Derek: Old Friendships Never End

(Previously: Derek warns Scott not to play in the lacrosse game on Saturday otherwise Derek will kill Scott himself. Derek has a dream about Kristin where she reminds him that he and Kristin are mates and that’s never going to change.)

“Derek, Derek . . . Derek!” Scott’s screams as he gets off of his bike and marches towards my front yard. I take it that he saw Alison got her jacket back. I dropped it off earlier today and put it in Alison’s locker at school as a reminder to Scott that I can be anywhere at any time.
While Scott is distracted I use my werewolf speed and appear on the front porch, and stand on the corner waiting for Scott to notice me. I’ve been trying to keep myself distracted and not think about the dream with Kristin. It’s bad enough that I am in the same town as her, the pain of being near but far is almost worse than being 3,000 miles away from her.
“Stay away from her!” Scott yells as I start walking across the porch and down the cement stairs. “She doesn’t know anything,” Scott seethes, his voice is shaking with anger and I know I have gotten under his skin.
“Yeah?” I reply as I drop from the stairs and to the ground. “What if she does? What you think your little buddy Stiles can just Google werewolves and now you have got all the answers, is that it? You don’t get it yet Scott but I’m looking out for you. Think about what can happen, you’re out on the field and the aggression takes over and you shift in front of everyone.” I add before I grab Scott’s lacrosse stick which is sitting in his open bag on the ground by my feet. I’ve learnt that Kristin’s cousin is called Stiles apparently I was right all along. I still can’t believe that is his nickname I mean Stiles . . . Really?
“Your mom, all your friends when they see you-” I add and tease Scott by poking him in the chest with the stick and moving it away before Scott can grab it. Then I let my nails shift into claws and tear through the material leaving three claw marks. “Everything falls apart.” I reply and showing of my handy work before I throw the stick in the air. While Scott is distracted I speed away and back into the house, all before Scott catches the stick. I can see the shock on his face as he scans the surroundings searching for me.
After a handful of seconds pass I watch as he picks up his helmet from the ground, grabs his bag and gets back on his bike speeding away through the trees.
“That was some performance.” I hear Tane’s voice as soon as Scott disappears on his bike. Tane is standing exactly where Scott was just moments ago and I hold back the snarl that is trying to break free. Seriously . . . Why is this happening to me?
Within the span of a second I’m back downstairs and out on the front porch glaring at Tane, “Okay why are you here?” I ask. I only just got rid of Scott, can’t I just be alone or is that too much to ask for?
“I was hoping you wouldn’t still be mad at me.” Tane replies and I hold in the chuckle, why wouldn’t I still be mad at him? I’m not exactly the forgiving type and Tane knows that.
“You should go.” I reply simply.
“I’m not going anywhere.” Tane crosses his arms over his chest and I know the only way I’m going to get rid of him is if I literally kick him off of my property. I’m not looking for a fight but of course one manages to find me- the story of my life.
“You really want to do this again. I kicked your ass last time and I’ll do it again!” I threaten as I walk towards Tane and don’t stop until I’m right in front of him. I can feel my face begin to shift instantly as my finger nails extend into claws again. My usual green eyes are now fluoro blue, my four canine teeth are long and sharp, my ears have pointed and the excess hair on the sides of my face have grown. Shifting is almost like a reflex now. I think about it and it happens almost without any effort. The same thing will happen with Belle and Scott after time and lots of practice.
“If you wanna hit me then hit me. I’ll give you a free swing because I can’t have you hating me anymore! The only people I trust 100% are either back in Brooklyn or hate my guts. I miss you man, you’re my bro and I love you and right now I feel like I have no one.” Tane replies and I see the grief and sorrow in his blue eyes.
“Sorry man but I don’t swing that way.” I reply and a smirk surfaces on my lips unintentionally. God damn it! How does Tane always manage to do that? Every time we fight I can never stay mad at him for long, even if I really, really, really want to.
“See I knew you couldn’t stay mad at me forever.” Tane smiles and starts making his way over to my steps and I sigh in frustration before I reluctantly follow Tane who takes a seat at the top of the stairs, and I sit at the very bottom step.
I haven’t just forgiven Tane, part of me is still angry that he is dating Kristin, but if he knew Kristin was my mate I know he would've never started dating her, but I can’t tell him- no one can know.
