Ch. 12: Full Moon

~Nico~

School seemed to drag on forever. Maybe it is because I'm actually excited to go somewhere afterwards. When the last bell rings, I'm bounding out of the classroom and to my locker to store my books.

When I round the corner to my locker, I see an unpleasant surprise; Kyle. I almost turn around and leave him hanging, but I'm not a coward. Kyle looks up at me when I'm standing right in front of him. I glare at him so he'll move aside so I can put my things away.

"Nico, what happened to you last night?" Kyle ask, his face scrunched in worry.

"What do you mean? I went to the party." I dial in the locker combination, unconcerned.

"Yeah, but then the party quickly disbanded when we heard the police arriving. What happened to you? Where did you go?" Kyle seemed genuinely worried.

"I went to Alex's house." I say simply. Not mentioning our make out session, nor how I passed out in his car, nor how we slept in the same bed.

"Alex?" I thought you two weren't getting along."

I place my books into the cold, red locker, before slamming it shut, "Well, things changed." I put the lock back into place, giving the dial a good twist.

"Well, I was worried something bad happened to you." Kyle is quiet for a second before he says, "You were kissing girls, right? I thought you were gay. Alex pointed it out to me, I couldn't believe it."

Kyle's sentence makes me freeze. Alex saw me kissing someone? When? What did our kiss mean? Did he only believe that I did that as some drunk habit, and not because I loved him? My body sways as I swoon from all the anxiety and weariness that overcomes me. I fucked up, didn't I?

"Well, I have to go, Kyle. See you later." With that, I stalk off towards the parking lot.

Curse my drunkenness. If I could take it back, I wouldn't. I kissed Alex and I enjoyed every second of it, and there's no denying that he must've felt something too. Let's just hope that he didn't brush the whole thing off as an accident.

By the time I reach the student parking lot Alex is sitting in his car, swiping through his phone. I smile to myself when I see him, as per usual. I open the passenger door and slide into the soft seat. Alex looks up from his phone and smiles, putting his device away.

"Hey, ready to go?" His smile blinds me, so I look away and buckle my seat belt.

"Yeah, let's go," I laugh.

~*~*~*~

Back at the camp, the whole place is bustling with activity. Kids run around playing tag, and adults go about their normal pack duties. I watch in awe at how lively the place is. Alex and I walk along the path that branches out to different locations. We follow it back to the main house.

"The camp is so busy because families are visiting for the run tonight." Alex explains.

I nod, "So that's why."

We slip off our sneakers at the front door. Alex leads me upstairs to his bedroom. As we get closer and closer to the room my heart beats. Man, I don't think I'm prepared to return here so soon. Memories of last night flood back into my brain. The heat of skin on skin. The taste of his lips. I shake my head, get your mind out of the gutter!

Alex holds open the door for me when we get to his room. I walk past him and glance around the space. Posters hang on beige walls. The carpet is the same fluffy one from ages ago. No toys litter the area. Instead clothes are scattered helter-skelter. Textbooks sit open on his desk. A book case stands proudly displaying many trophies and few books.