The Duke's Lady

Prologue:

1786, April.....

The hills were alive with activity, the Duke was arriving with his wife and children. Everyone was talking about it. Even the scullery maids, everyone was preparing for the arrival of the Duke. Lord John Campton and his wife saw this as an opportunity for their six daughters. The Duke had four sons and a daughter, at least one of their daughters would have a great opportunity to make an acquaintance with a Duke.. Lord John was sure of a match between one of his daughters to a Duke's son. It didn't matter which one, just as long as it was one of them.

Just to be accepted in the Duke's home would be an honor, but he had six daughters to wed off. Their oldest son John was in Cambridge, and was deep in his studies. He was heir to his estate, that was a nice size for someone who was just a viscount. He had to marry his daughters off, then his life would be peaceful. His daughters were pretty and not of great beauty, except his youngest. Now she was a beauty, but she was the youngest. She was not even fourteen yet. What a pity too, she would have caught one of the Duke's sons. If only she was older, no matter he still had five others that would do.

All six of his daughters were accomplished young ladies, they were well versed in the bible and poetry. They could sew a fine seam, run a house hold, and play a fine tune on the pianoforte'. Though he had his favorite daughter, she was very artistic when painting tables. They all could sing a lovely tune well. but again Holly was his favorite. Mary, Susan, and Charlotte were the oldest three. They were the first to go and he knew that they were getting close to being old maids. Then there are the youngest three, Hannah, Beatrice, and his favorite Holly.

Holly was the most fun out of all of them, she was the one not out of the nursery quite yet. She still ran around playing sword fights and climbing trees. Her brothers were very fond of her, of course she had four older brothers. John was the oldest, then came Paul, David, and Jason. In order of birth, John, Mary, Paul, Susan, David, Jason, Charlotte, Hannah, Beatrice, and Holly. Her sisters were not exactly fond of Holly, well except maybe Susan. Susan was such a lovely girl, she had such a sweet disposition. Martha was always fussing over all of her daughters, but she would fuss more over her Susan. All the girls had blonde hair, but it was a light blonde and they all had blue eyes. Well except Holly whose hair was more of a honey color, Sir John chuckled. She was something and her blueish green eyes were a sea of enjoyment. The man who married his Holly was going to be someone important. Not a baker's son, or the butcher's son. She was meant to be a fine lady.

He knew when the time came to bring her out in society was going to be quick. For who wouldn't want such a beautiful girl as a wife. Well as he rode horseback through the estate he was actually smiling. What could go wrong for his daughters to not make such a connection with one of the duke's sons?

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

" Girls!"

" Yes, mother we will be right down."

Martha was frantic, she was a fluster of nerves. The duchess has sent an invitation to her and her daughters for tea. She watched as her daughters came down the stairs in there best day dresses. She inspected them, making sure that they looked their best, even her youngest had been invited to have tea with them. Apparently the duchess's daughter was the same age as her Holly was. Who knows maybe they could be friends, and that would be good for Holly.

Her sons have taught Holly how to be most ungenteel like, and of course her husband didn't reprimand them for it. Holly was a beauty, she had to admit that but she had older daughters to worry about. As she went down the line of girls, she liked how pretty they all looked in their virginal white gowns.