Ch. 29: Welcome Home

~Nico~

It's neither hot nor cold. All I feel is numb. Snow swirls around me in a dangerous dance. I can feel the pressure of the wind against my skin and the snow on my feet, but it doesn't affect me. My mind is similar to the storm that rages around me.

I can't believe that I just blew up back there. I know I shouldn't have done that in front of the alpha, and especially Alex. Alex who pushed me away not but moments ago. Even though I despise it, I can't blame his actions. He's only doing as I would do, distancing himself. It's all my fault, but knowing that doesn't stop the aching pain in my chest. It's the only thing that I can feel besides the burning anger towards everything else.

Just the sight of Mirabella looking so happy with her family made me angry. She was acting oblivious to the world while I'm suffering because of what she took a part in. Now the truth is out in plain sight. The spell can't be reversed without a Druid and supposedly I have a sister named Eleanor. This day just keeps getting better.

My eyes snap to the warm glow of the Omega Cabin's lights that pierce the darkness. Feeling a sense of relief, I quickly climb the porch steps to reach the door. Inside, warmth washes over me. It's familiar territory. My shoulders slump and I drag myself to my bedroom to change out of my, once again, wet clothes.

A knock on my door resounds before I finish changing, so I go over and answer it. Somehow I'm not surprised when I open it up to see Dom standing there. He has a scowl on his face and I can tell I'm in trouble.

"Where the hell were you, Nico?" Dom demands.

"I was out, OK?" I say, avoiding his glare.

"You said you were going to the infirmary for a check-up, but you never came home, so I called the nurse, she said you never came in, so where were you?"

"I was with Alex," I half-lie, turning around to walk further into my room. I run my fingers through my surprisingly dry hair.

"Hey, is that a tattoo on your neck?!" Dom inquires, hysterical. He rushes into the room and touches Nyx's mark on my neck.

My heart jumps and I freeze. "I, ah, I've had it for a long time now," I lie.

"Don't mess with me, I know that's a lie, where did you get this and when?"

"Just mind your own business, OK, Dom?" I say snappishly.

Dominic's hands pull away and he gives me a confused look. "What's wrong with you lately?"

"Nothing, now just leave me alone, please." I start herding him to the door and slamming it shut behind him.

It hurts to push Dom away too, but I really need to be alone right now to think over everything. I need to come up with a plan for how I'm going to fix everything.

A wave of grief washes over me and I crumple to the floor. I curl my knees to my chest and lay my head down on top of them. My mind drifts toward the broken mirror in my bathroom, why does my whole world feel like that right now? How can I pick up these pieces?

~*~*~*~

The rest of the week passes by at a snail's pace. Noct and I keep up the recovery, and, little by little, it seems to be working; I'm finally putting on some weight. Dom seems a little distant since that night-- since I pushed him away-- and I don't have any opportunities to run into Alex while cooped up in the Omega cabin-- not like I'm complaining, though.

So now it's been two weeks since that night at Alex's house. I feel my sanity slowly slipping from my grasp the more I stay holed up here. I decide it's about time I return to school. For better or worse. So I start to prepare my backpack for the venture, feeling jittery about returning. A bus doesn't reach this part of town, for obvious reasons, so I need to find a ride to bring me. I'm mulling over the prospect as I leave my room. Blake leaves his room at the exact same time and it's as though a light bulb switches on in my head and I get a moment of insight.