Ch. 23: Measures to Change

~Nico~

Despite my efforts at trying to fall asleep, sleep eludes me. I stare up at the dark ceiling sulkily. My stomach rumbles. I should get up and eat, right? But it feels like all the life was sucked out of me when I saw that girl and Alex kiss. It was just a peck on the lips, I can't imagine a full make-out session. I shudder.

It's half past midnight when I hear a knock on my door. Who in the world? I stand up and walk to the door. Dom stands in the doorway holding a plate of lasagna.

"I thought you might be hungry, and even if you're not, you should still eat something." He thrust the plate into my hand and walks past me into my room.

Dom plops down on my bed and motions for me to sit at my desk. He's so bossy sometimes. Begrudgingly, I sit down and dig into the food. It's warm and delicious. I give a content sigh-- it's good to be home.

"So," Dom says softly, "I know that you're still upset from seeing Alex with Kayla, but you need to think about yourself first. OK? You need to recover, and then flaunt your shit in front of Alex. Make him sorry for ever getting with her."

My eyes are wide in disbelief. It's alien to hear Dom talking with such vehemence. "Uh, Dom, are you OK? You seem kind of... riled up."

"Oh, I'm fine, I just want him to regret hurting my smol bean," He coughs, "I mean my cabin member."

My face flushes. "Dom, you're too much!" I exclaim.

He has a sheepish grin, "Sorry, sorry, I was just so worried about you all this time. I know we were never that close before, but I realized that in a way it's my fault and I missed you every day. I'm not trying to ask for forgiveness, I just want to be by your side this time."

Tears well up in my eyes, but I quickly wipe them away. "That's a great speech. Yeah, let's be friends."

Dom stands up and pats my head. "Good." He gives a small smile and takes the empty plate from the desk. "If you need anything, anytime you know where to find me."

He leaves just as quick as he came. Despite his absence, I don't feel quite so alone anymore. Now that I know that he'll be there for me when I need him, a sense of security settles over me. I'm glad that he'll be there for me. I'm glad I have people to lean on now.

My thoughts stray back to Alex, as they always do. If he can't see it right now, then I'll just have to make him see it. He needs to see me as I see him. I just wonder when that time will come.

~*~*~*~

The morning comes all too soon. Not a second of sleep has passed me by, so I groan when I see the first slivers of daylight. Today's Thursday, meaning it's a school day. Grumbling, I pull myself out of bed. Better start getting ready.

Stumbling around the room groggily, I pull on clean clothes. The fabric hangs loosely from my frame, despite it being a perfect fit before. I look down at myself, my arms are thin, my shirt seems like a large and my pants are bunched up at the bottoms. I'm going to have to get used to the fact that things changed. For me, it feels as though it's still October, but time waits for no man, and now I'm stuck in the past while everyone has already moved on. I heave a sigh as I shoulder my backpack, I feel like today's going to be a long day.

In the halls, the other cabin mates are bustling about, rushing as they prepare for school or work. When they see me, they pat me on the shoulder or say a greeting. My eyes are wide with surprise. I'm pretty sure half of these guys didn't even know my name two months ago, but now they're greeting me like old friends. Not that I mind their sudden change, it's nice to be recognized by your fellow comrades, I guess.