Touchdown Promises

The first thing I wanted to do when I got to my room was strip off my gunky clothes and jump in the shower. Unfortunately, that would have to wait until I knew Keri was okay, besides, she was currently barricaded in my bathroom.

Leah was sitting in front of the bathroom door with her back leant against it. I sat next to her and asked, “How’s Keri doing?”

She turned to me with worried eyes, “I don’t know. As soon as I got up here she ran in the bathroom and wouldn’t open the door. She was crying, Ly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Keri cry over a guy.”

Placing my ear to the door, I tried to see if I could hear anything. I could’ve sworn I heard some sniffles, but it was soon drowned out by the sound of the shower. I turned back to Leah and leant my back against the door as well, “I don’t know what’s going on in my brother’s head. As bad as it would be, I’m hoping he was so drunk he doesn’t remember them hooking up. I’d take that excuse any day over him treating Keri like just another girl.”

“Me too. I know Leroy’s a man whore most of the time, but he’s always been good to me and Keri. He’s treated us like sisters…until last night that is.”

“I know.” I replied.

We sat silently while we waited for Keri to finish her shower. Suddenly Leah asked, “Who was at the door?”

I groaned at the reminder and put my head in my hands feeling a bit of egg yolk roll down my forehead. I really wasn’t looking forward to cleaning the mess we made. “Caleb and Bryce. I’ve never been so embarrassed in my life.”

She tried to hide it, but I heard her laugh as she said, “Oh man, talk about bad timing. Of all the guys that could’ve come first, it had to be the hot one you were sucking face with and his hotter friend.”

“Exactly…hey! I was not sucking face with him, it was a very nice kiss and Caleb is way hotter than Bryce.” I argued.

Leah snorted, “From where I was standing, it looked like you guys were about to eat each other’s faces.”

“Yeah well, you were drunk so what do you know?” I asked with a smile.

“True.” she responded, “It’s really cute how defensive you are about him. You weren’t this way about Blayne until a good month into your relationship. Speaking of the douche, if I hadn’t already liked Caleb for the smile he’s brought back to your face, I down right love him after he basically beat the shit out of Blayne..”

I winced at that. I was never a really big fan of fighting, and I was uncomfortable with the events of last night, but I couldn’t ignore the small part of me that felt vindicated when Caleb’s fist connected with Blaynes face. Nor could I ignore the small part of me that was worried if Blayne was alright. 

The hardest thing for me to forget though, was what he had said. Why did he call me his girlfriend? Old habit maybe? He could’ve been drunk. I was shaken from my musings as the water in the bathroom shut off.

“Keri.” I said through the door. No answer. There was some shuffling, the hair dryer was turned on, the cabinets and drawers were opened and closed, and I could hear her mumbling to herself, but she didn’t answer me.