{25} The Box

Chapter 25:

Alison's POV

After what happened between Emily and I, I make my way back inside The Grille to accompany the girls at our table. I take my seat and Spencer immediately senses something wrong as she looks at me while putting down her spoon loud enough to gain the other girls attention.

"Okay, what happened?" I look at her and I burst into tears, Hanna grabs onto me while I cry on her shoulder, she rubs my back while shushing me to quiet my sobs. 

"Shhhh it's okay. Ali, what happened?" Hanna lets out, trying to get an answer from me. Once I finally calm myself down, I sit up and I look at the girls, sadly before confessing.

"Emily and I are done." All their mouths drop as they exchange looks with each other. Aria was the first to speak up.

"No way, you're kidding right?" Aria asks me with disbelief, I sniffle while shaking my head.

"No, I wish I was but I feel like it's the best option since she's leaving for Texas in a week anyway." I explain with pain while Spencer arches an eyebrow at me, already knowing there's more to the story.

"There's more, I know it."

"There's not."

"Yes, there is. Just say it Ali, it's okay." Spencer tries once more, I sigh in defeat before clearing my throat.

"Emily was with other girls while I was gone, not just Sydney. Sydney was the one who had to tell me because Emily doesn't remember anything about it. I just don't think a relationship is good for either of us since we both obviously need some growing up to do still." I tell them firmly as the girls take in my explanation. Spencer nods and looks at me, giving a reassuring smile.

"Well, we'll always support you two, together or not." Spencer lets out, attempting to bring up my mood as the girls pull me into a big tight hug.

"It'll be okay." I tell myself rather to the girls. I sigh once more before I take in my first bite of food for the evening.

Once we all finish eating, we quickly pay and I'm the first to get driven home. As we pull into my driveway, we spot Emily, sitting on my porch. I look back at the girls, who were all giving me an encouraging smile while I finally get out the car, Emily stands once she makes eye contact with me.

"We'll see you tomorrow." Hanna says before waving over to Emily, Emily returns the wave and soon Spencer drives away, leaving me alone in the most heart wrenching position with Emily.

I walk slowly towards my porch where I spot Emily holding a box in her hands. I look at the box and then back at her with a confusing look upon my face. I give her a soft smile before questioning her motive for being at my house this late at night.

"What are you doing here?" 

Emily's POV

Once I arrive at Alison's house, I decide to sit out on the porch, contemplating on what to say once I see her. I pull out my 'Ali' box and lay it on top of my lap as I shake my leg profusely due to anxiety.

I need to let her go.

We'll be separated in less than a week and now I have no choice other than to move on. I sit on Ali's porch for a few solid minutes until Spencer's car pulls in and Alison steps out. My heart stops the same moment she does once she sees my presence and I quickly stand up, holding the box in my hands. I wave at them and wait until the girls drive away before making a move forward towards Alison, whose eyes quickly drop down to her shoes and then back at me as she gives me a soft smile.

"What are you doing here?" 

I look down at the box and rub the top before laying my arm out, showing her the name.

"I just wanted to give you this"

"Ali?" she questions while smiling as she glances at her nickname that was imprinted on top of the box. I hand it to her and turn on my heels to walk away. 

As I make a few steps past Alison's driveway, I feel a hand grab my wrist and spinning me around. I find myself face to face with the beautiful blonde and before I could speak, she leans forward and connects our lips together, softly. Our lips move together in a slow, steady pace as I take in the taste of her lips once more, I savor her mouth wholeheartedly while tugging on her bottom lip. Moments later, Alison pulls away slowly and out of breath.

"One hell of a way to break up, huh?" Alison lets out with a breathy tone as she looks up to me, I caress her face before responding softly.

"I love you..." I softly say before Alison smiles, grabs my hands and kisses them before finishing my sentence.

"...forever."

Alison's POV

"So why are you giving me this?" I ask Emily as I take a seat on my porch, Emily joins my side while I hold the box close and open it. I look through the items but the one thing that really sticks out to me was our book, "Great Expectations".

I rub the cover with my thumb as I look at Emily, who was looking at the items as well. I smile at the memory of us two that conquers my mind after seeing our book.

"I remember that time at the library, I read this to you...and you kissed me..." I say softly, reminiscing our time together. Emily's face turns red as I hold her face close and kiss her lips gently.

"...and technically, that was our first kiss...and that was the best day of my life." I confess to her as she smiles.

"Well, I just feel like you should keep these, so you'll have some remembrance when I leave." Emily explains as she fidgets with the small Eiffel Tower keychain. I stop her motions and look deep into her eyes while shaking my head.

"I could never forget you." I sniffle out as Emily sadly smiles at me.

"Forgetting you is not even a possibility for me."

I hug her tight, never wanting to let go as we stay in each other's arms for a few moments, it was soothing, but knowing Emily was leaving so soon just made it even harder for me to physically let her go. Emily finally breaks our hug and the silence as she glances down at her phone for the time.

"It's getting late, babe." Emily sighs as she pulls me back in for another tight embrace.

"I know, you should go home. It's okay." I reassure her as I rub her back gently, I let go and stand up with her while she turns to make her way towards her car.

"I love you." I let out with more desperation in my tone than I intended, I watch Emily's shoulders relax before she turns around to meet my gaze.

"I love you more." she smiles back as she stands still in her place while I shake my head, inching closer to her.

"Not possible."

Soon, I find myself running and jumping into her arms as I place another kiss onto her lips. Emily wraps her arms around me to steady ourselves as she places a small kiss onto my forehead while slowly letting me down back onto the ground. Our foreheads pressed against each other as we both try to catch our breath, tears seeping out our eyes while we reluctantly release each other. Emily interlaces our hands together and I walk her to her car, she slowly unravels our hands as she steps into her car and I reach to place a final kiss on her lips.

As Emily drives away from my house, I turn to sit back down on my porch while holding the box tightly in my arms, quietly sobbing to myself as I look up at the stars and hope that everything between Emily and I will finally be okay.