Chapter 7

Holly and Lindsay were looking out the carriage window as the scenery passed by. They were excited about going to their first ball since coming out in the fall of the year. The air had a chill and it looked like it could snow at any given moment, but they were excited none the less.

Holly could feel the butterflies flapping their wings in her stomach, she was so nervous. Lindsay felt the same and so they squeezed each other's hands when the carriage rolled to a stop. Lady Campton and Holly were the first to exit the carriage. Then the Duchess and Lindsay followed behind, the two girls were so excited about dancing every dance with a gentlemen. They could hear the orchestra play a delightful tune. Their feet was itching to hit the dance floor, they walked in the doors and was waiting to be announced. 

" Her Grace, the Duchess of Lancaster and her daughter Lindsay!"

They descended the stairs with perfect ease, Holly watched as people stopped to watch Lindsay and her mother make their way down the stairs. Her mother gently grabbed her hand and waited for their turn to be announced.

" Her Ladyship Viscountess Campton and her daughter Holly!"

They made their way to the top of the stairs and were about to make their way down, when the crowd hushed. They were all staring at Holly, and of course she felt her face flush in surprise at all the people. They descended  down the stairs, as the crowd of people parted for them to pass through to stand with the Duchess.

It was amazing at how everyone stopped dancing just to look at her, apparently they hadn't seen a face like her's in  a long time. Holly was very nervous at all the attention she was getting, she didn't know if she liked it or not. Lindsay was smiling at her as she approached to stand next to her. Holly turned to stand right next to Lindsay and the Duchess. The Duchess smiled at her" you my dear have made an impression, you are sure to be the talk of the town."

" Thank you Duchess, I am sure that it was Lindsay who will be the talk of the town."

She laughed out loud" Holly dear, you are one in a million we wouldn't want to change you for the world." 

They were talking amongst themselves when gentlemen started to come over in groups to introduce themselves. Holly and Lindsay were surrounded, they hadn't ever seen this many gentlemen in one place. Holly was blushing at how they were arguing over who would be the first to dance with her.

 Lindsay was eating up all the attention that they all paid her, and Holly just blushed at their compliments. They were surrounded by all the gentlemen who decided that they were going to fight over who was going to get the first dance. Holly and Lindsay slightly giggled at everyone of them, and shrugged their shoulders at them. 

Some of the gentlemen were going to start fisticuffs over who would get the first dance. Lindsay started to frown and get worried that it was actually getting out of hand. The Duchess saw this and tried to get their attention, but to no avail. Lady Campton started to wring her hands together at such a  ruckus. 

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************