Sweet Past, Confusing Future

Being grounded had never been this fun.

As soon as the school day ended, Keri and Leah were over my house getting all the juicy details of the fight and completely freaking out over my newly discovered feelings for Caleb. They were happy for me, but still wanted me to be cautious. Caleb seemed like a good guy and was very likeable, but they thought the same of Blayne and look how that turned out.

The guys came over after practice and I got four bear crushing hugs from them as well as an argument over who could take credit for my awesome fighting skills. My dad ended the argument as soon as he arrived, pizza’s in hand, taking the credit because he created me.

After we ate, our friends left leaving my brothers, father, and I alone in the kitchen as we cleaned up the cups and plates. It was nice to just be with my family for once. We worked together getting the job done quickly, and things were going smoothly until Lance asked, “What was up with Blayne giving you the flowers and balloons? He trying to win you back or something?”

“He better not be!” My dad practically growled while wiping his hands on the dish towel.

Three sets of eyes were on me with mixes of anger and curiosity. I was put on the spot and the smile on Lance’s face told me that was his plan all along. Lure me into the comfort of a simple evening clean up, then slap me in the face with a confrontation. Jerk!

“Nothing’s up. It was just his way of saying sorry.” There was no way I would tell them about the letter and the things Blayne had promised. They wouldn’t take too kindly to that, and I didn’t need anyone telling me what I should or shouldn’t do only confusing me more. Ultimately it was my decision, and as childish as it seemed; I chose to ignore it for the time being.

Leroy sat on the island with a brow raised. He obviously didn’t believe my lie.

“Stupid boy. As if flowers and balloons could fix the hurt he caused my baby girl. Nothing short of diamonds would make an apology worth listening to,” dad stated knowingly.

“Speaking from experience, dad?” Leroy inquired teasingly.

Dad stumbled a bit, only then realizing he had given himself away, “What? No, not at all. I never messed up. I was the perfect husband.”

“Really? So why is mom’s jewelry box filled with diamond accessories. Earrings, pendants, a tennis bracelet?” I asked, taking advantage of the spot light’s sudden redirection and enjoying my father’s flustered state.

“Those were anniversary gifts, and how do you know about that?”

Lance chirped in, “ She used to play dress up with it when she was younger. Don‘t try to change the subject. How many times have you told us about the tradition you had for every anniversary you and mom shared together? I’m pretty sure you’ve said over and over that she wasn’t a big jewelry wearer, so you would take her to the local fair since it always came to town around your anniversary and win her prizes at the games.”

“That’s right!” Leroy chirped in.

I hid a giggle behind my hand as I watched my dad give us all reprimanding looks, “No wonder I found jelly finger prints on her jewelry once. Funny thing is, you two can’t remember to pick your dirty underwear off the floor for days, yet you remember that?”