Dragon King's Odyssey #1

Thoughts swirled inside Ryuo's head like a whirlpool, taking a hold of him with its cold fingers as he was swept into the storm; his mind cascading into the twisted rabbit hole of his mind, the roars trapped in his head echoing around him like the beats of a war drum. He was tired. This journey for purpose has taken its toll on his body. Even with the stamina potions that he chug jugged and the rings that provide him with energy he was exhausted, not in body but in mind; fatigue aided by the steady pounding of his heart that reverberated in his chest. It fills him with anxiety.

Fear of what he's become.

Is this what he truly is? A creature of instinct and desire? A demon who's very existence thrives within war and ruin fueled by the blood of his fallen adversaries, reveling in the pain and the adrenaline of the battle. He's better off dead. The sins on his back is severing his spine, the weight of each and every crime pushing him closer and closer to the edge. Weak. Dead weight. Useless. Failure. He was a failure. His inability to think rationally cost Shalltear her life. If only he was a split second earlier, he could've-

Nevermind.

A sigh escapes his lips, wiping his brow as the bright sun beat relentlessly against his armor. The heat tests his patience, but he will not falter. Not anymore. Sweat rolls down his chin as his tongue licks his lips, soothing the chapped skin as he continued to journey forward. How long has it been? Days? Weeks? Months? His sense of time was broken as he lumbered forward without rest, wading through hot mornings and cold nights without a wink of rest. This is his atonement for his sins. The deeds he carries on his shoulders wear him down more than his selfish campaign for meaning.

Selfish, huh.

A small chuckle escapes his lips as the thought passed through his mind. Was he actually selfish? Oh joy, the benevolent Supreme Being was actually a selfish, broken man. Would they laugh if they saw him in this state of his, or shower him with pity as they do what they can to help him. The thought fills his mouth with bile. What a miserable piece of shit he turned out to be. A growl knocks him out of his reflection, and he is dragged back into his current predicament.

Hunger.

Ryuo rubs his stomach in pain, attempting to soothe the ache that has been plaguing his stomach. Maybe rest is needed, after all. A sigh escapes his lips, dropping the massive bag that he carries with him with a thud. Groans of relief escapes his lips as he bends and stretches his body, small pulses of pleasure reverberating throughout his body as he felt his muscles realign and his bones pop back into place. His stretches soothe his aching joints, even for a little while, as he falls onto the cool, smooth
sand.

Unconsciousness takes over.

Ryuo rests upon the desert, blanketed by the numbing cool winds of the Sahara.

===

Dark. It's really dark.

No light meets his eyes.

Hands outstretched towards the void, fingers meeting nothingness.

His grasp empty as he falls into the darkness, his body in free fall.

Shock fills his body as he shoots upward.

Light. Suffering. Pain.