Chapter 28

"Dad. I mean. Can she stay? She's my mother!"

"Mercedes, you know I can't say yes. Your uncle is the only one that can. He's the alpha."

Kelly was standing off to the side, unsure of what was happening. Well, she knew but she didn't want to get in the middle of a family affair, even if she was family. Father and daughter still going back and forth between what was to happen with her. Kelly didn't want to interrupt but she felt like this was getting out of hand.

"Guys. I'm staying as long as my brother allows me. I know that this will be difficult for everyone but, I want to be in my daughter's life."

Mercy just looked at Kelly. She knew that she wanted to be here but at the same time Mercy didn't know how that would affect her life. Her life was falling apart, then her mother came back. What if she were to die? She didn't want to lose anyone else. She couldn't handle the pain.

Thierry was dealing with Azee who had the poison came back into her system. However, Vladimir, Mercy, and Kelly didn't notice it. Kelly didn't have a bond with her brother's pack yet and Mercy didn't feel the urgency in the pack bond, as she was to busy arguing with her father.

Vlad was thinking about asking Kelly to marry him, mainly because he didn't want other kingdoms thinking he was weak and ripe for the picking. Sure, he had Mercy, but she was still too young to take the throne if anything happened to him. He knew that they wouldn't have any children, but it was just the image that counted, which his father drilled into his mind, and it wasn't that bad of an idea.

"Enough Mercedes. I have an important question to ask your mother if she is indeed staying."

Kelly looked stumped. What did the Prince of Vampires have to ask her? "How can I be of assistance Vladimir?"

"Marry me!" He just blurted it out. He was a little surprised that he did that, but he didn't want his emotions to get in the way. I'm sorry Erik. I know you would want what is best for the kingdom. Please forgive me. He thought to himself.

The whole group just stood there. Staring at each other. No one said a word for a good minute. Finally, Vlad broke the silence.

"I take that the silence means no."

Kelly finally got her voice back. "No. I mean. No. I mean. Why?"

Mercy tried not to laugh. She didn't know what else to do.

Your parents are weird Mer. Think you can straighten them out?

No, I can't Mina. They are behind help.

Her parents did need help but she couldn't do much herself.

"Wait until Thierry finds out."

"Don't you dare."

Mercy ran off to tell Thierry the news while Kelly pulled Vlad back.

"Why did you ask me that? You just lose a mate, so did my daughter. What game are you playing at?

"I'm just thinking of the kingdom. It needs leader's, plural. Sure, I can do the paperwork but I have never really been a people person. That was Erik's job. He talked to everyone that needed help. I can't do that. I would mess things up and make people hate me."

"Vlad. I mean I can't. I have to worry about things with my father. What if he found out about Mercy? She could be in danger."

"She would be if you left. She would lose herself."

Kelly finally agreed after a few more arguments. She did promise she would stay and watch her daughter grow up more. She looked up and saw Mercy over with her brother, sadness creeping over his face.