1 ~ Homework

"Hurry up!" Yelled an angry teen waiting outside the bathroom door. Alex banged on the door again. "Come on." She whined.

The door suddenly opened and another teenager appeared. "Done." Kara said snobbishly. Alex shoved past her into the bathroom and slammed the door. "That was rude." She complained.

"Girls, breakfast!" Eliza called her daughters. Kara ran into her room and used her superspeed to get dressed and rush into the kitchen. Alex bursted out of the bathroom with a brush still in her hair. She ran downstairs into the kitchen. They both put on their backpacks. "Can one of you feed the cat please?" She asked. Kara nodded and put food in streaky's bowl.

Kara grabbed an apple and Alex took a bagel off the table. Kara took a bite out of her apple and made out, "bye Eliza." With a piece of apple in her mouth.

"Bye Mom." Alex waved. The bus pulled up to the corner of their yard. They swung open the door and ran out into the yard. Kara threw her apple and Alex stuffed her bagel in her pocket. The sisters boarded the bus and sat across from each other.

They talked and argued over homework answers. When the bus got to school, they got out and walked through the front doors. They were walking down the halls, when Alex met up with Maggie and they walked to their lockers. Kara was left walking by herself to her locker. The bell rang and everyone began rushing to class. Kara was bumped into and dropped all of her stuff onto the floor. Papers spilled across the stained tile floor, and books scattered over them. Kara groaned and bent down to pick them up. Someone stopped and bent down across from her. She looked up while still picking stuff up. The person across from her picked up the rest and looked up at her.

They had a light tan, and soft skinned face. He had light blue and gray sheets of ice for eyes, with short thick eye brows above them. His lips were a pale pink shade that were slightly smiling. He snapped out of his brief trance and handed her back the books and papers. She took them and stood up awkwardly fixing her glasses. He stood up straight and brushed himself off. They shared a short quiet awkward moment.

"Coming Mike?" Said another boy from the group he had come from. The boy came back to reality and nodded.

"Yeah." He agreed. He joined the group and walked off. Kara turned around and stared down the hall.

'woh... that was weird.' she thought grasping her books tighter. She turned around slightly with her head tipping over her shoulder. She watched the group of guys walk away. She caught herself lost in thought, and turned back around. She took a deep breath and started heading to class.

Mike dazed off listening to his friend talking to him about random stuff. He turned his head and watched Kara walk away. 'I've never noticed her before. To be completely honest, she was actually kinda cute.' he thought to himself. One of his friends nudged him in the arm. "Sorry." He apologized, and looked back to them.

They both continued their day almost completely forgetting what happened. Only did Kara start thinking about it again when she got home with Alex. They finished their homework together, and shortly after went to bed. Mike went home to the Matthews house and forgot to do his homework. He was busy studying and practicing for his next football game. He went to bed early from exhaustion, completely forgetting the homework.

****

The next morning, the Danvers house woke up early and ready for the day. It was a Friday, which meant it was a Danvers movie night. When the bus came, the girls rushed out of the house and onto the bus. Mike got on later at his stop and sat diagonally from Kara. His friends were out that day, they were all playing hooky. He was the only one that didn't go through with it. He leaned in between Alex and Kara slowly.

"Did we have homework last night?" He asked nervously.

"Yeah, why?" Kara sat up in her seat.

"Aw, dang it." He replied. "I forget."

Alex rolled her eyes and looked back down at her phone. Kara couldn't just sit by and let him get a bad grade. "Want the answers?" She said.

"I don't really want to copy off the answers, but thank you." He sighed. He slid back in his seat and tried doing the paper on the bus.

Kara shrugged and stared out the window with her ear plugs in. It was tough being a refugee. When they got to school, they got off and went inside. Everyone did their usual and got to class.

Mike, Winn, and Kara shared the same math class together, and when it came it didn't put a smile on everyone's faces. Kara and Winn both had their completed papers on the table. Mike smiled at the teacher who was waiting for him to take it out. When he couldn't find it, he just saw there feeling dumb. The teacher collected the papers and handed out work sheets for everyone to do for the period. After class, Winn and Kara we're walking out when the teacher called Kara to his desk. Mike was standing there stupidly.

"Ms. Danvers, I've noticed your grades and gone way up, and your effort has improved. Mr. Matthews seems to be having some difficulty with the material. And by material, I mean mostly what we've learned this year in math." He instructed. The teacher looked at both of them standing there in front of him side by side. "So for extra credit for both of you, you will begin tutoring sessions tonight." He folded his hands on his desk.

"But sir, tonight I have--" they both began at different times.

"If you want to pass this class Mr. Matthews, I suggest tutoring. And Kara is my best student in this class, besides Winslow Schot. But he's already tutoring another student at the moment, so he isn't available." He interrupted them. They both thought. "Alright?"

"Alright." They jinxed.

"You can leave now." He said picking up a piece of paper off his desk and reading it. They both caught a glance of each other's faces as they walked out of the room.

Mike finally spoke, "where do you want to meet?" He asked.

"Well I know this great little diner down the road..." She suggested carefully.

"Okay then. See you tonight." He waved and walked off to his locker. It was the end of the day, so that was only a couple of hours away.

When Kara and Alex got home, Kara told her and Eliza that she couldn't come to movie night. She said that they could should still carry out the Friday night tradition without her, and that she would only be gone for an hour or two.

So Kara got ready and went out after an hour of being home. She decided to walk there, not to run with her speed, but to just walk. When she got there, she saw that Mike was already there, reading a book bordly. She walked in and sat across from him, plopping down her books and pens.

"Ready?" She said.

He put down his book and looked at her. "Yes I am." He answered sarcastically.