CHAP59-"Shoot"

J     U    N    G    K    O    O     K

My younger self watched as people jumped into the pond to rescue the drowning child. Yugyeom was unconscious in a stranger's arm, as the man had started to softly slap the child's cheeks. The crowd around us was getting bigger and bigger and all attention was upon the fully drenched Yugyeom.

Did I do that? Why? why did the younger me not even hesitate.

"I can't feel his heartbeat" the man yelled, pressing his head onto the child's chest.

But what the man didn't know was the fast pace at which my heart was beating when I had realized what I had done. Every beat after the other my legs moved a step back. My conscious trapped in the little boy's body couldn't bear to see the dreadful sight ahead.

I kept moving backwards until my back had hit a pair of long legs. My first reaction was to turn to see the owners face. But the minute my head moved into action, the man behind me pushed my face back ahead with his hands and slowly placed them on my shoulder, keeping a grip on me.

"Just don't run away. You did nothing. Yugyeom tripped and fell, and nothing more"

I recognized that voice and I didn't have to turn around to know the dominant pitch of Mr. Joon's last few words. But what caught me off-guard was the soft muffled whimpering I heard from beside me. And I knew I had managed to upset her. My actions were still unclear to me, my younger self didn't realize death was such a heartbreaking tragedy to the point even my mother's tears were confusing to me.

She.... she saw me. They both saw it.

Even at a distance I could see people panicking and between their moving legs I could get small glimpses of Yugyeom's pale face on the ground. A hand pressed onto his chest, but he made no movements. The man didn't give up and continued.

After a few seconds Yugyeom had spit out some water and had opened his eyes awake. He started breathing and exactly then my mother exhaled in relief. She had her hand rub against her chest and started restlessly breathing. It was as if she was holding her breath all along, or more like couldn't breathe in utter shock.

But me,

I was in constant debate.

Why did I do that?

What am I not washed over with guilt?

Yugyeom's recovery didn't amuse me. I harshly pushed Mr. Joon's grip from my shoulder off and started running away from the crowd.

I had managed to come far, but what I didn't realize was another figure that was running behind me. She caught my hands tightly and forced me to turn. Only then had I realized how red her eyes were and how much tears had stained her cheeks. She was panting and exhausted completely that even the hands that held me were shivering.

"Why did you do that, Jungkook! You pushed him. I saw it with my own eyes, son. Tell me this minute, Jungkook" mother spat at me. Her words were high pitched, and her facial features were the scariest I've ever seen.

To that my reaction was silence. Not because I was being arrogant, but because I was actually scared of her. Mother kneeled down this time, bringing her still shivering hands to her forehead to try to calm down more.

"Please" she begged "Tell me it was an accident, tell me it wasn't intentional, tell you—"

"He was trying to take my place" I yelled out, interrupting her. "He took everything that was meant for me. He is everyone's favorite. And regardless of how much ever I try, he is always taking what's mine away from me. Why can't I be the only one getting what I want. It's either Yugyeom or me"