▸THE FOOLED

THE FOOLEDSaturday, the 28th of April

THE FOOLED
Saturday, the 28th of April

Annika squeezes my hand for support and bounces with excitement. I inhale a deep breath and attempt to push the nervous thoughts from my mine. I've practiced my entrance so many times, but I'm still so scared of tripping.

Perhaps it's because I stupidly took Samantha up on her offer to borrow an outfit which is a size too small for my figure. I'm afraid the seam will break and I'll be left naked and afraid on stage.

"I hope Chad buys my date." Annika grins.

"Good luck." I smile.

Samantha introduces Annika and she strides through the curtains with confidence. The bidding starts at ten dollars and she sells for twenty-five to a man called Chad. I bet she's leaping off the stage with joy.

"Please welcome Charlie! She's a beauty from Australia."

My stomach knots because that isn't Samantha. I'm nudged forward which somehow gets my legs working. I step through the curtains, twirl around and blow a kiss.

Samantha is talking to somebody while this other female is hosting the booth.

"We'll start the bidding with ten dollars."

Percy raises his hand along with someone else; Jarrod. I could kill Samantha.

"Twenty?"

Jarrod and Percy continue raising the bid until it hits the fifty dollar mark. Percy shoots Jarrod a glare while he smirks in all his glory.

"Sold to the man with the rose."

He meets me by the stage and offers a beautiful red rose.

"I only want to talk."

Samantha appears on the stage and starts the next introduction. So this was planned. I cannot believe the audacity.

I glance at him and sigh.

"The minute I feel uncomfortable, I'm leaving."

"Understandable." Jarrod nods.

Jarrod pays the woman for the date and we walk away from the booth. Percy joins us and I smile with relief.

"Sorry about the date." Percy frowns.

"Don't stress about it." I shrug.

"Can we grab food because I'm hungry?"

"Sure."

Jarrod follows as I work out all the food options. I settle for a burger and some curly chili cheese fries. We sit at a very public bench with Jarrod across from us.

"I don't recall this being a packaged deal." Jarrod frowns.

"She's my girlfriend, what were you expecting?"