Chapter 3

" Look mother, here comes a rider."

Beatrice called to her mother, and the butler went to the door to meet the rider. The ladies were in the sitting room sewing new ribbons onto their new bonnets. Holly was out back playing with the kids, she had enough of sitting and making bonnets look fashionable. Her mother thought that just this once she could get away with it this one time. Since she was getting to know her nieces and nephews, she was away for so long. 

The youngest was just a baby, and in the nursery since he was only a couple of months old. Her brother Paul and his wife Leah had arrived early this morning with their twin boys. She enjoyed chasing them around the yard hearing their giggles. Her sister Mary's daughter Sarah wouldn't let her out of her sight. She had formed an attachment to Holly, she loved her new aunt.

The butler walked the stranger to the door " His Grace William."

The ladies stood and curtsied as he came into the room, he looked around and didn't see a familiar pair of green eyes.  He nodded his head in acknowledgement, " Madame, I am here to invite your family to dine with us tonight."

Martha nodded" Thank you, your Grace, we would be delighted in dining with your family,."

" My parents have asked that I deliver the message since they are visiting the village today and wanted to let you know that it is a little party for the girls. Sort of a welcome home party if you might say."

Martha was so excited, she had become friends with the Duchess since both of their daughters were in school together. She smiled" Beatrice please have Holly come to the sitting room immediately."

" There is no need for that Lady Campton, I can't stay long I have my duties to attend to before dinner tonight."

" Nonsense, Holly would be upset if she didn't get to send a message to your sister." 

He felt his face burn, he didn't think that it would be about his sister. He was so use to all the matrons trying to throw their daughters upon him. He then heard footsteps running down the hall towards the sitting room. He turned to the door as a flushed face Holly was walking in. She was more beautiful if that was possible, she had pieces of grass in her hair. It actually looked like she had been rolling around in the grass.

" Holly dear! have you been climbing trees again?"

" Well actually I have been rolling down the hills with the boys."

" And to think I have the future Duke here in my sitting room to be witness to your unlady like behavior." 

Holly turned around and caught sight of William and curtsied" I am so sorry for my lack of decorum your Grace."

He kept his face firm but you could see the twinkle of laughter in his eyes" I can see that you are in need of  refreshing yourself , so I shall take my leave of you fine ladies and will see you all for dinner this evening."

He tuned on his heel and walked out of the room as they curtsied, he lifted his muscular frame onto the back of his horse and rode off down the lane. He let his laughter let loose when he was far enough away. She had actually been rolling down the hills with the boys, maybe there was something there? No, he wasn't going to go down that rode, he had his eye on a particular lady and her name wasn't Holly.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Holly Marie Campton, you who have just recently gotten back from finishing school embarrass your family by rolling down hills with the boys!   I don't understand your need to just be so boyish, and to think that the future Duke of Lancaster seen you in such a disarray!"

Holly winced every time her mother's voice raised, she knew that she did look terrible. " I am so sorry mother, I didn't think William was going to show up for a visit."

" One never knows who might stop by to visit, a lady is always ready for any visitors that might happen by."

" I am so sorry and I won't do it again, it's just that I was trying to explain to them how to go about rolling down the hills. But they didn't get it until I showed them, and then it was just so much fun I couldn't help myself."

Martha shook her head in defeat, she knew that this child was always going to be doing something that wouldn't be lady like. She always had, thanks to her brothers and father. She was their favorite out of all the others. She shooed everyone out and sent them to get ready for their dinner invitation to dine with a Duke and Duchess.

Holly was excited to see Lindsay again, even though it was just a couple of days ago that they were in their apartment at school. She was bathed and dressed in her best dinner dress. Her ladies maid dressed her hair in loose curls and tied a ribbon through her hair. She applied a little of rouge to her lips to just add a Little color. She looked like a princess, she was going to be going to London for the start of the season. She was excited for she loved to dance, but didn't want to have a beau right away.

Everyone were helped into their carriages as they got settled Holly came out the front door. She never understood just what the fuss was about, she was not that pretty. She just nodded at all of their comments. She just wanted to see Lindsay, and have a wonderful evening. The children were in the nursery fed and fast asleep. Holly loved her new family members, the kids were so much fun to teach.

The drive was a nice cool one, after a while they came to the estate of the Duke of Lancaster. It was well lite up, Holly had butterflies in her stomach, she didn't know what that could mean. She was so excited to see Lindsay again. She was about ready to shove her sisters out of the carriage to get in and see her. She secretly wanted to look at William also, but that was a secret even Lindsay didn't know that she had a crush on her brother. But of course he didn't feel anything for her, why would he?

As the family assembled in the hall in respectable fashion, Holly was the last person in line to reach the door. She was behind all of her brothers and their wives, and her sisters and their husbands. She was the only one who was not married, she felt kind of lonely. When they all went home, she would be alone.

They were escorted into the great hall to await their hosts, Holly was patiently waiting to see her best friend, there was just so much to talk about. She hoped that they could get a minute alone, she wanted to tell her about her nieces and nephews. Plus she just knew that Lindsay always had something to say about what was going on. So much has happened in the week that they had been home. It was time to catch up on each others life's, including a certain someone.