Derek: Secrets Never Die

I’m in our old house, and I can hear my family screaming as it echoes all around me bouncing off of the walls. I can also smell the smoke as I run down the hallway to the door that leads to the basement.
My hand recoils after it touches the burning metal door handle but I quickly grab onto it again; ignoring the pain as I try to open the door, but nothing is happening as the smoke starts to seep from underneath the door.
“No!” I yell as I take a few steps backward and rush at the door intent on knocking it down, but I fail and injure my shoulder in the process which takes a few seconds to heal.
“I’m coming just hold on!” I scream as I run at the door again using all my strength but I don’t even put a small dint in the door.
It’s impossible.
“Help us!” I hear my mother scream in desperation and this time I kick at the door repeatedly. I can’t give up I have to free them.
“Nothing’s happening,” I scream in frustration. It doesn’t make any sense. The door should be in pieces and not perfectly intact.
“Derek please save us,” I hear my father’s voice pleading but I don’t know what else to do.
“I’m trying,” I force back the tears as I try to think. I need to find a way to knock down the door but how?
My pulse is racing, and I’m sweating like crazy from all my attempts at trying to free my family. I can feel the heat from the flames on the other side of the door.
I quickly run to the kitchen and grab the largest knife I can find. It’s the size of my forearm and I pray that I won’t fail again. I can’t fail again!
“I’ll get you out!” I shout as I plunge the knife into the door, but it bounces right back and I smack myself in the mouth with the handle. There’s not even a scratch on the door but I feel like my jaw is broken.
I can taste blood on my tongue although it only lasts a few seconds before the damage is healed.
“The door won’t budge what do I do?” I ask full of panic as I bang on the door with my fists in desperation, and I’m answered in screams of anguish. I can almost smell the burning flesh.
“No, no I’m coming!” I continue to try to break down the door as I fight back the tears. All I can hear is my family screaming in pain and I can’t do anything to save them; the door is refusing to move.
“Give it up already they’re gone,” I hear Kate chuckle and the rage slams into my chest.
It’s all her fault!
“You did this! I seethe as Kate stands in the doorway with a smug smile plastered on her face. Her light brown hair is down and covering her shoulders and her green eyes are beaming brightly.
I want to rip her apart.
“Awwww are you gonna cry?” She teases as I notice the silence. All I can hear is the fire consuming the basement and I know they are gone. The guilt and sorrow hits me at the same time, and it takes all my energy to hold them both back.
In one quick movement I charge at Kate although just as my body is about to collide with hers; she disappears into thin air and I instantly crumple to the ground.
They’re gone, all of them. They didn’t deserve to die, to be burnt alive. I failed to save them. They all died because of me.

I sit up instantly and search for my phone to find out the time; it’s 2.15am and I sigh in frustration. I hate that nightmare it’s always the same. I never save my family and Kate disappears before I can catch her.
My pulse is racing and my body is covered in perpiration as I lay back down on the dusty couch which is covered with a clean sheet.
I shouldn’t be torturing myself by staying in the family home that is half burnt down, but it fuels my anger and my drive to avenge Laura. Plus it could be worse, at least half the roof is still sturdy enough to block the rain; although I think I will just sleep in my car to make sure I stay dry.

