▸[PART NINETEEN] BABY

[PART NINETEEN] BABY

N:36 C:30 A:9 H:7 L:5 B:NB

April 2030

Noah brushes his thumb over my cheek to remove the tears. He plants his lips against my sweaty forehead and smiles. His squeezes my hand and looks at the doctors. Pain continues to shoots through my entire body, I don't remember there being this much pain.

"One more push, baby, you can do it."

"Okay, I can do it." I bite my lip and inhale a breath.

I muster up the last of my strength and push. Relief courses through my body as I hear the crying. Noah squeezes my hand and we look at the doctors. They place our bright pink, squealing baby on my chest.

Tears pour down my cheeks as I stroke her cheek. Noah smooths my hair back and kisses my head. He removes a tear from his cheek and beams with happiness.

"I'm so proud of you."

"I can't believe we're finally holding her. I love you so much." I snuffle.

"Come on, Dad, we need you to cut the cord."

Noah walks around and chops the cord. One of the nurses take our daughter, so I clutch onto Noah's hand and watch. He nuzzles his face next to mine and kisses me.

"She's right there, she's okay."

I nod but it's weird being without her.

Once we're both cleaned up, she's handed back and I go back to crying.

Noah rests his arm on the back of the bed and wraps his other arm around mine.

"What names are you thinking about?"

"I have no idea." I bite my lip.

"Rest up, we have some time to work it out."

* * * * *

The door opens and Noah leads our children into the room. He places them at the end of the bed and they look at me with wonder. Lydia tries to crawl closer but Noah tugs her back.

"Hang on, monkey." He laughs.

"Are you ready to meet your new sister?"

They eagerly nod their heads.

I lean forward and show them the chubby face swaddled in pink blankets.

"What's her name?" Hunter asks.

"We haven't decided."

"Can I hold her?"

"Yes." I nod.

Noah takes the baby and places her on Hunter's lap. He leans down and kisses her head. She wrinkles her nose which makes us laugh. The sudden burst of laughter has her bursting into tears.