ch. ten

recovery

the small ginger laid on an all white bed as wires connected him to machines that made sure he was alive and breathing. his face purple with bruised lips, and his head was wrapped in a big white bandage that helped his ears recover from the small bones that broke during his head injury to the floor. 

"god, i feel so terrible." the man slumped in his chair, as tears had constantly fell down his face as his eyes were completely red and bloodshot. 

his father just wanted to see his son's green eyes again. 

"we were looking over the damage to his ears, and sir...there's a possibility he might suffer from hearing loss in both ears." the doctor informed him, as he was looking up and down his clipboard. 

"what do you mean? are you telling me why son is going to be deaf?!" kyle yelled, as he was suddenly in defense mode when it came to his son. "didn't he have surgery over this?"

"well yes, but there is no way of telling how bad it really is until he wakes up and we can check him when his ears are recovered." the doctor informed, as he took a small glance at the little boy. "we can take his bandages off in a couple of days once he wakes up, until then he needs to rest and heal."

the doctor gave a sympathetic smile towards shane's father as he made his way out of the room. kyle sat down in the seat next to shane, taking his little hand into his and squeezing it slightly.  he leaned up from his chair, softly planting a little kiss on top of one of the bruises on his forehead. 

"i'm so sorry, shane. i couldn't be there for you, and protect you like i should have." kyle whispered, close to shane's ear as if he could possibly hear it. "you're my little boy, and you deserve to be loved."

the room door then opened to kyle's current girlfriend, claire. she sat down next to shane on the bed, caressing his face softly and frowning at the sight. she couldn't understand why anyone would want to hurt such a precious little boy like shane. 

"once he leaves the hospital, the court allowed me to have him stay and live with me as i am his father." kyle stated, as he looked up to claire and saw a smile on her face. 

"that's fantastic!" but suddenly her face fell. "what about his school though? all of his friends? you know we live in another city and he won't be able to stay here if he comes with us."

"i know, i know. but he's smart enough to know that this is for the better, this town has nothing good for him." kyle spoke as he hated the place where shane currently lived. "all this place has done was give my son and i fucking hell, and i'm not letting it continue any longer than it should."

claire nodded with kyle, as she understood why kyle would want to get shane far away as possible from here. shane belonged with his father, in a place of safety, where he didn't have to be scared of every move he made. kyle just wanted to give shane the life he deserves and grow up without fear anymore, and it most certainly wasn't going to happen in this town. 

"oh shane, someone left a little something for you." claire said, as she grabbed a little bag that was next to her purse and set it down with shane and opened it for him. 

there laid a brown teddy bear in a brown sweater than matched it's fur and held a rose in it's arms. kyle smiled at the sight, as claire reached into the bag again and found a little letter and opened it. although, the handwriting was a bit wonky and the spelling needed fixing, she still read it to where it made sense.

"dear shane, i hope you get better real soon! i want to play with you and i really need you to help me with my math homework. don't forget to come see me once you're all better! love, ryan a.k.a your bestest friend." 

claire smiled, as she handed kyle the little letter and he smiled softly. his son finally made a friend after so long of being cooped up in the house and alone. just who was this boy that somehow found his way to break down the walls of shane's? 

_____

*rewatches aot just for levi*