Chapter Forty-Seven

Harry.

My head ducked out of the way a split second before the bullet was able to hit me. It flew forward, and lodged itself in the tree. A small laugh escaped as I looked around, and saw someone to the far edge of the tiny clearing that was holding the gun. He was dressed in all black, minus the black cloak that I remembered seeing him in last, and his beard was bushier than it had been over a thousand years ago.

“Marcus O’Brien,” I called out, and crossed my arms in amusement. “Must you greet me in that kind of a way each time we meet? You know that it’s hard to get me.”

“Styles,” Marcus responded in a stiff voice, and didn’t move from the place he was standing. He knew better than to charge straight at me. I was smarter than him. “Hard to get you, yes, but not impossible. I think that this will be the last time we’ll meet.”

“Oh, how sad. I enjoyed the constant hunting of each other,” I said, and continued crossing my arms. “I should’ve known that you and your ignorant order would’ve been behind all of this.” I looked down at Damaris, whom was still laying by my feet bleeding a pace that was unusual for a vampire. His heart race was slowing down just slightly, and I couldn’t help but think that witch magic was involved. There wasn’t much of another reason.

“Ignorant?” He scoffed slightly, and rolled his eyes. “I’ve got you here, Styles, and I’ve got you right where I want you.”

I smirked as I stared at him for a few seconds, deciding that now was the time to be a bit more arrogant than I would usually be. “You said that exact same phrase last time we met, on the battle field, just before I took control over our kind.”

Our kind?” He seethed through his teeth in annoyance. “As far as I’m concerned the lamia vampires and the made vampires are two completely different species; one being the more superior, of course.”

“Well, in that case, then the made vampires are the more superior considering who’s in charge,” I responded, and shook my head with humor filling my entirety. I knew that this was something that I should be taking seriously, but I was only amused and I wasn’t sure why. Maybe it was because I didn’t care what the outcome of the situation would be, whether I lived or died, and that only made everything funny.

Marcus threw his head back as he laughed, and then pulled the trigger of his gun a few times, causing me to effortlessly dodge each whirling piece of metal flying toward me. It was obvious that he wasn’t even try to hit me, he just wanted to make me ‘dance’ as he laughed, and probably was trying to distract me from whatever else he had planned. “Your kind? Superior? Definitely not, especially after you cheated.”

“We cheated?” This time I laughed, and jumped as far as I could, then landed on one of the taller tree branches. I wanted to get as far away from that gun as I possibly could. “The witches helped us, Marcus, because your kind decided to use them for the things that you have no right to use them for. Sex, money, their power, none of that is your right,” I said through my teeth.

“They were stupid, arrogant, beings that deserved everything they got, just like you’ll deserve everything that you get.”

Suddenly, the branch under my feet cracked, and I tumbled down to the ground beside Damaris. I cried out slightly and squeezed my eyes shut as the pain that was radiating throughout my body, which were healing almost instantly, but only left me feeling weaker due to the fact that I hadn’t drank a new supply of blood in over a day. My body system always used up the blood supply faster than usual.

I quickly got to my feet just in time to dodge more bullets that were spraying my way, but one caught my arm. The bullet ran through my flesh at a faster speed than anticipated, cutting through the flesh, muscle, and bone as if it were nothing. It hurt more than I would have assumed, and the wound didn’t even begin healing like it should have.