Ch. 4: Breaking Rules and Making Names

~Nico~

I wake up with my hands aching and stiff, and my lower half feeling cold. The entire bedroom was pitch-dark. I can't see at all. I go to move my hands. They're bound together. With this realization, it's as if my head is submerged into ice cold water; I can't breath.

Oh, God. I won't be able to look my mate in the face if I ever find them. "I'm sorry." I whisper, my voice hoarse and raw.

I struggle with my hands again. The way they were tied it makes it near impossible for me to free myself. But slowly and painfully, I loop my arms around my legs, bringing them in front of me. I change my teeth into sharp wolf fangs so that I can bite off the leather that bind my wrist together.

The belt falls into pieces against the bed. I revert myself back to normal, fangs subsiding. I rub at my chaffed wrist. Just another blemish against my skin. I readjust my pants that were messily pulled down. I sit on the edge of my bed, opening the curtain, and looking around the dim room. Empty. Small. Just like me. I put my head in my hands. What am I doing here? I can feel tears burning at the edge of my eyes but I refuse to let them fall. I'm 15 years old. I only need to survive 3 more years here and I'll be free to go. A sob escapes my throat; could I last that long?

I slap both sides of my face with my hands. This is no time to be moping around. I have to get ready for school. First order of business, take a shower. I have to try and wash off as much regret as I can.

***

A couple minutes later, I'm packed and ready to go to school. My hair is still damp in my half-assed attempt to dry it. I pull on my coat and walk down stairs. I want to get out of here before I spot Kyle, or the other way around.

I pull on my tennis shoes hastily. Every move I make sounds like thunder in my ears. Every second I waste feels like an eternity. I watch the end of the hall as I finish standing up. It's empty. I quickly turn and open the door. The door is white with a stained glass mosaic. I step out of the house with a sigh of relief. As I turn to close the door, I see Kyle at the end of the hall. I swiftly slam the door, run through the yard-- ignoring the path-- and down the street. No way in hell I am I going to wait for his ass to come see if I'm still there, or worse, try and talk to me about it. There would be no way I could ever forgive him.

I keep running down the street. Even though I am a long way away from the house now. The cold morning air feels fresh and sharp in my lungs. I breath in all the sweet tasting air as if I though I'm taking my last breaths. I watch the air come out in white puffs feeling a stitch developing in my side. My lungs heave, but I continue to run.

I stop when I am unable to breathe and dark spots perforate my vision. There is an aching pain in my side, and my breathing is ragged. I am bent over double, trying to regain my breath. Looking up from my spot with one eye, I see that I am only a block away from the school. I sure ran far. I would be at school in record time today. My right hand lifts in confusion when it feels a drop of water land on it. I feel my face, surprised to find tears. My breathing becomes unstable.

I take in air without any reaching my lungs. Darkness grips the edge of my vision. I drop the ground, burying my head in my knees. Haa... Haa... Haa... My heart squeezes painfully. I'm going to die here. But maybe that won't be so bad. I rock back and forth on my heels.

"I'm OK. I'm OK. I'm OK. I'm OK." I repeat the words over and over again, trying to convince myself that my life isn't falling apart at the seams.

After what seems like ages, all systems return to normal. My sight lightens up and I'm able to take in oxygen, without choking on it, once more. With weak knees and sweaty palms, I stand up from my spot on the ground, brushing myself off. I need to get to school.