Kristin: Bad Day Worst Night

(Previously: Derek visits Kristin and tells her to leave town, that Peter is the alpha and it’s not safe but she doesn’t listen. The next day Peter and Derek visit and Peter tests Derek by going to give Kristin the bite although he doesn’t and leaves, and Kristin kicks Derek out.)

“Earth to Kristin,” Michelle leans across the table and snaps her fingers in front of my face, dragging me away from my thoughts and I smile gratefully. All I can think about is what happened this morning. I can still feel Peter’s hand wrapped around my neck. I’ve never felt so useless, pathetic and weak at the same time.
What’s wrong with me?
“Derek trouble?” Michelle whispers before she grabs her third piece of pizza off the tray. This is her second attempt at trying to get me to open up about Derek. Michelle knows not to say his name too loudly. The two annoying cops are only a few tables away from us. They followed me into The Pizza Place which is busy as usual. Michelle asked me straight out if the allegations were true. I told her no and to my surprise she believed me and still believes me. 
I had to get out of the house and do something. Since my newest injury all I’ve done is gone to work and then gone home, and made up excuses when Michelle has tried to make plans to socialise outside of school. Talk about a crappy friend but I have been filling her in about my Derek drama during recess and lunch excluding the werewolf details.
“Derek who?” I reply and have to push against the wave of sadness as it tries to make its way around my body. I can’t believe I thought Derek and I had made progress, he was going to let Peter bite me.
Maybe that’s what Derek really wants; me to be just like him. I mean a test!? Does he really expect me to believe that?
“You know Cory has a friend I could set you up with. Just a date and then you know if you liked him-”
“I’m going to stop you right there. I really don’t think I’m ready to get back into the “dating scene” not after my luck.” I interrupt. In fact I haven’t had a single relationship that has lasted more than three months well except for Tane and that was a disaster. Besides I really need to figure out what the hell I’m doing.
I feel like I’m just existing and I need more than that. Michelle’s passion is teaching and shaping children’s lives and I don’t even know if I have a passion. My worst fear is getting stuck and never doing anything with my life; even Cory is living his passion which is owning his own business. I haven’t tried that one . . . Maybe I should.
Hmmm on second thought I really don’t think I’d like being tied down like that.
“Or maybe that’s the reason why you should try. Those cops are cute.” Michelle sneaks a glance at them.
“I think you mean irritating and annoying.”
“Nope I meant cute.” Michelle smirks in between bites.
“You really should stop talking about me. Kristin must be getting sick of hearing it but then again . . .” Cory smirks down at us. I swear he is secretly a ninja or something. He just appears out of nowhere or maybe I just don’t pay enough attention.
It’s probably both and exactly what I need; a distraction.
“I just can’t help myself.” Michelle giggles like a little school girl and Cory’s goofy grin surfaces. Maybe I should consider the match making job seriously although that would get boring after a while.
“You two need to get a storage room. You have one of those right?” I ask Cory who blushes slightly in response.
Aww so cute.
“That’ll set a good example for my employees.” Cory chuckles. It’s almost odd hearing him say that. I never would’ve thought six years ago that Cory would own his own restaurant by the time he was 23 although he did have his parents invest in it, and got a loan from the bank, but still he is doing a great job running it.
“Well I mean you could always give them pointers. I’m sure they’ll appreciate it.” I reply sarcastically and Michelle almost chokes on the bite of pizza and has to guzzle down her glass of Coke.
My bad.
“That wouldn’t be awkward.” Cory laughs.
I shrug, “Just trying to help.”
“Of course you are.” Cory pats me on the head like a dog before he leaves us and heads backstage where all the magic happens, and by magic I mean pizza and mind blowing garlic bread that I can’t wait to get inside of me.
Ass!
“I’m so complaining about the food now.” I joke and Michelle laughs and dries the tears from her eyes that accumulated due to the choking and coughing fit.
Again my bad.
“You’re such a bad ass.” Michelle smirks.
“I know right!”
