Chapter Twelve

Sorry this chapter took me so long, guys. I've been exhausted and lazy, but I hope this semi long chapter will make up for it! :) Going to work on the next chapter soon, though I need to get to bed as soon as I post this.

Chapter is dedicated to @erinskittles for making the beautiful trailer on the sidebar. Go show her some love for taking the time to make it for me! :)

 Enjoy. xx

Magic. I learned about it as a child, and used to pretend that it existed with every chance I had. I was the type of child that would love to pretend to be invisible just by covering my eyes or even thinking that I shrunk to three inches tall just by crouching in the fetal position. Damaris had been the one to fuel my imagination, and he even pretended as much as I did. Despite his two years age difference than me he was always the one I was around, and he was my best friend. The only one that truly knew me, and now he was gone, on another Isle.

I bit my lip faintly and glanced around at the groups of people crowded around me. Everyone appeared to be having a great time, all but me, and it was my birthday party. I looked down at the leather jacket that was still laying across my lap, and ran my fingers over the smooth leather with a faint smile. Whenever Harry had asked me if I knew the person that had sent the present I had told him no, but in reality I only had an idea of who it could have been from. I knew it was from him though. But I don't know how he could have gotten it to me. He wouldn't have been able to know where was, let alone figure out how to sneak a present into this grand of a place.

But, if he didn't send it then who did? No one in the room with me right now could have known that this was the one thing I truly wanted. None of them knew me well enough and all of the gifts I'd gotten seemed like generic type gifts that you would give to a long distance relative you were forced to visit for their birthday party. The only gift, besides this leather jacket, that truly had some kind of meaning behind it was the present Harry had gotten me.

Automatically my gray eyes shifted down to my left ring finger, and I smiled faintly once more. The heart shaped gem pulsed carefully with each beat of my heart, and even after I purposely sped up the beating pattern. It still kept the rhythm, and made me even more curious as to how it could possibly do such a thing.

Magic. As I said before, that was something I truly believed in as a child. Now, not so much, but I wish I did because of how Harry had spoken of the reason my ring can do what it does, however, I just feel like there's a thin veil over my eyes and that leaves me unable to believe it. Or maybe I'm just to grown up for it. I don't know. I just wished Harry would have chosen a more simple answer so I wouldn't have to rack my brain for possible ways that would make it so I wouldn't have to believe it.

I shook my head slightly and bit my lip. I'm just tired, that's probably why I can't stop obsessing over this little thing. It's been such a long, eventful, day.

"You alright?" Eleanor asked as she sat down beside me. Her lips were curved up into a small smile, and she appeared to notice how I was caught up in my own world.

I ran my fingers through my hair and nodded. "Yeah. I think I'm just tired. It's been a weird day for me."

She laughed quietly and patted my shoulder. "Well, might as well get to used to it, Layla. This is how your days will be from now on," She said in a thoughtful tone.

I sighed and closed my eyes. "So I really am going to nearly die every day?" I mumbled to myself.

Eleanor cocked her head. "What did you say?" She asked, not understanding my words as they were quiet and jumbled together.