Derek: The End?

(Previously: Derek starts training Scott and gets a visit from Belle who asks for advice about guys. Derek visits Scott again and finds out the Alpha visited him, drawing a spiral on Scott’s car window. Derek knows that it’s a symbol which stands for revenge/vendetta but keeps the information to himself.)  

Due to my desperation I’ve decided to ask for answers from an unusual and probably unhelpful source, but there’s a small chance he might know something and be able to respond and I have to try at least, even if my attempt fails. My uncle Peter is in long term care at the Beacon Crossing Home. It’s a reasonably sized flashy building with lots of rooms for patients and resembles a smaller version of the hospital. Peter’s room looks like all the others with his hospital bed and gadgets sitting in the centre although the rest of the space is bare. He is the only reason for my return trips to Beacon Hills although it’s always been the same. I’d arrive and try to get a response and fail.
I’m hoping this time will be different.
Wait there’s s a car pulling up to the house . . . It’s Kristin.
She’s obviously here for a round two.
Yeah that’s not going to happen.
But your little friend wants to say hello.
Did you just say little?
You know what I mean stop being a drama queen.
“Whatever,” I sigh quietly to myself as I open the front door and step out onto the front porch and wait for Kristin to cross my yard.
Kristin is in her usual attire: jeans, fancy chest revealing shirt, boots and jacket and I have to force myself to focus and keep up my stoic gaze even though the sight of Kristin alone is enough to ignite the burning passion within.
Kristin is probably here to crack at me over the bite mark. It wasn’t deliberate and is part of the bonding process: a primal urge that is impossible to control. It’s the first and only time I’ve completely lost control of my wolf while with Kristin.
Of course now that the bond has been cemented it means Kristin and I have a supernatural link, our souls are connected which comes with both perks and disadvantages. I will be able to seek her out using my senses and feel when she is in pain or experiencing heightened emotions of any kind. It also means I will the feel the distance more than ever before but since Kristin is human, she probably won’t experience any of it since humans rarely do.
Right now Kristin is fighting back a lot of frustration although it’s not all directed at me, but I know she is pissed about the bite and she crosses her arms over her chest when she reaches the bottom of the cement stairs.
Angry sex is the best kind, a little push will help.
I’m not getting Kristin deliberately angry just for sex.
You’re such a pansy.
And you’re such an ass.
“What happened the night Kate shot you?” Kristin asks and I can practically feel the inner turmoil that is almost suffocating her. Kristin’s usual vibrant blue eyes are dull and match the frown on her olive face.
“Why does it matter?” I reply and somehow manage to fight back the urge to comfort her.
“Why did Kate shoot you?”
“Because she is a crazy bitch,” I hiss. Kate is the last person I want to talk about in fact I’m hoping Kate is on the Alpha’s hit list. That’ll be one less problem I have to deal with myself but of course I know my luck doesn’t work that way.
What I want to know is why Kristin is asking me about the shooting and not the bite? Of course the sudden realisation hits me next, Kate did make it sound like they are friends and I still can’t believe it. How can Kristin be friends with such a psychopath!?
Oh please you need to step off your high horse. You feel for Kate’s act as well remember! She completely fooled us.
Yeah I remember.
“So she was in no danger when she shot you?” Kristin asks and I can’t help but wish mind reading was a perk of the bond. Maybe Kristin is starting to realise that Kate is a bad person and deserves to live out the rest of her life behind bars- left to rot in a cell.
“No I was chasing after the alpha,” I reply and try to sound bored in the process although I can’t help but feel concerned as Kristin tries to fight off the wave of guilt and pain that is trying to swallow her whole.
Kristin needs to stay away from Kate for her own safety.
“She killed my family do you trust her?” I ask more harshly than intended as Kristin’s gaze instantly drops to the floor and her head hangs in shame.
I’m assuming that’s a yes.
“You knew from the very start didn’t you?” Kristin asks as she slowly starts to raise her head again but avoids eye contact as well as answering my question.
“Yes.”
“Kate is the girl you were seeing,” Kristin replies although it’s a statement and not a question. Maybe now I won’t have to worry about Kate using Kristin to get to me.
“Yes.”
Wait . . . Kristin can’t be going where I think she is with this.
“So it is my fault. If I hadn’t ended it than you and Kate wouldn’t have happened and your family would still be alive and so would my Grams. That’s why you shut me out and I get it. I’d probably do the same thing.”
“No-” I start.
“It’s okay. I uh have to get going,” Kristin interrupts and turns her back on me which is when I use my speed advantage and grab her elbow before she has the chance to get to her car. It’s time I explain what I’ve been meaning when telling Kristin that she is better off without me, she needs a reason as to why I shut her out of my life.
