Chapter 8

" Holly dear, we are leaving and will be back later this evening!"

Holly smiled to herself" yes mother, I do hope that you and father have a wonderful time."

" We will dear, and try to stay in, we can't afford for you to get a chill."

" I promise, and if I do then I will make sure to bundle up."

Holly walked out the of the sitting room to watch as her parents went through the door. She waited to make sure that they were gone. When she heard the carriage move off down the street, she knew that she was free all afternoon. She was going to read her poetry and other books by the warm fire place. She had been a sensation in this years season. the invitations kept pouring in for every party and ball. She was exhausted by all the activities, it had been only three weeks since they arrived and went to their first ball.

Lindsay was invited to everything also, she told Holly it was because she was the daughter of a Duke. Holly argued back about how she was wrong about that, and she was invited because she was a beauty. The two girls had so many gentlemen callers that they were always lined up. Holly told Lindsay that they most likely had a bet going on to see  who would win their hearts and hands.

As she walked back into the sitting room and sat on the rug before the fireplace, she picked up her book to read. She was deep into her book that she was surprised when the housekeeper came in and announced Lady Clarissa.

" Beg your pardon Miss, but a Lady Clarissa is here to call on you."

Holly smiled" please show her in, and please bring some tea for our guest to warm up with."

The woman curtsied as she went to attend to the tea tray, Clarissa snickered" I don't know why she is curtsying to you." 

Holly was taken back for a moment at her reply," I don't know what you mean, and I don't think that was very polite to say."

" Look I am not here to play nice, I am here to tell you to leave William alone."

Holly was shocked, what was she talking about?  " I am not sure that I follow you."

" Oh don't play that game with me, I have been here for three seasons, and I know how to play the dumb game."

Holly was taken back from how much dislike Clarissa was feeling towards her. " I don't know what you are getting at and as for William I don't associate with him much."

" Well you are close with the Duchess and her daughter right?"

" Yes, Lindsay is my best friend and has been for a while now."

" Then you are associating with William, and I am here to warn you that if you don't stop from associating with William and his family, I will make things horrible for you."

Holly paled " what do you mean, make things horrible for me."

" Oh just know this, if you so much as show your face at the next ball with the Duchess and her daughter, your name will become the talk of town."

" Okay and how is that going to be terrible for me?"

" Let's just say your reputation will be in shreds after I am done and no gentlemen would give you a second glance."

Holly was close to tears, how can she do this to her? A complete stranger who has only been introduced to Holly once at her first ball? " You wouldn't dare do something like that as to lie about someone else's reputation?"

Clarissa snickered " Oh you have no idea what I am capable of doing to get my way."

Holly paled as she heard her words" Why are you doing this to me?"

Clarissa walked around the room picking things up with her finger tips and then dropping them as if they were dirty. " You will not stand in my way of becoming the Duchess of Lancaster, and besides I was the talk of the season until you showed your ugly face."

Holly gasped" I don't believe you would do something so drastic, if William chooses to marry you that is his choice. I can't change his mind, nor do I want to."

Clarissa snickered as she watched the housekeeper bring in the tea tray "I won't be taking the liberty of having this tepid tea, I am above your social standing and will make you serve my tea to me when I am Duchess."

With that she turned and stomped out of the door and into her waiting carriage. Holly dropped to her knees and started to cry. What had she done to deserve such treatment? The housekeeper dropped to her knees and held a crying Holly in her arms. She had the downstairs maid run across the street to have the Duchess come help. But came back with news that the Duchess and her daughter had went on a call and wouldn't be back until evening time.

Holly was all by herself, besides the servants, Mrs. Hottle was holding her close as she cried her tears out. She heard the conversation and was upset at how such a Lady in such a social standing could be so cruel to someone who was so sweet? Ms. Holly was a sweet girl and reminded her of her own daughter who was a nanny to one of the aristocrats.  She didn't deserve to be treated with such an ill manner, Ms. Holly was a dear girl who was beautiful inside and out and deserved to be happy.

After a time of sitting in the same position for a while, Holly got up and thanked Mrs. Hottle for being there for her. She had to think about what she had to do, would Clarissa make good on her threat? Or was she just talking to scare her into leaving the season and London so she could get the attention she wanted?

Holly didn't know what to do, she wasn't sure if she should listen to the idle threat. She decided not to tell her parents about what had happened, it just needed to blow over. When William married her, he was the one who was going to be dealing with her. Holly was sure of the fact that Clarissa couldn't be that horrible. She was just jealous over the fact of William and Lindsay associated with her and her family. 

Holly wasn't going to lie to herself , she wished that she was the one he wanted to be with. She dreamed about being in his arms and kissing him like they did that night in the maze. Just thinking about what his lips felt like on hers made shivers go down her spine. She could feel a wetness forming on her drawers from her secret place. She was in love with him, but he didn't feel the same way about her as she did about him.