Chapter 59 (Final)

"I figured out how you and Hajime can get back into the future," Kirigiri said when Makoto had finished his explanation.

"How?" Nagito echoed back, his knuckles turning white from clenching his fists tightly in anxiety.

Hajime and the past Nagito were silent, just staring at the time traveler in shock.

"Remember how I said that in order to return to your original timeline, you have to use reverse psychology? Well, since your personality has changed, then that's the most likely thing you have to regain." She concluded.

"How do I do that? Trash like me can't even figure this out... How pathetic..." Nagito chuckled at himself.

The people in the room seemed to wince at Nagito's statement. This was a side of him no one had ever seen before.

"You have to try and remember," The lilac-haired detective stared at the albino with determined eyes. "Remember how your past self had wiped themselves out from your timeline to keep the balance."

How? How had he managed to maintain the balance between the two copies of himself? He narrowed his eyes in concentration. Something clicked in his head like a puzzle piece, and he finally remembered how he had been able to put a stop to this nonsense.

"I... merged with my past self. Somehow." Nagito drawled out his words, unsure of if it was the right answer to the problem or not.

"Then all we have to do is to replicate the action."

Nagito turned toward his past self and the spiky-haired brunet with an outstretched hand.

"Help me set things right again," he smiled softly. "Please."

He noticed the troubled gazes in their eyes as they hesitantly placed their hands on his palm.

At this point, Nagito had no idea what he was doing, but the most important thing that stuck to his mind was that he needed to return to the future.

He needed to merge with his past self, to take Hajime and himself back to their original timeline.

Nagito tightened his grip around the pair's hands as he inhaled deeply, taking in a breath.

He slowly closed his eyes, taking one last glance at the scenery in front of him.

Then, he disappeared.

~

The white-haired boy's boy felt light as he drifted into the vat of darkness that welcomed him with open arms. Suddenly, he felt the familiar warmth of Hajime's hand leave his own, slipping away from him with a brush of his fingertips.

He started panicking for his senses were muffled and his eyes were closed, unable to see what was happening.

With a jerk, Nagito shot up from a bed, his arm outstretched to grab something, or in this case, someone's hand.

His breaths were labored as he clutched his fist tightly.

Where was he?

His jade eyes scanned across the unfamiliar room, a faint beeping noise traveling through his ears.

To his right were two medical machines, one with an IV bag attached to it, and the other a heart monitor.

Nagito was back in the same room he had his arm removed in, which meant...

He had done it.