Ch. 60: I Want to Live

~Nico~

My surroundings blur and spin like a kaleidoscope before they come into focus. Nyx is standing over me with a mock-concerned expression on. I look down at my stomach to see blood soaking through my shirt. The wound I received from the magic spell must have opened again. Even with my emotions turned off, my body still feels heavy like lead. I wonder if I'll be able to fight properly like this.

"You're back," Nyx says cheerfully. She backs up as I push myself off the ground.

"Did you fix Alex?" I inquire. My eyes dart around to find Alex still lying asleep on the floor.

Nyx giggles and skips over toward Alex. She lays a ghost-white hand on his head, shutting her eyes for a moment. Every instinct inside of me urges me to jump at her while her guard is down, but that will only leave Alex in a vegetable-like state. Just a little longer and I'll finally be able to take her down. Nyx finishes her spell and I see Alex's eyes flutter. I move to his side to check on him.

"Alex?" I lay a bloodied hand on his cheek.

Alex grunts as he regains consciousness and his eyes flutter open softly, squinting in the gloomy light. "Ni... Nico?"

My heart thumps in my chest painfully. Even without emotions, my whole body and soul long for him. "Yes, Alex, it's me. How are you feeling? Are you okay?"

"I-I'm fine," I help Alex sit up. He seems dazed and confused. "Are you hurt? Why are you covered in blood?"

"It's okay, Alex. I don't feel a thing. Most of it isn't my blood."

"But-" Alex's brows scrunch together and he frowns.

"Listen," I cut him off, "I have something that I've been meaning to tell you. I know my timing sucks and that I may be way too late, but I love you, Alex. I've always loved you ever since we were kids, and I've never stopped loving you. Even when I forgot all about you, it felt as if a piece of me was always missing. Yet, all I've done since we've met again is hurt you over and over. I don't deserve you, but I hope... I hope that when all of this is over you'll consider taking me as your mate," If I survive that is. It's weird saying these words to Alex when I can't even feel the passion behind them, I just know that it is something that I must say in order to not regret anything before I go.

"Nico, I'm so sorry," Alex says, "I've been a huge idiot. Even if it was due to magic, I can't believe that I could stop loving you for even a second. I'm sorry for all the mean things I said and did. I'm sorry for being late in rescuing you and even going out with another person. Of course, I'll take you as my mate if you'll take me as yours." Alex pulls me close and wraps his arms around me in a tight hug.

My heart flutters and Noct howls happily in the back of my mind. But the moment wasn't meant to last. Nyx claps her hands together slowly with a smile on her face, "How romantic! I should have brought some popcorn with me."

Alex glares at Nyx and I pull away from him to stand up. This is it, the moment that I've been waiting for for years now. I'm going to kill her. If I can, I'll make it a nice slow death so that she can suffer just like I did. Just like how the wolves in my pack did.

"Alex, you should leave," I warn.

I hear clothes rustling as Alex stands up behind me. "I can't let you fight her alone, Nico."

"This is my fight. You have to go back to the camp, they need a leader now more than ever. You're an Alpha. You must think of your pack first and foremost." I hum spells under my breath. First, a spell to strengthen the body. Second, a spell to regain stamina and boost speed. And third, a spell to heal passively over time. Using this much magic over time will drain me, so I must make this a quick fight.