Bonus Chapter (Blayne)

Cover on the side by Josenca

Here's a special bonus chapter for those of you who wanted to know what was going on in Blayne's head...

Bonus Chapter (Blayne)

I watched her walk away, safely in the arms of Koa, and couldn’t help but feel like a piece of my heart left with her. I was still so freaking confused about everything, but Lylah had basically made my mind up for me. Yeah, she broke things off with me on Friday, but I was still holding on to the hope that maybe she still wanted to be with me. Maybe seeing her today would have cleared things up one way or another.

Unfortunately it only made my gut twist more to see the effects  our break up and my being with Becca had on her. She nearly took my breath away as soon as I  saw her. Lylah is beautiful, I’ve always thought that, so is Becca but in a completely different way. There in lies my problem, my mind and heart couldn’t decide which one we loved more.

These past two years with Lylah had been some of my happiest. She made me feel welcome in this big unfamiliar place, and helped me get over the pain of leaving Becca behind. I thought I was completely over my ex until she turned up here and proved I wasn’t. I may have had two great years with Lylah, but I’ve had more than double that with Becca.

“Blayne.” Becca’s voice called to me just as I watched Lylah make her way to the school entrance, stopping while it looked like Koa was wiping her eyes. A sharp pain cut through my heart at the action. I caused those tears, and I couldn’t be the one to wipe them away. A hand on my arm tore my attention away from Lylah, “Blayne, are you alright?”

I looked at Becca’s concerned expression and saw a little hurt there as well. I just couldn’t seem to stop hurting the two girls I loved, but at least Becca was still here. “Yeah, I’m good.” I replied, putting my arm on her shoulder and giving her a small hug. She quickly wrapped her arms around my waist, burying her face in my chest. She smelled of Love Spell, it reminded me of times back home in the mainland where we would just lounge around while I breathed in this familiar scent. 

We hugged for a minute more, then I released her catching a mix of stares from some of our classmates still lingering in the parking lot. There were some glares, most likely Lylah sympathizers, and some looks of approval from a couple guys I knew, probably thinking I was the man for scoring Lylah and now the new girl. I didn’t feel good about them thinking that, but there was no point in trying to convince them that’s not how it was.

“Come on, let’s get to class.” I said as I started walking. I knew Becca wanted me to take her hand, but I was going to try and respect Lylah’s feelings as much as possible. She asked me not to flaunt whatever this was between me and Becca in front of her so I wouldn’t. I owed her that much.

We were almost to the entrance when a tall figure stepped in my way, blocking our path. I was expecting a confrontation from one of the guys, knowing they were probably pissed with me for hurting Lylah, but color me surprised when I looked up to face the person standing in our way and saw, Trayven.

“So, you decided you had enough of Lylah and wanted to try some of the new girl?” he sneered.

I never liked this jack ass. Not only because he was a prick, but because he hurt Lylah. ‘Something you did too’ a voice in my head pointed out.

“I knew Becca from before I moved here, and you should know better than anyone you can never get enough of Lylah.” I shot back without thinking, earning a gasp from Becca as she stormed past me with tears in her eyes.

SHIT! I didn’t mean to say that out loud.

Trayven laughed, “Looks like trouble in paradise already, don’t worry, I’ll make sure to give Lylah a shoulder to cry on, and a bed to sleep in, and when you mess up with blondie over there, I’ll do the same for her.” 

My hand cocked back, ready to meet his jaw but a hand on my shoulder stopped me. “As much as I can’t stand you right now, I don’t like Trayven even more and he wants you to hit him. Don’t give him the satisfaction.” Spencer said shocking me. “Besides, punching him might hurt your pitching arm and we need you in the game Saturday.” I relaxed my arm, giving one last deadly look to Trayven before walking inside, his laughter following me.

"Thanks, Spence." I said facing him.

“I didn’t do it for you.” he replied, “I did it for the team.” then he walked off towards our, well now their, hang out spot. I saw Becca at her locker, furiously wiping tears from her eyes. 

I approached her slowly and knew the moment she realized I was behind her by the stiffening in her shoulders, “I’m sorry if what I said hurt you, Becca.” She remained silent. “You know I still have feelings for Lylah, they won’t just go away over night.” If ever, I said silently to myself.

She turned around and for the second time in a span of half an hour I felt a sharp pain in my chest to see the hurt I caused. “I know that, Blayne, but knowing that doesn’t make it easier to hear you saying things like you did to that guy out there.”

I wiped a fresh tear from her eye, “I know, I’ll work on that.”

Her gaze softened, before turning uncertain, “What is it?” I asked as the halls started clearing, leaving only the two of us.

“I know now’s probably not the time for this, but I need to know where we stand now that Lylah gave us her blessing, so to say.”

She must’ve been listening pretty closely to our conversation, it bothered me a little that she was. It was one of the things that never sat well with me when we went out before. She made it a habit to get in my business. That’s why it was so refreshing to be with Lylah. She always gave me my space without hovering or smothering me. 

“I’m sorry I listened in, but it sort of involved me, so I felt I had to.” Becca apologized as if hearing my thoughts. She had a point so I couldn’t get too upset about it, I just hoped it didn’t happen again.

“I get it, I’m not sure exactly where this leaves us, but I guess the obvious next step would be to give us a try. See if what we’re feeling is real or just us living in the past.”

She smiled angelically before saying, “That sounds good.” She looked so happy in that moment and it made me feel good to have been the cause of that happiness that I leaned in, capturing her lips with mine. The kiss was everything I remembered kisses with Becca being and more. Our kiss intensified as we put all our hurt, pain, and frustration into it. A locker slamming reminded us of where we were and we broke apart. Becca had a dazed expression on her face that I thought was cute but couldn’t help compare it to the passionate and loving expression Lylah always had on her face after one of our kisses.

“We better get to class.” I said, pulling her forward and shutting her locker, trying to shut the door on thoughts of Lylah, but in my heart I knew I could never fully block her out.

Lylah was unforgettable.