Chapter One

1788 June...

" Holly, are you here? "

Holly looked up from her book, as Lindsay approached" What time is it ?"

" It's afternoon, and Mrs. Potter is looking for you."

" Probably have gotten myself into more trouble, she probably wants to tell me that I am not leaving due to lack of propriety."

Lindsay smiled" well I guess that would be both of us then, I don' think Hester has figured out that it was us that put that spider in her tea cup."

Holly was laughing, " I almost gave myself away when she was shrieking in fear at the poor little thing."

Lindsay plopped down beside her on the stone bench holding her sides" I am so happy that you are here with me."

Holly shook her golden head " I have so enjoyed these last two years together, but now we are old enough for the husband hunt."

Lindsay smiled" I know and of course my parents expect me to land a duke or a gentleman who is in line for the ducal title."

Holly smiled" oh your lucky because since all but a couple of my sisters are married now, I will be lucky if there is someone out there for me."

Lindsay looked at her friend, she was staring at a young lady who was so beautiful. She was charming and her eyes were like looking into the sea. She was hoping that one of her brothers would fall madly in love with her, so they could be sisters. That was what she was planning, even Holly had no clue about what she was planning. Her eldest brother William would be perfect for her. He was looking for a wife, and has yet to find the right one.

Holly stood up and looked at her best friend" well, shall we go and see what head mistress Potter wants?"

They walked arm in arm towards Mrs.Potters office, laughing and skipping towards the door. Of course they always got into trouble for such behavior. It wasn't lady like to act like a child, especially for a daughter of a Duke. Lindsay didn't care, her parents were not like the other aristocratic party. They loved her the way she was and wouldn't change a thing.

" Ladies, I am so happy that you finally came to see me."

Holly looked at the snooty old lady," Sorry Head mistress, I was practicing my poetry for tomorrows reciting."

She smiled in her pinched nose way" oh dear, I am so sorry to have to tell you this, but you two ladies are leaving early."

The girls stared at her" What do you mean? are we being turned out?"

She laughed through her nose" Oh no, far from it, his Grace will be arriving this evening to escort his sister and you my dear back to Lancaster."

Lindsay smiled" William is coming to fetch us home?"

Mrs. Potter nodded" it appears that you are needed home for a wedding, it seems one of your brothers is getting married."

Lindsay paled" oh I hope it isn't William, I will have to find out as soon as he arrives."

Holly smiled" Well it seems that we have so much to do before his Grace arrives, shall we be excused so we may go pack our things?"

Mrs. Potter smiled" oh my yes, you two young ladies need to have everything ready before he gets here."

We walked out the door and went to our apartment, we instructed our ladies maids that we were leaving. It's funny how, when your sisters get married off that your parents can afford a ladies maid. They were packing their trunks with the help of their maids, when they heard a carriage approach. Lindsay ran over to the window and peered out" It's William!"