Michelle’s smile leaves and I know the fun part is over. “Seriously though you’ve been dodging the Derek topic all night. What really happened between you two?” Michelle asks and I hold in the sigh and eye roll.
Where do I even start?
“Derek has commitment issues and spends a lot of time and effort distancing himself, and I just can’t be bothered trying to get him to stop and open up to me and not deliberately screw it up accidentally out of habit. That makes sense right? You know what I mean.”
“It’s self-preservation basically. He’s loved and lost and doesn’t want to get hurt again. I mean losing your entire family basically would be horrible and beyond imaginable. I don’t even want to think about it any longer.”
Michelle studied a bit of Psychology as well during college and usually it’s just annoying but it has its useful moments every now and then.
“Yeah it would.”
Now he has one of them back . . . But Peter killed Laura how can Derek follow him around and follow his orders? I don’t understand. I wish I did . . . I wish I could but I just can’t. Not after this morning. Even if it was a test and Derek knew all along.
“You’re zoning out on me again.” Michelle raises her voice just loud enough to gain back my concentration and attention.
“I’m sorry.” I apologise.
“Don’t apologise. I get it you love Derek and unfortunately the heart never listens to the head. You should go talk to him and try and work this out. I mean I don’t know him in person but I’ve heard enough to know that he cares about you. He just needs a push and someone to fight for him.” Michelle gives me her usual words of wisdom but after this morning I can’t risk it. I get the feeling that if I rock up to the house Peter will take that as me saying I want the bite and honestly I don’t think it’s worth the risk. Sure it would be great to have the strength and speed and healing ability but I’ll never figure out my life if I’m not alive to live it.
“I don’t think that’s going to work.”
“Why not?”
“He has a visitor and we don’t get along so well.” I reply and it’s not a complete lie. Peter and I were friends and we did get along but he’s changed which I guess being in a coma for six years would do that to a guy. Although the Peter I know is too far gone and I don’t trust him at all anymore.
How the hell can Derek even stand to be around him?
Does an Alpha really hold that amount of power?
Am I overreacting?
Is there any chance of Derek and me actually working out and lasting as a couple?
I don’t know what to do. Why can’t there be some holy person that can see your different futures and lay out your paths for you?
Stop doing this! You came out here to escape your annoying thoughts and socialise. Stop it right now!
“Are Phoebe and Tina back in town?” Michelle is half serious and half joking.
“God no,” I chuckle in relief. They’re the last people I want to see right now. I have enough problems as it is and they’re both Hales.
Is that a sign?
“Frat buddy from College?”
I can’t help but chuckle. Just imagining Derek in a frat is bizarre and crazy. Although the smile disappears when I realise I don’t even know if Derek went to college. Wow I really have no idea what he’s done in the past six years.
That can’t be healthy for a relationship.
“Doubt it.”
“So what are you going to do?” Michelle asks.
Honestly I don’t know what to do. My choices are to either break free from Derek or hang in there and somehow make it work even though he is following orders from a psychopath. Plus he’s harder to crack open than one of those high tech bank vaults that I know absolutely nothing about. Give me a lock and a hair pin and I’ll unlock that bad boy but safe cracking isn’t a skill I’ve ever needed.  Supernatural creatures don’t tend to keep their victims in safes.
“I don’t like giving up but I might not have a choice.” I shrug. The more I think about it the more I’m realising how little we communicated most of the time. I did most of the talking and the sharing.
“Well if you decide to throw in the towel I’ll have a few options for you, and then we can double plus they won’t be on the run from the law that’s an added bonus.”
I force a smile although it’s becoming more of a task as the seconds pass by, “I’ll keep you posted.” 
It’s not much longer before I call it a night and go home early. Even though Derek has only just recently started spending the night it almost feels empty without him. God I’m pathetic.
I hate that I miss him.
After brushing my teeth I order my brain to shut the hell up before I change and get in my warm comfy bed. Forget about this morning. Forget about everything.
Hahahahaha yeah that’s not going to happen. My brain mocks me as the uncertainty starts to nag at me.
