It’s that we’re not sure if the others will; especially the vampire that loves that witch.”

“Well, then, you’re going to have to trust me. And I trust that you’ll offer me protection in return for this information, because once I give it to you I’ll never be allowed back there. They’ll kill me,” He said, and I could practically feel the fear running off of him. It showed how much he truly feared his own kind.

I sighed quietly, and nodded. “Of course, it’s the least we could do, especially after we couldn’t save your loved ones.”

“No,” He said, and bit the inside of his cheek. “You saved my younger brother from even knowing that anyone was there. He was barely an infant back then, and they were about to go searching through the house after they were…finished with my mother,” He added with a small gulp.

Somehow, that information made me feel better, and it helped to push the darkness I had allowed to creep back into my mind away. It was still there, like it always would be with every vampire, but I no longer longed to kill him now that I’ve gotten the information I wanted.

“You never did tell us your name,” Leigha said, and tightened her pony tail. “I mean, you don’t have to or anything, but it’d be nice to call you something other than the lamia vampire.”

“Derek,” He softly responded. “My name is Derek.”

***

“You trust him?” Zayn hissed, and banged his fist against Liam’s desk. We were in the study once more, and were discussing the matters of what happened in the shed. Naturally, Zayn wasn’t too happy with the decision that was made, and I knew that it would happen. He was never happy with things that were decided. “Might I remind you, Harry, that he was carrying Layla’s bloody ring to deliver it to you. He was probably told to confess their location to throw us off course, or even catch us in a surprise attack. Do you want to take that chance?”

“Why do you care so much, Zayn?” I harshly bit back, and he pressed his lips together. “Because we’re going to save a witch, and last I heard you hated them to the point where you wanted to kill Bridget and Lauren for doing absolutely nothing but wanting our help to save their friend.”