Ch. 25: Fateful Encounters

~Nico~

My eyes open and I realize I'm standing in a familiar place. It's at the tip of my brain. I step around the room, my footsteps not making a sound on the wood floor. The walls are painted a deep blue and are littered with drawings and poems. Picture frames clutter a small table, I make my way over to them.

My eyes widen with realization as I gaze into my face and the faces of my parents. This is my old room. How could I have forgotten? My brain feels fuzzy and I can't quite think straight. I pick up a photo of me and someone else. It's a boy who was my age with golden blond hair and a beautiful smile. Unconsciously, I smile at the boy. Something in me is drawn to him, I feel like I know him from somewhere, but I can't think of the details.

Another picture depicts me and a girl who is older than I am. She's got long, straight black hair and golden-brown eyes. She's got an arm wrapped around my shoulder in a friendly manner. We both have big, goofy smiles plastered on our faces. I wonder who she is. I feel like I should know here, that she's very important. Closing my eyes, I try to concentrate, but the thought eludes me. Sighing in frustration, I put the photo back on the table.

The bedroom door creeps open on its own. I gulp, feeling nervous. With hesitant steps, I approach the ajar door and pull it open. A long hallway stretches out in front of me. The floor is made of the same dark wood as in my room. I look left and right, wondering which way I should go. Taking a right, I think to myself, Why am I in my childhood home?

My eyes snap up at a sudden movement. The door at the end of the hall just squeaked open, similar to my room a couple moments ago. Biting the inside of my cheek, I push the door in to reveal a room. It's painted sky blue. A bed lies in the corner with a white comforter on top. Pictures are strewn all over the walls. Upon closer look, it seems to be the same girl from that other photo.

Who is she? She's smiling in photos of me and with mom and dad. She seems to be close to our family. Is she my cousin? My aunt maybe? No matter how hard I glower at the photographs nothing seems to come to mind.

The sound of footsteps makes me whirl around. It's her. The mystery person. Her black hair is cut short and curled perfectly. Her honey eyes widen in surprise at my presence.

"Nico?" She asks uncertainly. She takes a wary step towards me, as though I would just fade away.

"Who are you?" I question, taking a wary step forward as well.

The girl is slim and curvy, her skin has a nice tan to it. "It's me ------," She says. White noise filters out her words when she says her name.

I raise an eyebrow in surprise. She looks annoyed, "It seems that this dimension won't allow me to reveal who I am."

"How do we know each other?" I inquire, burning with curiosity.

Her gaze saddens, "I wish I could tell you, but it's impossible from within here. But I've been searching for you for a long while. Now I see you. You don't look well at all. You're not half the Nico I knew."

"I've been through a lot," I say defensively.

"I can see that. I'm sorry I haven't been there to help, but it's all because of Belladonna. She's more than she seemed." The girl sits on her bed with a sigh.

Her eyes snap upwards, "It seems we're out of time. You'll be waking up soon. You have to remember Nico, overcome this enchantment. Find me!"

"Find you? Where?" I ask desperately, the walls are beginning to fade into white.

"You need to find out for yourself. I'm sorry I can't help you, but I believe in you. Find me!" The girl begins to fade with the rest of the scenery as everything turns blinding white.