The Mirror of Erised

Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake was solid and the air was cold. 

I spent most of the time with the Weasley twins. Which meant lots of trouble, for them, I never got caught. 

Hedwig came by nearly every day just to hang out with Harry and me. I helped Hagrid nurse the sick owls. 

I couldn't wait for the holidays to start. Everyone was getting so festive. All the classrooms were warm and festive. Except for Professor Snapes' room down in the dungeons. 

"I do feel sorry," said Draco Malfoy, one day in Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home." 

"Oh does that mean you're staying at Hogwarts, Malfoy?" I smirked. 

Everyone laughed. Malfoy looked angry and embarrassed. Good, he's been acting even more unpleasant since the Quidditch game.  

"At least I've got a home and parents to go to." He said angrily.

 It was a big mistake because Professor Snape went to  Malfoys table "What was that Mr. Malfoy?" If looks could kill, Malfoy would be nothing but dust right now.

"N-N-nothing sir." Malfoy stuttered. 

"That's what I thought," Snape said coldly and went back to teaching. 

Harry gave me a silent high-five. We weren't going back to Privet Drive for Christmas. We made sure of that. This was going to be the best Christmas ever. 

I was walking outside with Ron and Harry since Hermione went and saw Hagrid holding a giant tree.
"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked. 

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

Hagrid walked away but we wished he didn't 2 seconds after. 

"Are you trying to earn some money, Weasley?" Malfoys annoying voice came from behind us. ", Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose-- that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family used to." That was a mistake. I was about to lunge at Malfoy but Ron beat me to it. 

"WEASLEY!" We heard Snapes' voice to the right and there he was.

I pulled Ron off of Malfoy.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," I said. "Malfoy was insulting his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Miss Potter" Snape said sounding actually sorry. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Malfoy pushed his way past us, smirking. 

"I'll get him," said Ron, staring daggers at Malfoys back, "one of these days, I'll get him--"

"I hate them both," said Harry, "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on Harry, Snape could have done worse, let's go to the Great Hall," I said trying to change the subject.  So we all walked into the Great Hall. It was beautiful we sat down admiring all the holly, mistletoe, and decorative trees in the room. 

Hermione came and sat down next to us.
"We better go to the library now since lunch is in half an hour." She said.
Hermione told me about Nicolas Flamel.
We were in the library every chance we got, which wasn't a lot. 

It was the day before break so everyone who was going home for the holidays was outside saying goodbye to their friends. 

"Promise that you'll write." She said for the tenth time today.
So for the tenth time today, I told her "I promise Mione' I'll write nearly every day."