Chapter Five

Chapter 5:

After I took my shower, I went back into the kitchen (fully clothed I might add) to find Louis bent over a spitting pan of bacon.

‘Smells good.’ I commented,

‘Let’s hope it tastes good to, I’m not the best cook on the planet.’ He said anxiously. ‘Your phone went off by the way, whilst you were in the shower. I didn’t look at it though.’

‘I wouldn’t have minded but thanks.’ I said as I went to retrieve it from my bedroom. I quickly unlocked my brick phone and went to my messages. As soon as I read it, tears began welling in my eyes, and I heard my phone clatter to the floor.

‘You alright love?’ I heard Louis call from the kitchen. He obviously noticed my very delayed (or non-existent) reply as next thing I knew he had his arms around me. ‘What wrong Char? Why are you crying?’

‘I...I lost my job.’ I choked out.

‘What? But you were so good last night, this is ridiculous.’

‘Not that job.’

‘Wait, you have more than one job?’

‘Yeah, and now I can’t pay for my Grandpa’s therapy and my rent will be late, and can’t let Ciara pay it again and I just…’

‘Shhhh, don’t cry we’ll fix it. Why did you lose it?’

‘What’s the time?’ I sniffed,

‘About 11 o’clock.’ He replied,

‘I was meant to start at 6.’

‘Oh.’

‘Yeah oh. I think I need to get some fresh air.’

‘Why don’t we go and get some breakfast out.’ Louis suggested.

‘But what about the breakfast you were cooking?’

‘I’m afraid that might have to go in the bin.’ He looked a little sad.

‘I’m so sorry Louis, you put all that effort in and I ruined it’ I hugged him tightly and he returned it.

‘It’s alright; it probably wouldn’t have been edible anyway.’ A small smile greeted my lips. ‘Come on; get your coat- we’re going out.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 minutes later and we were sat in a small café sipping hot chocolates and waiting for the food to arrive. I look up from the hot chocolate in my hands to find Louis gazing at me. I take the opportunity to look at him properly. It’s not like I haven’t looked at his face before- it’s just I always seem to find new things every time I look at him. Small, insignificant things: like how the corners of his eyes crinkle when he smiled, but only for little smiles- his big, genuine smiles were a different matter. Like how one ear was ever so slightly higher than the other and like how his front teeth were never on show when he showed his cheeky smile. I realised I had been staring him longer than I thought- as he cleared his throat. I looked around to see that the waitress had arrived with our food.

As my plate of waffles were set in front of me, my eyes lit up. I breathed in deeply- I know that sounds cheesy but they smell so good!

‘Are you gonna eat or what?’ Louis asked with his mouth stuffed full of bacon, eggs and toast.

‘Charming.’ I commented as I dug into my waffles with a fork.

‘So, I was thinking.’

‘This can’t be good.’ I sniggered.

‘Hey, you’re mean.’ Louis whined. ‘I actually have a plan to help you, but since you’re being so mean…’ He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted.

‘I’m sorry Lou, please continue.’

‘Okay,’ he chirped happily as he dug into his food again, ‘So you need to pay your rent, and you need money to do that.’

‘Go on,’ I prompted.

‘And I happen to have some money…’

‘No Louis, I’m not a charity case. I’ll just have to find another job.’

‘But…’

‘No buts, I’ll deal with it.’

‘Fine.’ He said with a sigh, but I saw a sneaky smile underneath- what on earth was he planning?

After we had finished the food, Louis paid- after many protests from me. He threatened to go find Ciara and give her the money to pay my bills so I couldn’t stop him- in the end I decided to let him have his way. We decided to take the scenic route home- through the park:

‘So what’s next for you?’ I asked Louis,

‘Since our tour just finished, we have a lot of award ceremonies coming up, but other than that and a few performance and interviews, we practically have the next 4 months off- then we will get down to writing another album.’ He replied.

‘Sounds good, planning on going away at all?’

 ‘Maybe, I just want to chill at the moment.’

‘Fair enough. I should probably get going; I need to start job hunting.’ I said with a grimace.

‘Hey, chin up. You’ll be fine, and you’ve got people supporting you.’ He offered.

‘Yeah I suppose, how far is your flat from here?’ I asked,

‘I’ll walk you back to yours; it’s not far from there.’

‘If you’re sure…’

‘I’m sure I’m sure.’ He smiled and took my hand in his. Surprised by the gesture, I began to lead us out of the park.

[sorry about the length and the ending- it's crap I know :) ]