Kristin: Disaster And Heartbreak

(Previously: Kristin plagued by her thoughts arrives at school early to find the bus driver mauled in the school bus.)

“Kristin please stop,” Tane grabs my hand and forces me to face him before I get the chance to reach my wardrobe where my weapons are waiting for me. I’m already dressed in my hunting gear: my stretchy fake black leather pants, black singlet top, combat boots and my fake black leather jacket.
I'm going hunting.
Tane isn’t meant to be home yet. He is still meant to be at work and not here foiling my plans to hunt the alpha again. This time I won’t let him get the drop on me. This time I will do better. I don’t need Derek and I don’t need Tane in fact I’m glad Chris didn’t allow me to be part of his hunting team because I don’t need them either.
“It’s killing now Tane!”
“I know but you need to leave the hunting to the hunters.” Tane replies as he continues to clutch my hand, his blue eyes desperately pleading.
I’ve never been great at anything apart from hunting well except for the killing part. I knew it was wrong to join my father considering my mother and Grams are werewolves, and the Hales who were nothing but kind to me but it has to be done. There isn’t anyone else to stop the bad werewolves and we strictly followed the code.
“I can handle it.” I reply. I’m sick of being a failure. Is this what my life is going to be like forever? Part time receptionist and part time animal carer? I even failed at the only thing I’m good at- hunting.
This is my chance.
“Why are you so obsessed with killing the Alpha?” Tane asks as he releases my hand from his.
“I am not obsessed. I’m just trying to . . . I’m- I can’t just sit around and do nothing when it’s adding to its pack, and killing people in my town.”
“I still don’t understand why you can’t just let the hunters do their job? You are going to get yourself killed.”
“Thanks for having no faith in me.”
“I have faith in you but it’s been a year since you hunted Kristin. It’s not like riding a bike!”
“I know that okay but-” I stammer unsure of what to say. “You know what I’m done with this conversation. Why are home early anyway?” I ask. It’s my turn to demand answers. Tane only skips out on work if it’s very important.
Oh god did it kill another person? Or maybe it has nothing to with the alpha. Is he running back to Phoebe?
“I’m going to Brooklyn tonight. I switched my shift with Reese.”
Wait . . . What?
“Is this your way of breaking up with me?” I ask slightly shocked, yet not at all at the same time.
“No it’s just that my brother is having problems so I’m going to be there for a few days,” Tane replies although I know what that means. We’re having problems and he is going to Brooklyn to get away from me and to think about us.
I should be freaking out so why am I slightly relieved? This is just crazy I don’t know how to feel or what I’m feeling. Why can’t life ever be simple?
“A few days? Let me guess Tina and Phoebe are going too?”
“No it’s just me.” Tane replies and I sigh in relief, at least I won’t have to worry about Tane and Phoebe hooking up while Tane is in Brooklyn analysing our relationship.
“And my Uncle was okay with you taking time off?”
“Yeah he didn’t even ask why. But don’t worry I’ll be back before you know it.” Tane forces a smile, “Please just don’t go hunting until I get back, you shouldn’t be doing that alone. If you are intent on ending the alpha I’ll do whatever I can to help.”
That’s a lot to ask of me and I don’t know if I can do it. The three days will seem more like 30 besides I don’t need Tane’s help. Why won’t he listen to me?
“Just go and don’t worry about me, and have fun with your brother. Tell him I say hey.”
“Kristin I’m serious, taking on a werewolf is one thing but an alpha, it is completely insane to hunt it solo.”
“Fine but as soon as you get back I’m resuming my hunt.” I lie. I’m not going to stop just because Tane wants me too.
He’s not the boss of me.
“I’ll see you in a few days.” Tane replies before he gives me a quick kiss and walks out the bedroom, down the hall and out the front door. I listen as the front door shuts and I take a seat on the end of the bed before I let my thoughts take over.
Why did the alpha kill the bus driver? Was it wrong place and wrong time? It has to be doesn’t it. I mean why would the alpha have a grudge against a bus driver? I wonder if he has added another member to his pack yet.
I hope not.
