Chapter Six

Chapter 6:

The afternoon of job-hunting turned out to be a complete waste of time as I am no closer to a job now than I was in the park. 4 hours later and I find myself on my way to the O2 yet again for my evening job. I rounded the corner into the staff car park and was greeted by the sight of Laura sprinting across the car park towards me- red faced and all.

‘Char, come quick.’ She shouted, waving her hands about like a mad-woman.

‘What? What is it?’ I shouted back.

‘Just come and see.’ She said before turning around and walking back. I quickened my pace and caught up with her.

‘What’s so urgent?’

‘Like I said, come and see.’ We walked into the building through the stage door, through all of back stage and out the door into the arena- the exact opposite of the trip I took with Laura last night. When we finally reached Miss Turner’s office, I started to get really nervous. It couldn’t be too bad could it? Laura would’ve warned me if it was, wouldn’t she? And I thought everyone said I did well last night…

I had no more time to ponder over what was coming as the door was flung open by Miss Turner herself.

‘Ah, Char my dear. There you are, come in please.’ I did as she said ‘Take a seat. Now I’m sure you know why I’ve asked you to come up here today.’

‘Actually, no I don’t have a clue.’ She turned to Laura in disbelief.

‘You haven’t told her?’ She said; her mouth agape.

‘Nope,’ she said, popping the p ‘I wanted it to be a surprise.

‘Knowing you Laura, I’m surprised you haven’t blabbed.’ Laura looked mischievous. ‘Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, so I’m sure you’ve heard at least that Laura’s leaving?’

‘Ummm, was I supposed to?’ I said meekly.

‘Well, it’s been the hot topic for the past month or so.’

‘Why?’ I said to Laura.

‘Alistair got a new job (my husband) and we are moving up to Manchester.’

‘Oh, okay then.’ I said, still a little puzzled. ‘So why am I here?’

‘Well, we have a vacancy for a new stage manager and we think we might know someone perfect for the job.’ Oh great, they want me to help recruit a new stage manager, there I was all hopeful for a mere Nano-second. ‘Certain people have been saying some very good things about her and her ability.’

‘How can I help? Do you want me to like, help her settle into her job or something when she comes?’

‘What are you on about Char?’ Laura gaped, ‘You’re gonna be the new stage-manager silly.’

As embarrassing and unflattering as this is, my mouth literally fell to the ground. I was unable to speak. Pull yourself together- actually pay attention to what she’s saying this time maybe?

‘We can accommodate you completely; there will be an office with your name on it and nice healthy salary, but if you don’t want to do it that’s fine.’

‘Are you serious? I could never ignore this opportunity in a million years, you have no idea what this means to me.’ I was actually on the verge of tears it meant that much.

‘Well I’m glad to see that, might mean this place will start going up again, no offence Laura.’

‘None taken, I completely agree.’ Laura stated with a grin before starting to get up out of her seat. ‘But I’ve got to go; I’ll see you later Char.’ with that she was gone.