CHAP46-"A call away"

J     U     N     G     K     O     O     K

There wasn't much time with me. Actually, there wasn't much time with any of us.

With each person's disappearance rises the speculation for another person's life on the line. If like Minrae said the killer is taking his prey according to another clue being disclosed to reach him, then it's believable that even walls have ears. Otherwise, he's just someone among us.

Today was the day Mr. Kim promised me to help Harin. And unlike any other doctor in town, he seems rather fair and quick witted. Strange he was.

But what worst can happen to a man who was not just a doctor by profession, but a father as well. So something in me had the elasticity to trust him.

I found myself exploring each equipment of his wild collection of just doctor things while he made the girl in the seat calm of which was in the center of the room. Gentle strokes on her head helped her relax and loosen her shoulder against the leather fabric behind. Harin laid back, eyeing me in worry.

Even though I had to focus upon making things easier for Mr. Kim, I couldn't stop exploring the hazel brown shade that had so easily dominated her retina. When her eyes moved from left to right exploring the room, I had to hold back the urge to just make her face me again, and to let myself dissolve in her ethereal gaze. She bit onto her lower lips and her eyebrows folded up in confusion. For a second there I felt like a bad man.

"How can I help you, Mr. Kim?" I asked, looking competent while rubbing my hands against each other as if I had the luck to win a lottery and the old man just laughed at my undying spirit.

"You can help me by absolutely not helping me"

"Believe me I'm great at that" I replied and the room seemed alive with our seconds of laughter.

Mr. Kim leaned forward asking the girl to close her eyes. Her first immediate reaction was to look at me with piercing eyes, eyebrows came close to each other and her mind asking me what the hell is going on.

"It's okay. Like I told you he will only help us. And I'm right here" I assured Harin. She rolled her eyes in ignorance and unwillingly surrendered to my words. She didn't show any disrespect to the man in front of her, but only sighed in silence.

After what seemed like a minute or so, Harin was fast asleep on the chair. It was all magical to me. I mean, I know its science but it's all so new to me.

"Harin" Mr. Kim snapped his finger and called her by her name. At that moment it looked so cool how Harin responded, but what was cooler was how that snap reminded me of Thanos.

"Tell me. Do you know who the anonymous killer is?"

"No" she responded.

"What if she is lying" I quickly caught up, holding his sleeves to grab the attention of the serious man in duty.

"No, Jungkook, she can't lie in an unconscious mind. She's saying the truth"

"Well that clears it. She has nothing to do with the murderer" I commented and Mr. Kim didn't like it.

"Boy, you and I saw what happened that night. She stood like a statue next to the crime scene, not even flinching to the gunshot"

He was right.

"But" he didn't let me complete but immediately throw another question at her.

"At that time when the murderer murdered Jimin's clone, why didn't you turn back? Why did you not question the murderer?"

"That night I stood next to the small boy. But I got a phone call and I had to move away from them to pick it due to lack of signal. But when I picked the call got cut and when I turned I saw the brother of the small boy lye there dead" Harin spoke in whispers, eyes closed, completely hypnotized.

"So you're telling me you didn't hear a gunshot or know anything that happened while you attended the call?"

"Yes"

"She's lying. I was right there and even you saw!!" I started yelling and talking too fast.

"Yes son. But—argh" Mr. Kim was irritated now. "I don't understand, son. She is telling what she knows. Something is missing—"

He was busy analyzing the situation and trying to comprehend what was supposed to be done next. I had brought her here with so much effort yet I'm going to leave here without anything. Nothing. Nothing at all. And out of the blue Harin's phone started to ring inside her bag and in this devastating situation I felt like just throwing it out the window because of her sickening ringtone

"Strange taste of music she has" Mr. Kim commented, pointing at her bag. The nauseating sound of a man's whistle was what her phones ringtone was. Although I can't pin point it, I do remember a faint memory of hearing it elsewhere, though I can't really recall when, where and why.

"It might be her mother. I'll just check it" I said, running to her phone and bringing it closer to the three of us. With the arrival of me Harin's expressions hardened, but afterward it just became a pure frozen face. It almost seemed as if she was not breathing.

With the doubtfulness of her odd behaviors, I zoomed onto the screen to see the name 'Unknown' in bold letters. It's almost as if she purposely did name this unknown caller as unknown.

"I'm going to pick" I said and Mr. Kim nodded in approval.

With my finger moving across the screen to answer, there was a mountain of pressure built over me. Suddenly my shoulders started to get heavy. Even Mr. Kim could make out how nervous I looked.

When my finger was at the last space to cover up to answer, Mr. Kim caught my arms.

"Remember to keep silence. Do not say hello or answer at any cost"

"Okay" I've never been this nervous for even one math's test.

"Haylee" as soon as the phone was picked, the first thing heard from the other line was a man's voice that called out the name Haylee. Mr. Kim's daughters name.

With the name called Mr. Kim froze, looking at me in both confusion and shock. But he still kept silent. We both were equally confused and surprised actually. At this point we knew this person has something to do with the disappearances.

"Haylee" he called again after six seconds of pause approximately.

Mr. Kim was tensing up. When he was about to snatch the phone from my hand, I quickly pulled my arms away from him. Impatience being clearly painted on his face, I had to calm him down and alarm him about how important this is for us. I kept my finger on my lips, demanding his silence and kept listening.

"Haylee" again after a matter of six seconds, the owner of the voice called that exact same name. But it was more like he was demanding an answer by the said person.

Mr. Kim and I looked at each other in wonder as to why someone would ask for Haylee in Harin's number. But all our doubts and problematic questions had turned into an intriguing mystery when the girl sitting on the chair opened her mouth to speak.

"Yes" Harin answered.

○●○●

A/N- the story is going to get more interesting if you plan to stick around. Thank you. Do vote and comment to support the book.