Ch. 62: The Most Deserving

~Nico~

A hand grabs my wrist. Slowly, as if in a trance, I look up. Luca, covered in dust and blood, stands over me. I glare at him and try to break free of his grasp.

"What are you doing, Luca? Don't try and stop me. I don't care if you're on Nyx's side, I'm ending it." I hiss.

Luca kneels down beside me, his breathing is ragged. I glance over at the pile of rubble that he was buried underneath and wonder how he was able to survive that. My eyes slide down his figure and see the tip of a stalactite has pierced his spleen and is bleeding profusely. I look up into his blue eyes. He's dying, just like me.

"I'm going to stop you," Luca breathes.

I frown, "I can't believe even after all this time you're still on her side!"

Luca shakes his head, sweat running down his brow. He pries the knife from my fingers and sets it down behind him. I look up at him confused, what is he up to now?

"Nico, I-I'm sorry for what I did in the past. I betrayed you because Nyx took my sister hostage. She wanted to use my own flesh and blood as leverage to use me against you. I knew that she would kill my sister if I didn't cooperate because she killed my mom and dad." Luca rests his head against my shoulder for support.

"W-What are you saying right now?" My heart drops. Nyx killed his parents? Then what about his sister...?

"I blamed everything on you when it was Nyx's fault. It was also my fault. I should have protected my sister with my own two hands. I just want you to know, I lied." Luca lifts up his head and meets my eyes.

"About what?"

"I love you. I loved you so much. I never hated you. I felt like the only one who understood me was you, but I couldn't do anything because Nyx was watching us. She was talking in my head, threatening me, threatening my sister, and... and threatening you. I shouldn't have listened, I knew that she was going to hurt my sister even if I followed her order. And now my sister is dead, you're about to die. I can't just sit by anymore."

Luca's skin is pale as paper. Unlike a werewolf, he can't regenerate his blood and cells at the same rate. Plus, his magic must be depleted after the fight. He can't heal himself. His sapphire eyes peer into mine. I can see his desperation and affection burning passionately. How could this be?

"But you said you hated me? You said-" My mouth opens and closes like a fish out of water, at a loss for words.

"I know what I said. I lied. After betraying you, hurting you, getting you kicked out of your pack, I couldn't possibly befriend you. I couldn't tell you that everything was a lie and I loved you. Because... you would definitely have forgiven me. I didn't want to be forgiven" Tears streak down his cheeks, cutting through the dirt and blood.

"L-Luca..." My eyes search his face, wondering if he's lying. Trying to find any bad part about him besides the doubt that I hold in my heart.

"So, for everything I've done, I'll make it right. If one of us can be happy, I'd rather it be you. I have nothing left to live for. My sister is gone, you have a mate, and I'm a god-damn traitor." Luca cups my cheeks and kisses me.

Luca's lips are dry and cracked. The way they tremble breaks my heart. That's when I notice the black veins across his face and his eyes turn black. He is pulling Nyx out of me and into him. He's trying to trade places. I try and pull away from the kiss-- I can't let him sacrifice himself for me-- but Luca just pulls me closer and makes the kiss deeper than before.

Finally, he pulls away and we're both breathless. I can see the strain that Nyx puts on Luca's body. He wasn't made to be the vessel, but he is still capable of holding Nyx's essence inside of him. Luca places a hand over my heart and whispers a spell under his breath. I gasp, a sharp pain stabs through me, soon replaced by overflowing warmth.