Motherly Advice

Walking toward the favored local diner Blayne’s mother suggested we have lunch at, I was full of nerves. Sweat was forming at my brow, my palms were sweaty, and my eye was stinging. Though, the last part had nothing to do with this meeting and everything to do with Lance busting into my bathroom while I was in the process of plucking my eyebrows.

Evidently he and Leroy were trying a new protein shake, one they mixed themselves, and it had a negative effect on their digestive systems. In other words, it gave them a major case of diarrhea and seeing as Leroy beat Lance to the main bathroom, mine had the only other available toilet.

I couldn’t help but giggle at the memory of the desperate look on Lance’s face. I had laughed through the tears that fell out the eye my tweezers happened to poke when he burst in suddenly. I was almost tempted to give him a lecture about knocking first, but then he threatened to handle his business whether I left the bathroom or not and sent me into a panic to get out of there.

It’s a good thing I was already dressed for lunch, because I wouldn’t have been able to deal with the horrible smell that was sure to linger in my bathroom and bedroom for a good long while. Even now I cringed just thinking about it. 

The tell tale ding of the bell above the diner door brought me back to the task at hand. Meeting with Blair.

I knew she was well aware of Blayne’s attempts to win me back, but how much did she know about Caleb? How would she react to my realizations about my feelings toward Blayne. My name was called from a table in the back corner. There she was with a smile on her face in a simple black and white blouse with black trousers. 

“Hi honey, glad you could make it,” she smiled, rising from her seat to give me a hug. I embraced her back, missing these hugs immensely over the past weeks.

“Hi,” I returned taking a seat across from her.

“How have you been?” she asked.

“Um, good. Hanging in there.”

She gave me a knowing smile that told me she was already aware just who I had been hanging in there with, but she didn’t call me on it yet and instead suggested we order.

My stomach was a little knotted so I settled on some corn chowder while she ordered the chicken salad. The waitress left with our order and I silently studied the décor while collecting myself. The walls were done in white and loaded with pictures of the diner throughout the past fifty years. It always gave me a sense of comfort coming here, this place had been here long before my brothers and I were born. Our own parents had sat in these very booths while dating.

As if reading my thoughts, Blair commented, “This place is full of memories for everyone around here. I’ve had many a good meal here with Craig myself.”

I nodded, relaxing a little. Until she added, “So have you and Blayne.”

“Y-yeah. Blayne and I share a lot of good memories,” I tried not to sound bitter, but I’m sure it was easy to pick up.