Ch. 14: A mission

~Alex~

Two weeks later

It's been two weeks since I've gone to Nico's old house. That place was a cluster-fuck of terrible people. At first, I thought that it was strange to see Nico so nervous. For Heaven's sake, the poor boy could barely breathe he was so distraught about the whole ordeal.

So when we got inside and he told me to wait, I was surprised. I for sure thought that he would want me beside him. Instead, he sneaked off. Which, in and of itself, is weird. Why was he sneaking inside his own house? Maybe his uncle would be mad that he didn't call.

But that wasn't the case at all. I soon found out what kind of rotten things took place in this house. I was standing near the front door, taking in all the details of the house from where I stood. The wallpaper had a fading flower design and the floors were made of polished hardwood. It also seemed too quiet. Overall, it wasn't a place I wanted to stay for too long.

At first, it started with raised voices. I didn't move from my spot because I thought his uncle was just a little mad, and an interloper wouldn't make the situation any better. So, instead, I continued to wait. But then I saw Nico smash into the ground. He landed with a loud thud and cried out in pain. Then someone is on top of him, grabbing his hair and screaming all sorts of nasty comments.

I'm down the hall in a flash to stop the abuse from carrying on any farther. After I save Nico, he's trembling like a frightened rabbit. I was ready to kill the man who had done this to him. Just from Nico's reaction, I could tell he was terrified of the man, which could only mean that this wasn't the first time this had happened. I'm guessing this is his uncle, and he's the causes of all the bruises that I'd seen on Nico before.

It took everything out of me at that moment not to turn and rip that man's throat out. Afterward, I got to meet his 'lovely' aunt, who didn't seem much better than his uncle. Kyle also made an appearance. He looked just as frightened as Nico; I wonder if he was beaten too.

I helped Nico pack up his belonging and carry them to the car. We had some awkward small-talk while clearing out his room. He seemed so used to his uncle and that treatment. He also seemed distant. The only thing that consumed my thoughts was: why didn't he tell me?

If I had known what his family was like, then I wouldn't have made him come back here. I could have sent my mom or come alone. Ugh. I feel so inconsiderate. How could I make someone so important to me go through something like that? I should've known by how down he seemed this morning.

In the car, everything quickly went downhill. We started shouting at each other, something that we used to never do before. I just want to know why Nico won't trust me enough to tell me about himself and the shit he's going through. I don't want him to be afraid to rely on me. But in the end, everything spiraled out of control; I said things that I didn't mean to.

Even now I can't believe that I said something so cruel. It was basically a rejection of the current Nico; as if I didn't like whom he had become. Ever since that day, he started avoiding me like the plague. He got my mom to drive him to school and to pick him up.

Nico even moved to the omega cabin despite not being chosen as an omega yet. I rarely see him around camp, it's like he's a shadow. Whenever I do catch a glimpse, however, he immediately disappears. But there is going to be a full moon soon, so he can't avoid me forever, right? I'll approach him when the time comes.

Present

It's about mid-October now. The weather is growing more chilly, and it's about time to start bundling up. Today is Saturday, so there's no school to torment me with. Thank goodness. Instead, there are pack lessons.