“Just because I’m not punching you in the face it doesn’t mean I still don’t hate you,” I reply and keep my eyes focussed on a tree off in the distance. I know looking at Tane will make it harder to hate him, now that he has gotten me to smile.
“Can I ask you a question?” Tane asks brushing off my comment. I can tell by the tone of his voice that I’m not going to like what Tane is about to ask me. Please don’t be about Kristin!
“I guess.” I reply and I can practically feel Tane stiffen in response, maybe he won’t ask me about her after all.
“Do you still like Kristin?” Tane asks and I feel myself suddenly sit rigid. Why does it matter? I’m pretty sure Kristin hates me.
“Why?” I ask trying to hide the shock from my voice. I can’t tell Tane the truth. I don’t just like Kristin she’s all I think about and all that I want but none of that matters. Kristin deserves to be happy with someone that isn’t me, even if I feel incomplete without her.
“We kind of had a fight. I don’t know what is happening to us. One minute everything is fine and the next she starts freezing me out and I don’t know why, well I’m not 100% sure but I think it has something to do with you.” I hear the frustration in Tane’s voice as I keep avoiding his eyes. I know I acted like a jerk. I should have at least sent a letter explaining why I was cutting myself off from Kristin but I couldn’t. Every time I tried to write words on a piece of paper I couldn’t get past the first line: Dear Kristin.
I know it’s pathetic and it’s no way to treat your mate but I couldn’t deal with the fact that I had practically killed my family- the only people that understood me well apart from Kristin.
“Have you tried talking to her about it?” I ask. I personally don’t do much talking about anything let alone my feelings.
“I don’t know how or if it’s just me. I can’t believe how much I sound like a girl right now,” Tane chuckles and I agree.
“Is Kristin your- Is she . . .” I stumble. For some reason I can’t say the word. Part of me doesn’t want to know, but I need to know. It can happen and has happened before: two werewolves having the same mate, soul mate- they're the same thing.
I look at Tane who is shifting uncomfortably and I immediately brace myself for the worst.
“I don’t know I mean I’ve heard my brother talk about what it feels like and I really want Kristin to be it but I don’t know.”
I hold in the sigh of relief. When you find your ither half, you know it which means Kristin isn’t Tane’s.
“What about Phoebe?” I ask. I still remember when Phoebe and Tane were literally inseparable, until je moved onto Kristin. I knew from the very beginning not that I told Tane. I could smell Kristin all over him. He thought he had drowned out her scent by over dosing on cologne and I let him believe it.
“Phoebe is Phoebe.” Tane shrugs.
“Maybe Kristin is picking up on something between you and Phoebe,” I suggest and Tane’s eyes grow wide in surprise.
“Why would you say that? There’s nothing between me and Phoebe, nothing!” Tane practically shouts.
“Are you cheating on Kristin?” I ask trying to sound indifferent. He can’t be cheating on Kristin, she doesn’t deserve the betrayal.
“No I’m not cheating,” Tane replies and stands to his feet. I hear his heart beat slightly accelerate although I don’t know if it’s because he is lying or because he’s annoyed by my question.
“Phoebe’s your mate isn’t she?” I ask.
“I don’t know.” Tane replies as all the colour washes out of his face.
“Yes you do. Phoebe is who you should be with not Kristin.”
“You want her back don’t you? That’s what this is about. You want me out of the way!” Tane raises his voice again and practically stamps his feet like a bull, all I need is a red cape.
“No I don’t want her back,” I lie. “But if Phoebe is yours, you can’t keep dating Kristin- it’s not fair to her.”
“I don’t need a lecture. I just wanted to hang out like old times . . . Look I’ve got to go I’ll talk to you later.” Tane replies before he jumps from the top of the stairs and lands a few feet in front of me.
“Fine but you know that I’m right,” I reply and watch Tane walk away disappearing in the trees that surround the house. Part of me wants to tell Kristin that her relationship with Tane is doomed, but I can’t. It’s not my place to say anything.
I can’t hurt Kristin again.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
The dedication goes to @ellzzrawrr for making the cover. I know Tyler doesn’t look like Derek because he is in a suit, and that it has a rom-com feel to it which is why I love it!
VOTECOMMENTFAN... ADD TO LIBRARY... XOX