ch. thirteen

i'm alright

one year later...

shane grew accustomed to his new life, not complaining as much as he use to, but still sad that he left so much behind. though, he had a new group of friends at the academy, and he loved every single one of them. garrett and andrew were always by his side, except, that was until farlan would come out of nowhere and steal their friend. 

farlan and shane were close, too close actually. after their little meeting, they became best friends almost immediately. they'd hang out almost every day after school, sitting in the little field area, either studying or reading. although, since shane entered the school, he quickly passed farlan in ranks. 

it was quite astonishing to see farlan in a second place position. 

but, that didn't stop their friendship, and rather made them have more in common. everyone saw the two boys as inseparable, as even the teachers wouldn't dare trying to move their seats away from one another. either way, they were good boys and didn't cause any disruption to the class. 

"shane, are you ready to head to school?" claire called from the bottom of the stairway, putting her paperwork into her folder. 

the little boy sat on his bed, his body feeling so tired, not wanting to do anything. he didn't sleep all night due to all his coughing, mucus always coming up and having to spit it out. he picked up his backpack from the ground, and headed down the stairs. claire smiled at him, and frowning once seeing his state. 

"claire, my tummy hurts a lot and daddy said to give me medicine for my cough." shane informed her, as she nodded and turned to the medicine cabinet. 

"i told you to stop playing the cold, you're just going to get yourself more sick." claire spoke, bending down to shane's height, sending medicine down into his mouth through a pipette. "have you been eating at school?" 

"yeah, why?" shane answered, once he gulped down his medicine, giving claire a confused face with the tilting of his head. 

"alright. well let's head to school, i don't want you to be late." she said, grabbing shane's hand and leading him out the doorway and into the car. 

claire knew something else was wrong with shane, but just couldn't put her finger on it. he was more tired, often very sick with the same things wrong with him each time. shane started to breathe a little bit heavier than usual, but claire didn't want to worry herself. she then suddenly pulled into the academy, and shane looked over at claire. 

dull green. 

shane gave a little hug to claire, and claire returned one with a kiss to the forehead. he then walked out the car, and headed up the stairs to his friends. claire watched him go inside in the arms of his peers, as she then licked her lips, tasting salt. though, she drove off, having a limited time before needing to be into work. 

two hours later...

"you sure you want to play today, yaw?" the coach asked in concern as he saw the state of shane, but knew shane wanted to be apart of the game. 

"yeah, i'll be alright, mister brady." he answered, tucking in the shirt into his shorts as he then laced up his tennis shoes, and heading out with farlan and andrew. 

they walked to the soccer field, as they all stood in a circle as the coach chose farlan and another kid named billy as captains of their teams, and chose random people to be on either team. farlan was happy to see shane on his side of the team, but andrew was on the other.

"it's good to finally see you playing with us shane!" his friend ricky smiled, as he ruffled up shane's hair. 

"yeah, we have a good player with us now." said another boy dan, as he darted his eyes over to his friend. "unlike phil."

the boys laughed, and then the game started. it was  fine in the first five minutes, until then shane felt a burn sensation in his chest, but he dismissed it, wanting to be fine like the others. he pushed his limits, even if his body was screaming for him to give up. the little ginger was already wheezing, his lungs fighting to help him but couldn't.

shane then got a hold of the ball, his eyes setting on the goal in front of him. he got closer, as he then did a power kick straight into the net, the goalie not even trying to stop the ball. shane turned around to see his teammates cheering in happiness, as he saw farlan with a smile and it changed once shane fell to the ground. 

his coughing came up suddenly, no one heard at first due to the cheering and yelling of the other team. shane's hands were against the fake grass as he couldn't get his breathe back, almost as if someone shot him straight through the heart. farlan ran over to shane's side, and took him into his arms. 

his eyes then shifted over to the small puddle of blood that mixed with mucus, and he stared at shane, who's lips had blood on them as he continued to cough heavily. shane took one look into farlan's eyes, the blue so familiar.

"ryan..." shane called out before coughing back again and pushing farlan away from him. 

nurses ran out into the field as the coach called for them, they saw shane's condition, and knew this was way too serious for them to fix him. 

"call 911!" one of the nurses yelled at the top of her lungs.

this was more than just a cold.

more than just a stomach ache. 

this was the sight of kid dying right before their eyes. 

____

alright i don't know if i want to show ryland's life now

or to continue with shane's problem...

life is difficult oml

- andy