It’s bad enough he turned Scott, the alpha has to die and I’m going to beat Chris and the rest of his team to it. Instead of focussing on the werewolves I love and care about I will focus on its victims and Scott, and I will kill it without the guilt crushing my soul.
After I take a little nap and reenergise my batteries. My ringing phone buzzes in my pocket and wakes me from my sleep. At least I got a few minutes shut eye without the tossing and turning, and lack of sleep which has been plaguing me for the past few nights, okay well more like for the last week.
“Hey.” I greet as I sit up in bed.
“Grams is in hospital, she had a heart attack.” My mother’s voice is frantic and full of worry and fear.
“But she is going to be okay right?” I try to fight off the panic but it starts to suffocate me.
The silence makes it worse.
“Mom? Please talk to me.”
A few more seconds pass before I hear my mother sniffle.
“I don’t want to say it over the phone. I need to talk to you in person.”
“Grams is dying isn’t she?” I ask hoping and praying this is just a nightmare. That I didn’t really wake up and I’m still asleep, this isn’t really happening.
It can’t be. Not yet at least.
“I’ll see you soon.” My mother replies before hanging up the phone.
The shock has hold of my body and is refusing to release me, but I don’t have time for this. I need to go to the hospital and I need to leave now.
Move body!
It feels like an hour has passed by the time my body starts responding although I know it’s only been 10 minutes tops. Do I call Tane? Should I call Tane? No I can’t, he obviously needs the space besides he will be back in a few days.
I should probably buy something like a get better balloon and a cute stuffed toy. She loves the plush wolves I have been buying her. Grams smiles every time I bring her one and maybe I should let Derek know that Grams is sick.
It takes a lot to exit the car that is parked in front of Derek’s house behind his black Camaro. It doesn’t help that the last time I saw Derek he had company as in the crazy bitch Tina who also happened to be wearing his shirt. It’s obvious Tane and I interrupted something. I really don’t get it. I mean Tina!?
“What happened, what’s wrong?” Derek asks as he suddenly appears on the porch before I barely manage to get a few steps ahead.
“How do you know something is wrong?” I ask puzzled. Maybe my mother has already beaten me to the punch and told him.
Doubt it.
“Lucky guess,” Derek shrugs.
“Okay well I just got a call from my mum and Grams is in hospital. She had a heart attack and I think she would really like to see you.” I reply grateful the dark night sky is shadowing my face. I don’t want to look weak especially in front of Derek.
Or maybe I’m just being an idiot.
“Is she going to be okay?”
“She will be fine after some rest.”
There’s a long pause before Derek finally speaks, “I’ll meet you there.”
Instead of replying I get in my car and start making my way to the hospital although the journey is a complete blur; in fact I don’t know how I arrived in one piece without causing a car accident.
I’m probably over-thinking it. I mean my mother didn’t say anything when I asked if Grams is dying. I’m sure after a lot of rest Grams will be okay, in fact better than okay. I’m stressing over nothing.
Tap, tap, tap. Derek interrupts me from my thoughts as his knuckles rap on the window. How long have I been sitting in the car for?
After taking a small deep breath I get out of the car and lock it behind me still hoping for none of this to be real. I know it’s wasteful. It’s obviously not a nightmare but I can’t let go of the hope just yet.
“How long was I in there for?” I ask as we start making our way into the hospital. It’s rather quiet, and I don’t know whether that is a good or bad sign.
Good I hope.
“Ten minutes give or take.”
“You didn’t have to wait for me, you could have gone in.”
“I thought you might have died in there or something.”
“So you wait ten minutes give or take beyond the point of resuscitation . . . Nice.”
“I just figured you needed a few minutes to yourself.”
“And you waited because?” I ask as we walk through the automatic doors.
“Do you know what room?” Derek replies, completely ignoring my question in the process how typical.
The halls are practically empty apart from the nurses and doctors roaming around and it only takes me a few seconds to spot Melissa who is behind the desk at the nursing station. I’m assuming my mother is in the room with Grams probably fussing over her and annoying her.
“Hey Kristin. Elle is literally just around the corner.” Melissa forces a smile.