If Derek and I are over than I have to officially end it right now. I can’t keep doing this. I can’t keep living this way. All I can do is hope and pray that Peter won’t force the bite on me. I think I’ll gear up just in case.
After changing clothes, wrapping extra bandage around my torso and concealing weapons in my boots, belt and back I head for my car and Derek’s house even though part of me is screaming and telling me to turn the hell around. I’m in no state to fight but I can’t walk away either.
It’s official. I’m brain dead.  I should go join that gang in Oz and get a new brain along with the scarecrow. At least I think it’s the scarecrow that wanted the brain. I didn’t really read the book or watch the movie properly.
There’s two cars parked near the No Entry sign, and I feel the dread pass right through me like a terrible chill; the kind that takes forever to get warm again. It’s the hunters. They’re going to attack Derek.
I practically jump out of my parked car and run through the forest as fast as my legs will allow. Derek is innocent he hasn’t killed anyone; they can’t just kill him. Not if they’re sticking by the code.
Kate!
I’m so focussed on making it to Derek that I don’t notice them until it’s too late. As I reach the house I feel someone grab me and wrap their arms around me, and just seconds later three more emerge from the trees with one of them being Kate.
 “Let me go!” I demand and get ready to grab one of my weapons. I never thought I’d have to attack a fellow hunter.
“Did you come to join the hunt?” Kate asks.
“You can’t do this. Derek hasn’t killed anyone.”
Damn this guy has a strong grip!
Kate sighs, “Oh honey you really need to rethink your taste in men.”
“Please Kate don’t do this.” I beg.
“I have to. It’s the only way to catch the Alpha, and I’m sick of sitting around and doing nothing.”
Maybe I should tell her and then Kate might leave Derek alone.
Who am I kidding? Kate has already decided. She is going to hurt Derek even if I do tell her who the Alpha is.
“Kate!?” Struggling is useless not to mention painful.
“I’m sorry Kristin but the Alpha needs to be put down. You can join me?” Kate offers.
Yeah right. I shake my head, and have to hold in the wince as his grip around me tightens. It’s now or never. I can’t let Kate do this.
My head snaps back with full force and the man cries out in pain before he releases me and stumbles back a few steps. Is Derek really not hearing any of this commotion? Has he gone deaf since the last time I saw him?
The two guys come at me at the same time. I don’t recognise them which is going to make the guilt less heavy and I quickly kick the older bald one in the balls before I turn my attention to the Adam Sandler look alike. He is grinning at me like a creep and rushes me expecting me to do the same move again, but I freshen it up and smack him in the nose as hard as I can with my palm, and he joins the guy rolling on the ground. The third guy thinks he has the upper hand and strikes from behind but I quickly turn around and not only kick him in the balls but also break his nose. That’s the third one down, now there’s only Kate.
“I forgot how good you were. I love it when you play dirty,” Kate smiles and has her hand resting on the gun sitting in her belt ready to strike.
How did I not realise that Kate’s a psychotic bitch?
I can’t believe I looked up to her and trusted her.
“Kate I don’t want to fight you. I thought we were friends.” It’s my turn to ready myself to attack.
“You picked the wrong side.” Kate shrugs.
“You’re the one responsible for the fire and now you’re going to kill another innocent werewolf?”
Kate laughs, “It’s called being proactive. They all turn into killers in the end. I saved us from a few future jobs.”
“There were children and humans in that fire. What happened to you Kate? What was so terrible that it turned you into . . . Into this monster?”
“It’s called life sweetie.” Kate smirks before I feel pain in the back of my skull and the darkness drags me down.

The pain is blinding as my eyes start to flutter open. At first the scene around me is blurry and takes several seconds before my vision begins to clear. I have no idea where I am. The place is dark and dreary and looks to be underground, and I try to fight against my bindings. My hands are tied behind the back of the chair, and my feet are secured to the two front legs.
This is far too familiar. It’s reminding me of the time I was tortured in the basement by Julian’s mate all those years ago, and I see Derek's lifeless body as it flashes before my eyes.
Is Kate going to kill me too?
