▸GRADUATION

GRADUATION

GRADUATION

Wednesday, the 31st of May

Our graduation robes are uncomfortable and smell musty, but as I fix the cap, I can only smile because soon enough, I'll be tossing my cap along with my worries. The moment I've been waiting for is finally here.

Samantha organises our group into a line so somebody can take a photo of us. I pull Percy aside so we can have our own photo together, which Annika goes on about how adorable it is, especially since we won high school sweethearts.

"Can the graduating seniors please form an alphabetical line? It's almost time."

I wander towards the middle of the line, smiling when I see a few familiar faces of girls I've had classes with. We follow the teacher into the room and they direct us to our seats.

Noah is the first person I see on the stage, and he makes my heart flutter. He looks especially good in his suit today.

Somebody welcomes everyone to our graduation and different students thank the teachers and other faculty for their support and guidance throughout our last year. I slump in my chair and stare at Noah.

Where has time gone? Sometimes I swear it was just last week that I wandered into his classroom, that I finally trusted my feelings and allowed myself to fall in love with him or plan a future with a man I've only known for a year. Then sometimes it feels like I've known this man my entire life. It's strange how love can feel timeless.

Somebody stands up and it snaps me back to reality. I follow the line of students to the side of the stage and take a deep breathe. The principle calls students names and everyone files across. I happily accept mine and join the lineup on stage.

Once everyone has their certificates, a group picture is taken and we're finally able to toss our caps. We leave the stage and I find Dad standing to the side with flowers.

"Congratulations." He smiles.

"Thank you so much!"

"Mr. East." Dad waves Noah over.

"What are you doing?" My heart races.

"Hi, Mr. Landon." Noah smiles.

"Can you take a picture for us?" Dad offers his phone and Noah accepts.

Dad wraps his arm around my waist and I hold onto the flowers and my certificate. Noah snaps a couple of photos, then hands the phone back.

"Now one of you two."

"Dad." I raise an eyebrow.

"Come on, I just want one picture with all your teachers."

Noah laughs as he stands beside me. I tug on a smile and relax my shoulders. Once he's done, I step away and look around.