 It wasn’t her fault my family died it was mine.
“I don’t blame you. What happened to my family isn’t your fault. I’m the one that got played by Kate and deep down you know Kate would’ve found out about my family somehow. I’m the one that killed my family and I couldn’t deal with it.”
And as my punishment I’ve been depriving myself of the one thing I need, the one person I need and that’s you- I keep the last part silent as Kristin keeps her back to me.
“I mean it Kristin,” I reply and a long silent pause follows before Kristin finally faces me although I know she needs more from me and I can’t give it to her at least not yet. My focus has to stay on the Alpha. I need to avenge Laura’s death.
Enough with the excuses already!
Just shut the hell up.
Maybe I’ll think about it when you stop being a coward.
“You can’t trust Kate. You need to stay away from her.”
“I’m not scared of her Derek and I can take her. Besides they say keep your friends close but your enemies closer,” Kristin replies simply but I know if it ever came down to a fight between the two, Kate would be the only one to walk away. The difference being that Kate wouldn’t hesitate to kill Kristin.
I’d be left with no choice but to finally deal with Kate once and for all. She has caused me nothing but pain, and I can’t let her take away another person I love and care about. Why can’t Kristin just listen to me for once?
“Kristin-”
“Derek I don’t need you to protect me. I’m not that clueless and helpless girl anymore. I’ve changed a lot over the past six years.”
“What about the time you were nearly killed by the alpha in the woods?” I ask. If I hadn’t scared it away than Kristin would probably be dead or another person added to his pack, and I’m sure Kristin would’ve hated that even more.
Or maybe not, her mother and sister are werewolves after all.
“Everyone has their off days.”
“But yours can cost you your life. At least you know the Alpha isn’t pretending to be your friend while waiting to shoot you in the back literally.”
Calm down dude. You know Kristin is going to do the opposite of what you say.
I’m trying.
“And I’ll be wearing a bullet proof vest, figuratively of course,” Kristin replies and I know she is still feeling like the blame lies with her and not me where it belongs.
“Just be careful. I’ve got to go,” I reply before I start walking to my car which is on the other side of Kristin’s vehicle although she grabs my arm before I’m able to walk past her. All I want to do is wrap my arms around her and it takes all my strength to resist the urge.
What is she waiting for? I wonder. It looks like Kristin is trying to speak but the words are refusing to form and leave her mouth.
“Watch your back,” I speak softly before I quickly press my lips against the top of Kristin’s head and head straight for my car.
As per usual the home is fairly quiet as I walk through the hallway and past a few vacant rooms before I arrive at my Uncle’s door.
Here goes nothing.
After taking a deep breath I enter the room and see Peter sitting in a wheel chair. I gently grab the arms and face him towards me as I sit at the edge of the bed, “I need your help. If you can hear me I need you to give me a sign.”
This is stupid and you are wasting our time.
No one asked you!
“Blink, raise a finger, anything just something that will point me in the right direction okay?” I ask as I try to keep my voice level and calm and fight away the sorrow as I think about Laura and her dead eyes staring at me.
“Someone killed Laura,” I start making sure to keep my composure. “Your niece . . . Laura” I add after a brief pause.
“Whoever he is, he’s an alpha now but he is one without a pack which means he’s not as strong. I can take him but I have to find him first.”
You mean we can take him.
Shut up!
“Look if you know something than just give me a sign. Is it one of us? Did someone else make it out of the fire? Just give me anything. Blink, raise a finger, anything!” The frustration is starting to grow and I can’t keep up the calm act.
He has to give me something!
“Say SOMETHING,” I demand as my hands grip the arms of the wheelchair and my body moves closer to his but his vacant blue eyes just stare back at me.
“Let him go!” His nurse demands and my body immediately jerks upright. “You think after six years of this yelling at him is going to get a response?” she asks. Her red head is pulled in a very tight ponytail and it almost looks painful.
“You got a better method?” I sneer.
“Patience,  he’ll respond if you give him the time,” her green eyes are almost bulging out of her head and I have to fight back the urge to snap at her.
“I don’t have any more time,” I reply before I rush out of the room and head to my black Camaro which is sitting in the parking lot. There’s a piece of paper on my windshield: a vet report with a picture of a deer and a spiral marked on the carcass.
It’s a sign and after closing time I’m heading to the animal clinic to get answers. Either the vet is the alpha and someone is pointing me in his direction or he knows who the alpha is and put the piece of paper on my car. It’s about time I caught a break.