ch. five

break the ice

"ryan! come back! we have to finish your lessons!" his piano teacher called out, as ryan ran out of the house using the back of his long sleeve to wipe the tears off of his face.

he couldn't handle the stress that he was being put through. ryan had to go to piano lessons everyday after school, along side with homework and his daily practice for soccer around five o'clock. he couldn't spend time working on his piano skills as he had to study for an upcoming reading test, and as a result he couldn't play the right notes, leaving his teacher to be upset with him. 

ryan ran into the little woods in his neighborhood, looking for sometime alone and not wanting to be bothered. he walked further into the forest, as his eyes darted up at the tall trees that towered over him. ryan soon came upon a little space of land that was surrounded with bushes and tall trees. he walked into the little space and almost fell to the ground when his eyes found another person.

it was that one boy from the park, shane. he was sitting on the ground with his knees bent, and his head against one of the trees. his hair looked a little bit nicer than the last time they met, and he wore a long sleeve shirt that was just a tad too big for him, he still had on that doctor's mask too. shane had a book in between his small hands, as his eyes darted up at ryan.

"....what are you doing here? why do you always end up in the places i'm at?" shane scoffed, not losing eye contact with the smaller boy in front of him. 

"um, i wanted to get away from my piano lessons. on top of that is school and soccer practices. i'm just tired of listening to people telling me what to do, you know?" ryan said, as he walked closer to shane and sat down next to him. "what are you reading?"

"just a little novel, it's nothing too interesting." shane spoke in a gentle tone, as he flicked the pages with his thumb.

"so...how was your day?" ryan beamed, as a small came across his face as he leaned a bit forward into shane, wanting to get closer to him.

"curiosity killed the cat." shane barked at ryan, sending him a bothered glare but that didn't phase ryan.

"uh, what?" ryan asked, but shane just rolled his eyes and threw his head down. "how about i do my work, and you can read? will that be better for you?"

shane only nodded, before going back to digging his head into the book in his hands. ryan smiled again, laying down on his back and grabbing out his worksheets from inside his binder. ryan was content with working, as it seemed almost calmer for him since shane was there right next to him. after a little while, shane looked away from his book and stared at the boy. he couldn't help but smile down at him, maybe shane should just accept his new friend. 

"shane!" ryan whined as he threw himself back. "help me with this, i don't understand it!" 

shane rolled his eyes, as it seemed he was bothered but he was actually happy to have ryan here with him. he laid down next to ryland and explained through everything until ryan finally understood it.

shane noticed the little things about ryan in just a little bit of time. the way his tongue would stick out when he would try to solve the problem, or how he frowned when he didn't quite understand what was going on. not to mention, the smile that would appear all over his face when he finally got the criteria down. 

"thank you so much shane! you saved my life!" ryan beamed, throwing his arms over shane and taking him into a warm hug. 

"it's nothing." shane muttered out, as he wrapped his hands around the small boy. "uh, it's getting kind of late, we should go home."

the two boys collected their things that were on the ground and before they could get out of the forest, it had already gotten a little bit dark. the two boys lived on different streets, meaning they would have to go different ways to get to their homes. shane looked over at ryan, about to say bye, but he saw how ryan had scared written all over him. 

"what's wrong?" shane asked, walking over to ryan and putting his hand on his shoulder to give ryan some sort of comfort.

"i'm scared of the dark..." ryan trembled out, as he threw himself into shane. "can you walk me home, please shane?"

"alright fine, but you have to direct me."

shane couldn't say no to the small one, as he didn't want him to get lost or anything either. the two started to walk into the direction of ryan's house, as ryan then took shane's hand into his. shane looked down at their hands but didn't want to upset ryan by taking his hand away, besides, he kind of liked it himself. shane walked ryan all the way home, as he was a good couple of minutes away, but soon came upon the house.

"thank you for today! i really had a good time hanging out with you. maybe we can play at the park sometime?" ryland smiled at shane, as he hugged onto him.

"sure, we are friends aren't we?" shane said gently, as ryland looked up at shane in happiness as ryan finally had a new friend. shane would be lying if he didn't adore that smile of ryan's.

"also, don't cry over split milk. every cloud has a silver lining." shane spoke, as he pulled away from ryan and waved goodbye to him. 

"i'll see you later, shane!" ryan laughed, as he ran inside the house, leaving shane to smile behind the mask of his. 

ryan closed the door behind him, and his parents obviously got onto him for staying out late. though, he ate his dinner, and went upstairs to take his bath before getting into bed. ryland was about to go into his room, but instead he walked into his father's office. his computer was still open, as ryan then sat down on his seat and went into google.

'what does don't cry over split milk mean?'

- there's no reason to be upset or complain about something that can't be fixed.

'what does every cloud has a silver lining mean?'

- good things come after the bad things.

"the lessons...." ryan whispered as he remembered he'd been crying over the lessons and told shane about it. 

he smiled, before then remembering about something shane said to him in the forest. 

'what does curiosity killed the cat mean?'

- stop asking questions

he laughed to himself quietly. 

"oh shane, you have a method to your madness don't you..."

even though the boy was cold, he still gave warmth.

_________

late but,

hAppy neW yEar!

let's get this bread in 2019 :D