Ch. 41: Let's Go to War

~Alex~

A Week Since Nico's Switch

"Don't you think that Nico has been distant lately?" Dom asks Blake.

Kayla, Blake, Dom, and I are hanging out in the Omega cabin discussing battle strategies and Calculus homework, but Nico is nowhere to be found.

"Mm, I guess so," Blake shrugs. "He's seemed kind of off since last week, so I thought I'd give him some space."

Kayla shifts awkwardly in her seat, looking uncomfortable. She looks guilty of something. She's sitting on the sofa across from me, squished as far away from me as she can get. Things are still awkward between us since the breakup.

"It's not like he's any different," Dom continues, "he goes to school, comes home, does everything that he's supposed to do, but he seems more furtive and closed off than usual. Maybe something happened again..." Dom trail off looking down at his computer glumly.

Again, Kayla has a sick look on her face. She catches my eye and quickly glances away.

"Kayla," I say nonchalantly, standing up, "can we talk for a second. In private?"

Kayla gives a weak smile. "Sure," She concedes unenthusiastically. The two of us exit the room and stand in the long, dim hallway.

"What's wrong?" I ask softly.

Kayla shifts from foot to foot. "Nothing."

"Come on. I'm not taking that for an answer." I stare frankly at her, awaiting an explanation.

"I-I may have gotten into a small fight with Nico..." She trails off, not meeting my eyes.

I heave an exasperated sigh. "Why? Over what?"

"After our breakup, I saw Nico doing something stupid and I called him out on it. Words were exchanged. Maybe some hands." Kayla's voice gradually gets smaller and smaller as she speaks.

"So you hit him?" I ask in shock.

"I slapped him..."

"Why? What were you too talking about in the first place?"

Kayla glares at me as though I'm stupid, her jaw working. "You."

The two of us stand together in the dim hall in silence. A strong, awkward tension passes between us. I'm stuck. What do I say in this situation? What do I do? Kayla breaks the ice first, just like always.

"I told Nico that he would never be good enough for you the way he is now, and then I smacked him because I was just so angry. He has everything, but he's just too blind to realize it."

Looking at the bitter girl in front of me, I feel guilty. I did this. I should never have gone out with Kayla, given her hope, or play with her feelings. It's only made everything harder on everyone, us included.

"You were in the wrong, Kayla," I say slowly, carefully picking my words.

"I know, alright? That's probably why Nico is being so distant."

"You should apologize. Goddess knows I still have to." I run a weary hand through my hair.

"Fine, if Dom will stop moping and you'll stop nagging then I'll do it." Kayla sighs and flicks her hair over her shoulder, gathering herself before returning to the living room. She is all smiles and cheer before gathering herself and leaving. 

I sink into the couch, exhausted. Dom notices my look and says, "I think we should call it a night, I'm beat."

Blake and Dom chatter with one another while I stuff my papers into a backpack that I throw over my shoulder.