“Thanks,” I reply surprised Melissa didn’t tell Derek he had to leave since visiting hours are far from over. I guess the perks of having a mother as a nurse and knowing her nurse friends. Melissa is my favourite and not because she is Scott’s mother, but because she is always nice to me and treats me like an adult.
As we enter the room my mother and Belle greets us with a forced smile before my mother asks Belle to accompany her to the coffee machine. I want to tell them to stay but I know they won’t listen, well apart from Belle whose eyes lit up at the sight of Derek.
“I should probably go get some coffee as well,” I speak softly as Derek reaches Grams side. The last thing I want to do is wake her, she probably needs as much sleep as possible so she can heal and get better.
“Don’t leave,” my grams frail voice asks as I turn my back and head for the door. I haven’t heard my Gram’s voice in nearly two years and the initial shock takes hold of my body before I snap out of it.
I don’t like hospitals, they are depressing and a horrible reminder of how short life can be.
Grams doesn’t belong here.
“Okay.” I force a small smile as I approach my Grams bedside and grab her hand. I’ve never been so happy to hear someone’s voice before. It has got to be a sign that Grams is going to be alright.
“I’m so glad to see you, both of you,” she smiles and looks between Derek and me. I have my Grams back, the one before the horrible house fire six years ago- the Grams that I have been missing more than anyone.
“It’s great to see you too,” Derek smiles slightly as if his face will crack if his smile grows any further.
“Honey can you move over to the other side? I’m too exhausted to look in both directions,” Grams asks me, and as much as I don’t want to be by Derek’s side I know I can’t refuse her. She needs to focus on gaining energy not wasting it.
“Of course,” I reply before I take the handful of steps and stand beside Derek. I still can’t believe it, it almost feels like the past six years never happened, and like Grams never left us.
“That’s better. I’m so happy you two are together again.” Grams smiles. I want to tell her she is wrong and that Derek and I will never be together but I haven’t seen that smile in a long time and I can’t ruin her happiness. It might help the healing process.
“Actually-” Derek starts.
“I think what Derek was going to say is that we are very happy right Derek?” I ask hoping he is going to join the charade and not go against it.
At first he raises an eyebrow before he gives me an understanding nod. “Yeah very happy,” Derek replies with no enthusiasm at all but my Grams doesn’t seem to notice the conviction missing from his voice.
“Both of you just made me the happiest Grandma alive,” her smile continues to grow as what I assume are tears of happiness swell in her eyes. As guilty as I feel for lying I have to do everything in my power to ensure that my Grams will fight for her life and not leave us, not again.
“Well you better stay that way, alive I mean.”
“I can’t promise you that,” she replies as the smile disappears from her face completely. For the past six years my grams has been slipping away from reality- more and more each year. It got to the point where we had to put her in a home two years ago. My grams stopped taking care of herself and stopped talking to us all together. It was like a part of her died along with the rest of Derek’s family.
“But isn’t this what you wanted?”
“Of course it is, you two belong together,” she replies although I’m to angry to argue otherwise. I can’t believe what she is saying.
“You’re not even going to fight?” the hurt and annoyance is clear in my voice, how can she even think like that?
“Honey I’m dying and there’s no fighting that. Didn’t your mother tell you?”
“Doctors can be wrong, they give people hours and days to live all the time and those patients exceed it by months even years- you will be-”
“It’s my time.” Grams interrupts.
“Stop talking like that!” I demand.
“I should go. I’ll just be outside.” Derek interrupts before he leaves the room.
“I’m sorry.”
“How long?” I feel the tears as they begin to fill my eyes. It’s cruel. Why give me my Grams back just to take her away forever this time.
My Grams doesn’t speak, instead she just looks away from me and suddenly it’s like everything is much clearer. I’m really seeing my Grams for the first time. Her skin is pale and is all skin and bones, she looks just moments from death.
“I don’t want you to be upset. I’m going to be in a better place,” Grams tries to convince me but I can listen to any more talk about death.
“I love you Grams but I can’t talk about this right now besides I’m sure Derek wants to talk to you,” I gently kiss her on the forehead before I leave the room, somehow managing to fight back the tears against all odds.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTE... COMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX