5 ~ texting

Over the weekend, Kara didn't want to talk about what happened. Not even to her family. Mon el was trying to celebrate his big win, but couldn't enjoy himself. Kara was raised on Krypton to think that all Daxamites were bad, to her they were all lazy partiers. Mon el was confused how to feel, he liked Kara, he really did. But he was taught to hate Kryptonians. He was a little angry to find out that she was a Kryptonian. But ultimately, he was sorry. Her entire planet was blamed for both of the planets destruction. And that wasn't exactly fair, it wasn't their fault the star exploded.

Alex tried getting Kara to talk, but it wouldn't work. Kara was stubborn, and wasn't telling. "Kara, tell me what happened that was so awful that you can't even tell me about it?" She begged her.

"Alex, just stop." She groaned.

"Did he do something?.." Alex began, unwilling to finish.

"Not like that." She answered.

"Did he get drunk?"

"He doesn't like to drink." She crossed her arms defensively.

"That's a first." She raised her eyebrows. "Then what happened?" She pouted.

She was quiet, and stared at the cup of water on the table. They were sitting on the couch, Kara holding a pillow in her lap, and Alex on the other end begging. She had a wave of realization wash over her. "Did you tell him that you're an alien?" She asked.

"Pssh. No." She quickly lied.

Alex squinted at her and looked at the crinkle on her forehead. "Sure." She nodded.

"So what if I did?" Kara protested.

"He's a human, teenage, boy. He can't handle that, he'll think you've come here to invade our planet and take over the world." She corrected.

Kara looked down at the pillow in her arms trying to hide the truth. "He's not a human." She whimpered. Alex's face whitened. "He's a Daxamite."

"Daxam? As in those aliens that your people hated?" She swallowed down. Kara nodded annoyed with the fact that she told him who she was. "Sorry..." Alex tried helping her sister.

Kara's phone buzzed on the table, she picked it up to find another text from Mon el. He's been trying to text her, but she keeps ignoring him. "Speak of the devil." Alex said leaning over Kara's shoulder reading the text. Kara glanced at her. "Sorry, again." She smiled and leaned back on the couch.

Kara leaned back in her seat and decided to text back.

Mon el: I'm sorry ok! I can't help where I was born.

Kara: I know, but you could've helped your people. You were the prince. ARE the prince!! 😠😠😠

Mon el: I couldn't do anything when I was locked in my room!

Mon el: Or was forced to play alone in the yard while all the fights went on!!

Mon el: And was told to treat a slave like they weren't a real person with rights! And was forced to go to public hangings and constant parties...

Kara:...

Kara: Hangings?😨

Mon el: Ya and slaughterings. I had to attend every-single-one. While all the other kids my age were out playing with their friends, I was standing with my parents, watching innocents...and thieves get killed!

Kara: I'm so sorry...

Kara: I didn't know. I thought Daxam was full of all fun and party people.

Mon el: Most of the time.

Mon el: I know I had it good, living life as a royal. But all good comes with a bad.

Kara: I know.

Kara: Are you ok?

Mon el: Ya

Kara: I'm so sorry, I had no idea. I was always taught to hate you daxamites.

Mon el: right back at ya 😜

Kara: See you at school tomorrow. 👋

Mon el: See ya 😁

Mon el: Oh and PS,

Mon el: I'm the formal Prince👑😏

Kara smiled at that last text and turned off her phone. Not everything on Daxam was sunshine and rainbows, she already knew about the horrible things they did. But she hadn't known about making a child watch it. Who would do such a thing? It's like they wanted him to go insane at such a young age. Alex saw the serious look on her face.

"You okay? What'd he say?" She asked fastly.

She was silent. "I think we're gonna be okay." She answered softly.

"Good." She sighed and went back to her phone. She was texting Maggie. So sometimes Kara would look over and see a cheesy look on her face.

****

The next day was Monday, so everyone was still getting over all the parties and drunkness over the weekend. In the hallway, Kara saw Mon el at his locker surrounded by his buddies. She walked over and a guy from the group eyed her. He got the rest of the group and left. Mon el had no idea Kara was standing beside him. He closed his locker and was a bit surprised to see Kara's body so close to his.

"Hello?" He greeted with his eyes widening.

"Hi." She waved. She thought carefully about what to do next. She gave him a light hug and stepped back.

"What was that for?" He said confused.

"Everything." She answered. He didn't know what to say.

"Thanks I guess." He stuttered.

"No problem." She said. They shared a brief moment of silence before the bell rang. Kara turned around and walked over to her locker. She got her stuff and head to class. Mon el was in the same place he was when. She left. Then rushed to class. Math was their last class of the day. The teacher called them up after class.

"So how's the tutoring going?" The teacher ordered after the rest of the class left.

"Uh, well I don't think he'll need it any more. He's improved a lot." Kara quickly spat.

"Oh really?" He turned his head to Mon el. "So if I were to give you a test tomorrow during class, you would pass?"

"With flying colors." Kara broke in. The teacher turned his head to her. "Sorry." She apologized. Mon el looked at her with an expression of worry.

The teacher looked back at Mon el. "I expect a passing grade tomorrow Mike. Got it?" He warned.

"Yes." He replied.

He smiled. "Good, you two can leave." He sighed. The two left into the hallway. They got their stuff and went home.

****

The next day Mon el took his test, and for some reason Kara waited for the results outside the classroom at the end of the day.
Mon el walked out carrying out the paper with a grin on his face. "What did you get? Did you ace it? Oh no, did you fail?" She shot at him. He cocked and eyebrow at her. "Sorry. I'll just nervous. We did all that tutoring and I... well I don't know." She apologized.

"Well don't be." He said with pride and handed her the paper. At the top read A-.

"A minus, good job!" Kara complimented.

"I couldn't make it look suspicious." He joked. Kara smiled, for some reason he could always make her smile. She hugged him. Then pulled away after it started getting awkward. She looked into his deep blue eyes. They weren't pure eyes, more of a gray blue. She almost thought they were beautiful, that is, before coming back into reality. How could a Daxamite be this... nice? She thought.