ch. fourteen

dedicated to @shanesvlog

[this was suppose to be a wednesday chapter but not when it comes to vic]

will i ever?

blue and red sirens blared through the streets, as paramedics were putting a respirator over shane's face, trying to help his breathing. shane's coughing came to stop after he calmed down, but he still didn't understand where he was. he wasn't even paying attention to the paramedics moving around and doing different things for shane. 

"hey there little guy, you're going to be just fine. you don't need to worry." one of the male paramedics spoke softly into shane's ear. 

soon, they arrived to the hospital and shane was rushed onto another bed, as then doctors took him into his own room, putting a more advanced respirator into his mouth and getting his vitals down. the doctor placed a stethoscope over shane's heart, keeping a good eye on shane, as she then looked him in the eyes. 

"hey sweetie, can you nod for me if you have ever felt any type of pain right here?" she asked politely, as she pointed at his heart and tapped against his skin lightly.

shane merely nodded softly, as the doctor sighed. she then took the stethoscope off, and put it around her neck, as right then claire and kyle bursted through the door. shane saw his father with a overly concerned look on his face, his skin pale, as claire looked the same. the doctor led the two closer to the door, almost as if she didn't want shane to hear. 

"what the hell is wrong with my son?" kyle spoke loudly, taking multiple glances towards the small boy in the bed, as the doctor calmed him down. 

"we don't know exactly yet, but we do know he coughed up blood, which is a serious medical issue in itself." she stated, folding her hands together. "we're going to get him into a chest x-ray to see if we can determine where he's infected." 

kyle nodded, as the doctor then went over to shane and took out the respirator, as he was now breathing a little more normally now. she left the room in silence, leaving shane with his father and claire. he felt his father take his hand into his, and place a kiss on his hand. suddenly, the nurse came in and helped shane into a wheelchair, as they took him into a screening. 

_____

- an hour later - 

shane was laying back on his bed, his eyes concentrated on the cartoons in front of him. though, the doctor from before came back in, a tray of tubes and syringe with a thick rubber band. she talked to shane's father, his face full of interest, as she then handed him a clipboard with a piece a paper on it and a pen. 

"hello again, shane. i'm just gonna do a little test on you to see if what we saw is coming from something in particular, alright?" she spoke nicely, as shane sent her a soft smile. "by the way love, i'm doctor jennings, but you can call me miss avery."

she wrapped the rubber band around shane's arm just above his elbow, as she then cleaned his arm with an alcohol swab and she then gave shane a small smile. she then poked into shane's vein, collecting his blood into four different tubes to examine. once he was done, she cleaned him again with swab and put a cotton ball over it with a piece of tape.

"this will take about a day to examine accurately, but first i need to know some things about shane with his sickness." she said, as she handed the tray off to a nurse to take to examine. 

"i can tell by shane's weight that he's not at a normal weight, he's lighter than most. has he been eating normally at home and school?" 

"yes, he eats more than he should actually."

"has he had pains in his chest and stomach often?" 

"yes, he's been complaining a lot about it, i thought it was just maybe something he ate."

"is he tired a lot? doesn't exercise?"

"yes."

"does he have a lot of respiratory problems?"

"he has shortness of breath, he'll start breathing heavier, and his coughing is extensive and terrible.

"okay, thank you for some input, i'm going to take his blood and get it tested." the doctor spoke, as she then opened the door and left. 

shane sighed. 

when was this going to be all over?

____

the next day...

a knock came at the door.

"hello, shane. i'm here to take another test for you." he smiled, as he then cleaned shane's arm with a swab and then put a little patch of something on his arm. "this is going to collect sweat for us, so don't take it off."

it was an hour before the nurse came back in, and took the patch off of shane, and compressed his sweat from the patch into a little bottle. shane watched the nurse at work, as he didn't understand what this was all for, he just wanted to go home and sleep. the nurse finally finished, and went back out the door. 

shane was lost in his book that he didn't even notice that the doctor came in through the door after about another hour of waiting. the doctor had a sad look on her face, but she knew she had to deliver the news to the two adults in the room. 

"we examined his blood and took in all the information that you two told us, and the sweat test confirmed it for us." she stated, as she then handed kyle a little pamphlet. 

"i'm sorry to say this mister yaw, but your son has a genetic disorder called cystic fibrosis."miss avery said, as shane then looked away from his book. "we can do treatments on him, and even put him on the list for a lung transplant, but there is no guarantee that you'll get one before shane's body gives out."

"so you're telling me my son's going to die young?" kyle said in a loud whisper, tears threatening to fall down his cheeks. 

"mister yaw, we're hoping we can save him on time to give him more years to his life, but like i said, there's no guarantee." 

shane understood what the doctor was saying. 

he was going to die young regardless.

would he ever get to go to college?

ever get to work in his dream career?

ever drive a car?

what about living on his own?

ever start his own little family?

would he ever fall in love?

___

when you learn about a topic in school and decide to write a story based around it