It is just after 4pm when I hear three people trespassing on my property. I can hear them talking and decide to listen to their conversation. Even though I know it’s going to be lame and boring, I have nothing else to do.
“You did great Scott! You were amazing but when did you get so good?” The female gushes before ending with a question.
“I don’t know what it was, it was like I had all the time in the world to catch the ball and that’s not the only weird thing. I . . . I can hear stuff I shouldn’t be able to hear and smell things,” he replies. They sound like young teenagers, and I wonder if he is a new wolf or could just be high and on drugs, but it’s too much of a coincidence to ignore.
“Smell things like what?” The second guy asks.
“Like the mint mojito gum in your pocket,” Scott replies.
“I don’t even have any mint mojito-” There’s a pause, “So all this started with the bite?” the other asks and confirms my suspicions. There is an alpha in town and I instantly start to wonder if it’s responsible for Laura’s death, maybe it killed her to steal her power. At first I was sure it was hunters. They have a thing for cutting us in half from the waist down but I don't know anymore.
“What if it’s like an infection; like my body’s flooding with adrenalin before I go into shock or something?" Scott asks and I snicker in return. He doesn’t even know what is happening, let alone that he is now a werewolf.
“You worked out a lot over break right? Maybe it’s all starting to pay off,” The female suggests. They are absolutely clueless. It’s almost pathetic.
“Actually I think I’ve heard of this, it’s a specific kind of infection.”
“Are you serious?” Scott asks.
“Yeah I think it’s called lycanthropy,” I stiffen at the suggestion. Is he being serious? The female laughs although Scott stays silent. What can the other guy possibly know about my kind other than the crap in the books and movies?
“What is that? Is it bad?”
“Oh yeah it’s the worst, but only once a month.” 
I can’t believe how clueless Scott is. Has he seriously never heard of lycanthropy. I mean really come on. Does he not watch T.V or read books?
“Once a month?” Scott replies and I practically palm my face. He’s a werewolf yet he has no clue what lycanthropy is?
“Mhhm on the night of a full moon,” the other guy howls and gets shoved and laughs. I can practically hear the female rolling her eyes.
“Hey you’re the one that heard a wolf howling.”
“Yeah and there could be something seriously wrong with me," Scott worries.
“I know, you’re a werewolf,” He growls and I feel a sudden urge to punch him in the face, “Okay obviously I’m kidding, but if you see me in shop class trying to melt all the silver I can find its cause Friday’s a full moon.”
I roll my eyes. Does he seriously believe everything he reads or sees on television? Silver doesn’t effect us in a special way.
They stop walking, “I could have sworn this was it. I saw the body, the deer came running, and I dropped my inhaler,” Scott spoke.
“Yeah this is definitely the place,” The female replies.
“Maybe the killer moved the body,” the other suggests.
“If he did I hope he left my inhaler those things are like 80 bucks,” Scott replies as I stand in sight. I can see the dark shaggy brown hair which belongs to Scott and the short buzz cut which belongs to the other guy and as my eyes focus on the female, I recognise her strawberry blonde hair and as her gaze falls on me. I know those brown eyes belong to Belle Sparks, Kristin’s younger sister.
The other guy shoves Scott and they both stand straight as they look at me. I see recognition in Belle’s eyes although she doesn’t say anything.
“What are you doing here huh? This is private property,” I ask as I walk towards them and stop when I’m a few feet away from them.
“Sorry man we didn’t know.”
“Yeah we were just looking for something but uh forget it,” Scott replies and I grab the inhaler from my pocket and throw it at him. He catches it without showing any effort and I turn my back before I walk away.
“Alright come on, I got to get to work,” Scott says. I can hear them perfectly clear even as I gain distance from them. It’s one of the perks of being a werewolf, we have super hearing.
“Dude that was Derek Hale, You remember right he’s only like a few years older than us.”
“Remember what?”
“His family, they all burned to death in a fire like ten years ago and he dated Kristin.”
Of course the annoying one knew Kristin. I wonder if that is her cousin Stanley, no that’s not his name it was something ridiculous like Stiles, but I don’t think that’s it either.
“Actually it was like six years,” Belle corrects him and I start to wonder how much Kristin has changed over the years.
“Well I wonder what he is doing back.”
“I don’t know, come on,” Scott replies and I watch intently as they all walk away. I wonder if the new little wolf is going to be a problem.

The scents hit me as I get closer to my house. I can smell them and I feel the sudden urge to start walking in the opposite direction although I know one of them will follow me at least.
“What are you doing here?” I ask as I approach the house. Tina and Phoebe are sitting on the steps.
"Hey to you too,” Tina stands to her feet and approaches me and I watch as her blonde hair bounces with each movement.
“Is that how you greet all your old friends?” Tina asks as she stops walking once she reaches me.
“No sometimes I’m much meaner, just ask Tane,” I reply and Tina scowls.
“What did you do to my brother?” Tina asks.
“Why don’t you ask him yourself?”
“Because he’s always at the bimbo’s house,” Tina rolls her eyes and crosses her arms. Part of me wants to snap at her for calling Kristin a bimbo but I manage to look unphased by the insult.
“Have you ever thought that maybe that’s your fault,” I reply as I make sure not to show any emotion.
“How is it my fault?” Tina asks confused as Phoebe stands to her feet and starts making her way towards us.
“Maybe if you were nice Kristin wouldn’t mind spending time at your place,” I explain.
“Well maybe if Kristin wasn’t such a self-righteous bitch than Tina wouldn’t mind being nice,” Phoebe stands beside Tina with a matching scowl on her face.
“Whatever I don’t care, why are you here?” I ask them both.
“We came to say hi and sorry about your sister. I can smell her from here,” Tina apologises although I don’t feel comforted, not even in the slightest.
“Okay well you can go now,” I reply and give them one of my intimidating glares hoping they will leave soon after.
“Well aren’t you charming,” Phoebe retorts as she rolls her brown eyes which match her long brown hair. She is pretty, but far too irritating to be around. Phoebe and Tina are one and the same.
“Whatever, can you two leave now?” I ask and make sure to give them a matching scowl that shows just how much I don’t want their company, especially Tina’s. We have a long and complicated history. Tina and I used to be very close and when I started dating Kristin in my junior year Tina tried to break us apart.
“When you feel like some fun give me a call,” Tina replies before she grabs Phoebe’s hand and pulls her along towards her little small white Fiat Ritmo which is parked on the front lawn.
Yeah that’s going to happen never. I roll my eyes as I watch both Tina and Phoebe get in the car and leave my property. I silently pray that this is the first and last visit from both of them, but knowing Tina it’s only the start, and I shudder in response.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTECOMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX