4 ~ Regret

When they got to the school, everyone gathered on the bleachers overlooking the football field. Kara got to sit in the front row since Mike was her date, and he was captain of the football team. Kara sat with Alex and Maggie, who she invited to the front row. Mike was with the team preparing for the game.

The whistle blew and the ball flew across the field. Kara saw Mike and held up a small sign supporting their schools team. Half time came around, so the team cooled off in the locker room. Then the game was back on. Even though she had no idea what was going on, she still yelled when there was a touchdown. When the game was over, Midvale high school won.

All the football players were yelling and excited about their big win. They ran to the crowd, most picked up their girlfriends and kissed them. Mike ran to his friends. Then after getting a pat on the back, he caught a glance of Kara's face. She was clapping, but her expression saddened when Mike didn't go running to her. "I guess I just wanted him to come to me after the game. Every other guy on the field ran to their special someone... And well yeah, I know we haven't been really dating. I've just been his tutor and he's been my student. I don't know why I'm feeling like this, I barely even know the guy." Kara wondered as she continued clapping, trying to block out all the yelling and noise.

Mike told his friends that he needed to go do something and walked away from them towards Kara. Kara seemed surprised. "You were great." She yelled happily over the crowd.

"Why thank you." He bowed playfully. He stood up and brushed off his football jersey. "I gotta go change. You can head in the school if you want, for the dance." He nicely suggested.

"Okay." She shrugged. She honestly didn't really want to go onto the dance floor without her partner, but it wasn't his fault he was covered in dirt and sweat. She went inside and stood off to the side while other people danced. A slow song came on and she felt embarrassed that she wasn't with someone when the song started playing. Everyone around her was dancing slow, some couples hugging and kissing. She was about to leave when suddenly a hand appeared in front of her. The hand belonged to a tall gentleman in a black and white tux, Mike to be precise. "Hello." She greeted.

"May I have this dance?" He asked politely.

Kara placed her hand in his. "You may." She smiled. She put her other hand on his shoulder, he put his on her waist. They kept their hands that they were already holding, together. The began slowly dancing to the music. Some more poppier music came on, they danced to that. Some people brought alcohol too.

"Are you gonna have any?" Kara asked him.

"Nah. I'm not much of a drinker." He shrugged. She seemed impressed. It wasn't every day you would come across a guy in high school who didn't drink.

Another slow song came on. They danced a bit, but after a while, they felt kinda tired. The music was like a lullaby, especially because it was late. They swayed with their foreheads leaning on each other. When Kara started yawning, Mike knew it was time to take her home.

They started walking down the road towards her house. They passed Mike's, but he insisted on taking her home first. Kara had her head laying on his shoulder looking up and the sky. It looked like a black blanket with white and blue glowing dots lightly sprinkled on it. She tilted her head to the side.

"Can I tell you something?" She asked.

"Sure." He gazed up at the sky.

"You promise not to freak out?"

"Promise." He agreed beginning to look down at her suspiciously.

She took a deep breath. "I'm an alien." She sighed. She was saying this to be honest with him, not that she was drunk or being silly. She just wanted an honest friendship. Or relationship.

"Cool." Mike replied. She straightened her neck so she wasn't on his shoulder.

"That's it? Cool? That's all you have to say?" She furrowed her eyebrows together.

"What else do you want me to say?" He said confused.

"I don't know, I thought I just expected a bigger reaction." She shrugged. He nodded with agreement.

He thought about what he should say next. He wanted to tell her who he was and where he was from. But he needed some more info first. "What planet are you from?" He questioned.

She pointed up to the sky. "Right in between the those two stars is where it was." She answered showing him. Mike was stunned for a minute realizing where she pointed.

"Was?" He stammered.

"Krypton blew up. It wasn't an explosion or anything, it was just the star. The star just couldn't take anymore, and just-poof. Exploded." She made hand gestures.

"It dragged along Krypton and Daxam along with it's ending." Mike gulped. Kara seemed confused.

"Yes, how'd you know that?" She asked. Mike stopped walking and let go of her hand. Kara turned around and looked at him. "What's wrong?"

"Me too." He stuttered.

"What?"

"I'm an alien too." He murmured.

"Aw, cool." She smiled. She stared at him worriedly. "What planet are you from?" She looked up at the sky.

He took a breath and looked up. "The sister planet of Krypton." He answered nervously. Kara shot her head back at him. He opened his mouth still looking up at the sky. "Daxam..."

Mike looked down at Kara. "Daxam?" She chided.

"My name is Mon el." He said firmly. "And I am the prince of Daxam."

That last part, Kara nearly choked on. Her lips quivered on the word 'prince'. "How is it even possible that we get along? It isn't. Is it?" She argued with herself.

"Kara..." He reached out for her. She stepped back and turned away from him. "I told you because I didn't want to lie." He confessed.

She marched off throw the dark night. Before she was out of sight, Mon el yelled, "I'm a refugee too." Almost sobbing. He wiped the mist from his eyes and watched her walk away throw the cool night. He was starting to doubt he should've told her at all. "No. I was honest. My parents may have raised me to be dishonest. But lying only hurts people. Nobody wants to be friends with a liar. Daxamites are often known for their partying and lying. But I guess nobody wants to be a friend with a honest Daxamite, as much as they'd want to be friends with a lying one." He caught himself in thought. They both walked home in sorrow and regret.

Kara regretting the fact she trusted him with her heart.

Him regretting telling her the truth, and his birth race. (Which he shouldn't be, but still is).