I need to get out of here. Quietly but forcefully I start to thrash my hands against the rope, and ignore the pain as it starts cutting into my skin. If I can free my hands then I can untie my feet and try and find Derek.
A voice interrupts my escape attempt and I instantly stop moving just before the metal door slides open. It’s the bald guy I kicked in the nuts. Well I can already tell this isn’t going to be a nice social visit.
“So you guys attack and kidnap your own people now?” I ask as he slides the door closed and I can’t help but gulp as he moves towards me. I preferred the door open.
This is not going to end well for me.
He makes sure to get right in my face, “You stopped being one of us the minute you chose to go against us.”
“What you’re doing is wrong.”
“No the code is what’s wrong. How are we meant to get any real work done with all the limitations?”
“You’re talking about murdering innocent women, men and children.”
“They’re just animals. How is it any different than putting down cattle?”
“Hmm I dunno maybe because they’re not cattle you MORON!” I start thrashing again as the anger gets the better of me although he slaps my across the face like a little bitch and I stop almost shocked.
Did he really just slap me?
“Wow I must have really done a good job. Are your balls stuck up inside you? You fight like a little bitch.”
What the hell is wrong with me!? Shut the hell up.
He chuckles slightly before his hand grips my chin. I try to fight against him, but he slobbers on me before I have the chance to try and get free from his grip. After it registers in my mind I bite his lip and have to spit out the little amount of blood that managed to make its way into my mouth.
I think I’m going to be sick. I need mouthwash ASAP along with some bleach although I don’t think even that’ll be enough to get the feral taste of him out of my mouth. I really need to learn to keep my mouth shut.
“You stupid bitch!” He strikes again although this time it’s his fist colliding with my face, and the pain is instant. It takes all my effort not to wince out loud. There’s no way I’m giving him the satisfaction.
The door slides open and Kate enters the room looking unimpressed when she looks at me. I gather it’s because of the bruise I can almost feel forming on my cheek just under my eye. I wonder if there’s a matching cut.
“What did I tell you?” Kate asks him and he just shrugs.
“That bitch started it,” he seethes and Kate crosses her arms over her chest in response and nods towards the door. He doesn’t question her and gives me a dirty look before he leaves the room.
Great because Kate is totally the person I want to talk to right now.
“Sorry about that he has anger issues.” Kate smiles before she gently grips my chin and inspects the wound. “It doesn’t look that bad. I can get some ice for it if you want.” Kate offers but I shake my head and she lets go of her grip.
“Why am I here?”
“I can’t have you running off to my brother.”
“Are you going to kill me?”
Kate laughs, “Oh come on Kristin.” Kate rolls her eyes. “I really don’t want to hurt you but it’s up to you what happens. We made a great team and we can always join forces again.”
“I’d rather you kill me.”
Kate’s smile falters and she sighs in frustration, “He’s just a stupid mutt Kristin are you really going to pick him over your own kind?”
“I guess I am.”
“Well I hope you change your mind. I’ve got to go and introduce someone to Derek but don’t worry I’ll be back.” Kate smiles before she leaves the room and closes the door behind her.
Come on Kristin you can get out of here. I tell myself as I start trying to loosen the rope again and work towards gaining my freedom. It feels like hours have passed although sadly I know in reality it’s probably only been half an hour; maybe 45 minutes at tops.
Damn it!
Oh god! The sudden sharp pain is moving around my body. It’s not from the bang on the head or the punch to the face and it’s not my latest Alpha wound. That pain is completely different. It’s something I’ve never felt before. I can’t move my body.
What is happening to me?!
No that’s not possible. I’m human and Derek said humans rarely feel the bond let alone the pain caused to their partner or whatever. Although I’ve been shocked a couple of times from faulty power cords and now that I think it about it the pain is similar of course much more painful.
Oh no they are shocking and torturing Derek.
I have to get out of here.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it? I really wasn’t sure about adding Cory because of Cory Monteiths recent passing so I decided to keep his part short. Sorry if it offends anyone. R.I.P Cory.
VOTECOMMENTFANADD TO LIBRARY... XOX