Interview: Stone (District 9)

Taking the seat across  from Brielle, I wait until the crowd calms down. Most are looking at my  left arm with looks of pity or disgust. In their mutterings to each  other, I hear the words "mutant" and "defect" among other harsher terms.  Smiling inwardly I draw it tighter to my chest, turning the wrist out  to exaggerate the deformity making it appear even weaker.

No one here has seen  what I can do with that arm. I have purposely kept it a secret, hoping  for an advantage. Even when some of the others began picking on me,  calling me a throwback that my region must be glad to be rid of, I  swallowed my pride and held my anger as tightly as my arm.

Ave knows of course,  since she is from my home district. I don't think she has told anyone.  We were never that close but I'm sure she must have seen me working or  showing off to my friends.

Suddenly, I notice that  everyone is silent and Brielle is looking at me expectantly.  Folding  back recent events in my mind I snatch out the question, "How will you  overcome such an obvious handicap and why would anyone want to sponsor  you because of it?"

"Because, I will win." I say, as I feel my face redden with anger. "I must win!"

"This didn't just happen  to me yesterday." I say, beginning to shout as I stand, gesturing  awkwardly with my left arm. "I've had most of my life to deal with this  worthless lump and I didn't suffer all these years just to die in this  God forsaken place!"

Over scattered applause but mostly gasps of shock and outrage, I walk off stage, clutching my arm against my chest.

Soon, I think. Soon this  charade can end and I can get back to killing rats. Maybe a bit bigger  than back home, but rats just the same.