7 ~ Feelings

For weeks this went on. They were both happy being friends. But also longed for more. They would never admit it of course, but they felt more for one another than just friendship. Every morning they would greet each other, sometimes text a cheerful good morning. They soon were as close as any friends could be. They had each other's backs. People watched and judged the entire relationship. Some people would comment, but it was usually positive. Mon el's friends thought they were dating. They strongly objected, even though they both wanted it to be true.

They went trick or treating together that Halloween, even though they knew they were too old. They went with Alex, Maggie, Winn, James, and Lena. Even after Halloween they stayed friends.

It was now late fall, the leaves were a dark orange and red outside, half of them on the ground. Mon el asked Kara out at school. He didn't really "ask her out." It was more of a suggestion as friends. He picked her up in one of his dad's cars, he had two so he let him borrow one. He picked her up and drove to a small beach. It was kind of a secret because it was hidden by trees and bushes. Kara was so confused about where they were when Mon el parked in a dirt filled parking lot that had only a few spaces. He got out and went to get some stuff in the trunk. Kara followed.

"Where exactly are we?" She puzzled at him.

"You'll see." He answered. She shrugged and went along with it. He got the stuff and they walked down the small path to get to the beach. When the ground started fading to sand, Kara awed.

"The beach?" She guessed excitedly.

"Bingo. You like?" He answered.

"Totally. I've never been to this one before." She looked around when they found the water. Is was a pretty decent sized beach, it was covered in sand and small rocks. There was also a volleyball net on the side. "Wow this is amazing." She complemented. Mon el went to the middle and plopped down the bag he brought. He took out a volleyball and showed it to Kara.

"Do you you know how to play?" She asked.

"No idea." He answered.

They played anyways, since it didn't really matter. They laughed and hit the ball across the net to each other. Until Kara accidentally hit it too hard and it landed in the middle of the lake. Then they went back to the bag. Mon el pulled out a couple of blankets, he laid one down and put the extra to the side.

They laid down on their backs on top of the blanket. They both stared up at the starry night. "Do you ever wonder what could've happened if that star never blew up?" Kara wondered as she looked up at the place it would be in the sky.

"All the time." He sighed.

"Thanks for bringing me out tonight, I needed this." She said closing her eyes.

"Me too." He agreed. Mon el has been preparing a speech of how he felt about Kara. He still had no idea what to say. "Actually..." He began.

"Yeah?" She turned her head to him. He sat upright and stared out at the water. She sat up next to him.

"You know when you have these feelings that you can't really control? And don't really want to control." He spoke.

"Yeah." She sighed. He was a bit scared about what to say. Kara was too. But he wasn't saying anything, so she went, "I can't help being sad or happy." She paused.

"I can be strong, and stand my ground when I'm protecting somebody else. But when that someone is me, it's a lot harder. Cause I don't like being vulnerable." She finished. He listened. She began to smile as she looked at him. "We're really different." She beamed.

He smiled and looked down. "Yep." He nodded with a wide grin. "I'm uh, super fun. And you're hyper critical."

She made a face of offense. "More like you're this, arrogant dude bro. And I'm the personification of the American way." She joked.

"I'm sorry, and I'm arrogant?" He blinked.

"That's not the point." She said getting back on track. She laughed under her breath and played with her hands looking down. She looked up at him. "About a year ago, I had a boyfriend. And we were happy... But then he cheated on me." She sighed.

His face hardened. "With who?" He asked.

"A cheerleader." She whined.

"Who'd ever cheat on you? You're amazing." He blurted out. He blushed. She couldn't see it though because it was too dark.

"Intimacy." She became sadder. Then she came back from her past and saw the boy in front of her who cared about her, and went out of his way to set this entire thing up. "I thought I could have it all, and then I thought I couldn't."

She stared into his eyes that were filled with stars. "And then, you came along." She said gesturing to him. Mon el watched her as the words slid out of her mouth perfectly. She looked down in thought of what to say next. "At first I thought you were thoughtless. Selfish. And I kept writing you off." They leaned in a little closer.

"And you kept proving me wrong." She smiled and giggled. "And that just got me thinking..." Sho took of her glasses and folded them up next to her. She tilted her head back up with her face right next to his.

"Maybe I can have it all." She whispered. Their faces only inches apart he smiled looking down at her. There wasn't a dramatic height difference, but he had at least a few inches on her. There was a brief silence as they took in all that was happening.

"Hi." He smiled.

"Hi." She mouthed. They leaned in and their lips touched.

It felt like fireworks in their minds. It was light, but meaningful. They pulled away slowly with their eyes still closed. They could have kept going if they didn't need to breath. They went in again after catching their breath. The kissing got deeper. Kara's last boyfriend didn't care about her feeling or body. But Mon el did. He listened to her, he respected her, he would protect her. They only kissed, there wasn't anything else. Mon el heard the problem about her last relationship. He wouldn't make that mistake. He didn't care about the sex, and physical contact as much as emotional.

They laid back down, Mon el slightly on top of her. He was actually a virgin at the moment, so was she, and they weren't really looking to lose it yet. After a while they pulled away and laid on the blanket side by side. Kara's head was laying on his chest. They looked up at the stars, pointing out constellations and planets.

"Best date ever." Kara quivered.

"It'll be a challenge figuring out where to take you next time." He chuckled.

"Next time?" She said confused.

"Next time." He assured. She snuggled closer.

They eventually packed up and went back to the car. He drove her home, and they kissed goodnight. Kara was on her way to the door when she stopped and ran back. "Can we just keep this... quiet?" She pointed to both of them through the car window.

"What, you don't want people to know?" He furrowed his eyebrows together.

"No, no. It's not that it's just, for now okay."  She smiled. "It just that, the last time I liked someone, everyone watched, and commented. And I just don't want that so happen to us."

He thought on that. "So there's an us?" He looked up at her from his feet.

"Yeah." She said wearing her goofy smile.

"I like us." He whispered. He leaned over and kissed her lightly through the window. "Okay, we can keep it quiet." He smiled.

"Thank you." She said and rushed to her house. He sat back in his seat straight and headed home.