ch. eighteen

the boy i fell in love with

shane pulled his car into the large driveway, as he shut off the engine and looked over at his little brother. he sat there in the backseat in his booster seat, playing with shane's old set of hot wheels. shane smiled to himself, he loved lucas with all of his heart, and it pained him of thought of him leaving him one day.

"hey bud, we're home." shane smiled, as lucas looked up and cheered happily. "let's go, come on!"

lucas unbuckled himself from the seat and opened his door, as shane helped him down the car. he took lucas's hand into his, as they walked to the front door and shane opened the door with his key. he let lucas in first, as he ran inside and plotted himself right in front of the tv, ready for shane to turn it on for him.

"alright, what are we gonna watch this time around?" shane asked, as he closed the door behind him, and sat down next to his little brother. "spongebob? rugrats? maybe adventure time? or them oddparents?"

"i want spongebob, shaney." lucas giggled, as shane rolled his eyes and smiled at his brother.

"unoriginal, but alright." shane responded, as he went into the kitchen and got a small bag of goldfish with a juice box and went over to hand it to his little brother. "alright, you sit here and watch tv, and i'm gonna go upstairs and do some stuff."

lucas took his snack, and nodded at shane, already being too engrossed by the screen in front of him. shane then went up the staircase, and into his room. he looked around, only seeing a bed, his old desk and chair with a dresser and tall bookshelf. he always got a little sad when he would walk into his old room, it reminded him of the day he left it to go live somewhere else.

"stop it, shane. just get shit done." he muttered to himself, as he then sat at his desk with his old computer in front of him. "alright, psychology homework, here we fucking go."

before he knew it, two hours had passed, and shane's parents arrived home. he could tell by the way lucas would scream out for them right when they would come through the doorway. shane closed out of his computer, and walked downstairs to see his parents. when they came in sight, he saw his father and claire sitting down on the ground, ticking lucas, who was laughing hysterically and rolling on the floor.

a soft smile appeared on shane's face, as he watched everything happen in front of him. this was what his childhood was suppose to look like, but that didn't happen. instead, he lived with an abusive mother and when he finally escaped the chaos, he was hit with a disease that was bound to kill him. though, he was happy that lucas could live a normal life, and that he could his parents a normal outcome.

something that he could never do.

"oh, hey shane, how was your day?" kyle asked, as he looked up to see shane smiling down at the family, as he just shrugged. "well, do you want to stay for dinner?"

"yeah, sure, why not?" shane beamed, as claire stood up to start dinner and kyle picked lucas up and took him back to the couch. "alright, i'll be upstairs, i have to finish up some homework."

"alright, we'll call you down when dinner is ready." claire nodded towards him, as she was grabbing pans out from the cabinets.

shane went back up the stairs, slightly out of breathe since the last time, but he carried on. it was more than normal at this point. he sat back down on his chair, as he continued to work on his homework, as he finished it fairly quickly.

shane then went over to his closet to get his hoodie, since it was fall and it becoming colder. he took the hoodie off the shelf and something fell onto the ground along with it. shane threw on his hoodie quickly, before then picking up a small rose gold bracelet that had a little infinity sign on it.

he stared a little bracelet, as his mind was trying to grasp onto the memories of the bracelet. his brain was in full gear, as finally there was a sentence that came across his mind. a man's voice, it was christmas time.

"this way you'll never forget who your best friend is."

shane's mind clicked, as his eyes widened.

"greet me when you can remember me."

"oh shit." shane muttered, as he grabbed his phone off the bed and ran down the stairs, which was probably a mistake due to him losing track of his breath, but it didn't matter right now. "hey, sorry, i have to head out, i'll see you guys later."

shane quickly waved bye to his parents, leaving them utterly confused. shane got into the car, and started the engine up. he drove quickly back to his "home", slightly excited that maybe...just maybe. when he arrived, he parked his car and ran inside, impressively putting his mask over his face. the nurses watched shane, never ever seeing him run so fast, or even run at all.

"hey shane! don't run so fast like that!" miss jennings yelled out, not wanting for him to put himself in harms way as she ran after him. "shane!"

shane threw open his room door, as he threw the mask onto the bed, his breath everywhere as he was even slightly wheezing but he didn't care. he went into his closet, and yanked the small box off the shelf and threw the top off. his cough started to come up, as he was searching for the picture throughout the box. he heard miss jennings come in, as she sat down next him, concerned with his state.

"shane, shane get up. let's get you to the air machine, come on." she said, as she tried getting him up, but he yanked his hand out of hers.

"no....no....i have-have to find.....find...the...pic-" he couldn't finish his sentence, as his cough was taking over and he couldn't catch him breath, but he still pursued to find the picture.

finally, at the bottom of the box, there laid the one picture the boys ever took. it was the new year's day.

- flashback -

"alright, boys, picture time!" ryan's mom, vicki, said as she held a polaroid camera in her hands. "come on, hurry before the sparklers stop."

ryan threw his arm over shane's waist and leaned his head down on his shoulder as he held the sparkler in his left hand, while shane threw his arm over ryan and held his sparkler in the right hand. they smiled, and the picture flashed as once it appeared, ryan's mother let them both see.

"you two are so cute, who's going to keep it?" vicki asked, as she smiled at the two.

"i want shane to keep it." ryan laughed cutely, as he handed the picture to shane and smiled. "shane, you promise to never lose it? never forget me or i'll never talk to you again mister!"

"i promise, ry." shane laughed, as he took the picture and stuffed into his pocket.

- end of flashback -

the picture alone calmed down shane, as he laughed and smiled at the picture. the boy from earlier was the same boy that he spent a wonderful six months with in his childhood. the same boy that saved him from the horrible life with his mother. the same boy that was the first to love shane. the same boy that shane fell in love with.

joyful tears started to stream down shane's eyes as he put the bracelet and the picture to his heart and clutched it close. he never thought that he'd ever get to see him ever again, and yet, he was here. shane could finally be able to see the one person he loved the most before...well, it's not the end yet.

"oh ryan, how could i forget you?"

_____

omg the dads are coming back together????

no double chapter until saturday for this story lmao

it's literally 2 in the morning when i'm writing this

- andy :)