Secrets in Closets

After my encounter with Caleb, I was still a bit shaken. That feeling stayed with me for the rest of the week, which was a blessing because it took my mind off of Blayne and his new relationship. I was too distracted with those thoughts to notice how Blayne and Becca held hands in the halls, or made out between classes. My brother’s thought I was just in shock and that’s why it hadn’t bothered me. I didn’t dare tell them it was images of a smiling rival pitcher that had me so flustered I couldn’t think straight.

It was an effective form of armor for me, but even the strongest armor has a chink in it, and mine was no different which I was about to find out.

I was delivering a note to the office for Mrs. Windsor, our Art teacher, when I passed a janitor’s closet that was currently occupied if the moans and grunts from inside were anything to go by. I couldn’t believe students still got away with getting it on in janitor’s closets, you would think by now they would invest in some locks for those doors. It was getting pretty hot and heavy in there and I could tell whoever was in there was about to finish. Then a horrible thought crossed my mind…it could be one of my brother’s!

Oh hell no, I didn’t want to be out here when they were done if it was.  I quickened my step but of course, as luck would have it, the note slipped out of my hand falling to the floor at the same time the door knob started to turn. To top it off, the paper fluttered a bit, because it would be too easy for me if it fell straight down, forcing me to spin around to catch it just as the door opened and two figures made their way out readjusting their clothes.

I was prepared, as awkward as it would’ve been, to see Lance or Leroy in front of me with their treat of the week. I was not, however, prepared to see my ex boyfriend and his ex, now current girlfriend.

“Lylah!” Blayne said surprised.

Becca still hadn’t looked up from fixing her skirt, so she hadn’t noticed me squatting on the ground, forgotten note lying in front of me, “I swear to god Blayne, if you call me by her name one more time I’m going to scream!” She finally looked at him, turning in my direction when she followed his gaze.

I expected to see another one of her gloating expressions, but to my shock she blushed a little as if embarrassed to be caught. It only lasted a minute before she rearranged her features to one of disinterest, then reached for Blayne’s hand between them as if trying to remind me that he was hers now.  Not that I needed the reminder. Their vertical activities a few minutes ago would have been all the proof I needed if I hadn’t already accepted the fact.

Scraping my fingers over the note, I gripped it in my palm no doubt wrinkling the once flat sheet of paper. I slowly rose, hoping my legs wouldn’t give out under the heavy weight of my battered self. Mustering all the will I could, I stared straight into Blayne’s eyes, making sure all the pain and hurt I felt shown through so he would feel what he was doing to me, and said, “Blayne.”

I hadn’t even realized they were missing in class until catching them just now. The reason of course being what had held my attention since Monday. Holding onto that thought, I used Caleb’s memory to give me the strength I needed to say what came next without breaking down.

“You’re an ass hole!”

Blayne was taken aback. I had never called him anything but words of endearment. He had never given me reason to. Even in our worst arguments, never once had I called him a foul name, the worst I’ve ever said was ‘butthead’ which he thought was cute, effectively ending our argument.